GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Veteran/unique applicant... but do I even have a chance?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Veteran/unique applicant... but do I even have a chance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 13:53
If you actually read through all of this and take the time to reply, I would be incredibly grateful. As an MBA hopeful for the 2018 intake, I am in the process of preparing my applications to submit in Round 3. I believe I do have somewhat of a unique profile/story, but I am not sure if I even have a chance of being admitted to a top-20 business school, let alone a top-10. I know the likes of HBS/Kellogg/any M7 would be beyond a hope and a prayer, but would you please be so kind as to tell me what schools I have a chance of getting into?

- 30 year old Asian (Korean) male

Veteran (USMC), Graduated from UCLA, Psychology major, 2.9 GPA (more on that below)
- After high school, I served in the United States Marine Corps, with one combat deployment to Iraq. Immediately afterward, I matriculated at UCLA. I did not transition well from the Marine Corps to UCLA... I really suffered from intense PTSD and anxiety during my first two years of undergrad, without any support, and I was dismissed after two years for poor academic performance (< 2.0 GPA). I worked various jobs for two years (see below), while reflecting on my various passions and strengths, and reapplied to UCLA with newfound determination. I excelled academically my last two years (~ 3.75 GPA, switched major from Biology to Psychology, completed all major requirements, even took on and completed two minors in that time); however, my cumulative GPA is low, a 2.89 to be exact.

Test Scores:
- I took both the GRE and the GMAT once (only studied 4 days for GRE and 2 days for GMAT, as I was working 80-100 hours/week at the time) and scored relatively well on each of them, but I am worried that the admissions committee will ding me for my GMAT Quant score, though I did do better on the GRE Quant section.
- GMAT: 730 (96th percentile)
Verbal 44 (98th percentile)
Quant 47 (63rd percentile)
AWA: 5.5
- GRE
Verbal 730 (93rd percentile)
Quant 760 (91st percentile)
AWA: 4.5

Work experience:
- 3 years as a high school science teacher at a private school, mixed student population (half international, half underserved/marginalized students). As the only science teacher at the school, I teach six different science classes every day (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Psychology, AP Environmental Science). Even with no credential or formal training, I have raised the standard of instruction and education here during the past three years.
- I have also tutored for the past 9 years.
- I currently work as the Assistant Director/Head Tutor at a for-profit academy.
- (Regarding the above-mentioned odd-jobs: I was a nanny, owned a liquor store, worked at a dental lab as a technician and in sales, and managed a medical marijuana dispensary. Excelled at all of these, and I could write about for any one of them, but I can really talk about what I did at the dispensary, from front desk to partner in less than a year, etc. Would adcoms just throw my application away, or might they be just a little intrigued?)

Extra-Curriculars:
- Every Friday for the past 6 years, I have served in the Awana Children's Ministry at my church. Started as a normal Leader (in charge of 5-10 students), then became Game Director (led games for 400+ students), and I am now the Club Commander (oversee the entire ministry, including 5 pastors, 4 Directors, 80+ Leaders, and 400+ students; in charge of training, events, discipline).
- I have started two non-profit tutoring centers that bring access to services to students that otherwise would not be able to afford them. After teaching full-time, I tutor 4-7 hours/day Monday-Saturday, and I have personally helped hundreds of students achieve things that they never could have dreamed of, from significantly improving their SAT/ACT scores to going to Ivy League schools.
- Head Coach of a junior high boys' basketball team.

Post-MBA:
- Management Consulting at MBB, in any sector/industry. Eventually, I would like to work in the Social Sector, specifically working on Education projects.

Targets:
- Reach: Harvard, Columbia, Kellogg, Booth, Sloan, Tuck, Fuqua, Ross
- More likely? UCLA Anderson, other 15-20.
- Have been in contact with USC Marshall, Vanderbilt Owen, and Wisconsin.
- I request your help and advice here... I want to be realistic; I don't want to apply (and throw hundreds/thousands of dollars away) if I am dead in the water, but I know the value of a top-MBA and I know I have the wherewithal to succeed in any program.

Questions:
- What are my chances at those top schools/programs?
- If your answer to the first question is "slim to none," which programs should I apply to?
- How worrisome is my GPA?
- Should I be concerned about the GMAT Quant score? Should I submit only my GRE, GMAT, or both? Should I retake the GMAT?
- Is applying in Round 3 detrimental to one's chances of admission, compared to Round 1 and Round 2 submissions, as all of the online material seems to indicate?

Thank you so much!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Veteran/unique applicant... but do I even have a chance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 14:44
bobojohn1001 wrote:
If you actually read through all of this and take the time to reply, I would be incredibly grateful. As an MBA hopeful for the 2018 intake, I am in the process of preparing my applications to submit in Round 3. I believe I do have somewhat of a unique profile/story, but I am not sure if I even have a chance of being admitted to a top-20 business school, let alone a top-10. I know the likes of HBS/Kellogg/any M7 would be beyond a hope and a prayer, but would you please be so kind as to tell me what schools I have a chance of getting into?
hi @bobojohn1001 Thanks for reaching out! Step one is believe in yourself! And step 2: find someone else who also believes in your story and has the admissions background to help you present your most compelling case. I have a former adcom background and I see several things here in your profile that resonate and can make you a compelling candidate. Yes- you had a bumpy start-- but this is a resilience story--
and I am impressed with what you have done and the obstacles you have overcome.

- 30 year old Asian (Korean) male

Veteran (USMC), Graduated from UCLA, Psychology major, 2.9 GPA (more on that below)
- After high school, I served in the United States Marine Corps, with one combat deployment to Iraq. Immediately afterward, I matriculated at UCLA. I did not transition well from the Marine Corps to UCLA... I really suffered from intense PTSD and anxiety during my first two years of undergrad, without any support, and I was dismissed after two years for poor academic performance (< 2.0 GPA). I worked various jobs for two years (see below), while reflecting on my various passions and strengths, and reapplied to UCLA with newfound determination. I excelled academically my last two years (~ 3.75 GPA, switched major from Biology to Psychology, completed all major requirements, even took on and completed two minors in that time); however, my cumulative GPA is low, a 2.89 to be exact.

Test Scores:
- I took both the GRE and the GMAT once (only studied 4 days for GRE and 2 days for GMAT, as I was working 80-100 hours/week at the time) and scored relatively well on each of them, but I am worried that the admissions committee will ding me for my GMAT Quant score, though I did do better on the GRE Quant section.
- GMAT: 730 (96th percentile) A 730 is a 730 and that's a great score-- so don't stress too much about the 47.
Verbal 44 (98th percentile)
Quant 47 (63rd percentile)
AWA: 5.5
- GRE
Verbal 730 (93rd percentile)
Quant 760 (91st percentile) The higher quant score here is good to have also.
AWA: 4.5

Work experience:
- 3 years as a high school science teacher at a private school, mixed student population (half international, half underserved/marginalized students). As the only science teacher at the school, I teach six different science classes every day (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Psychology, AP Environmental Science). Even with no credential or formal training, I have raised the standard of instruction and education here during the past three years. This says you are very quant saavy and smart- just from being able to teach such a wide range of difficult courses- your ability to do well in this reflects well for you.
- I have also tutored for the past 9 years.
- I currently work as the Assistant Director/Head Tutor at a for-profit academy.
- (Regarding the above-mentioned odd-jobs: I was a nanny, owned a liquor store, worked at a dental lab as a technician and in sales, and managed a medical marijuana dispensary. Excelled at all of these, and I could write about for any one of them, but I can really talk about what I did at the dispensary, from front desk to partner in less than a year, etc. Would adcoms just throw my application away, or might they be just a little intrigued?) I'm intrigued....

Extra-Curriculars:
- Every Friday for the past 6 years, I have served in the Awana Children's Ministry at my church. Started as a normal Leader (in charge of 5-10 students), then became Game Director (led games for 400+ students), and I am now the Club Commander (oversee the entire ministry, including 5 pastors, 4 Directors, 80+ Leaders, and 400+ students; in charge of training, events, discipline).
- I have started two non-profit tutoring centers that bring access to services to students that otherwise would not be able to afford them. After teaching full-time, I tutor 4-7 hours/day Monday-Saturday, and I have personally helped hundreds of students achieve things that they never could have dreamed of, from significantly improving their SAT/ACT scores to going to Ivy League schools.
- Head Coach of a junior high boys' basketball team.

Post-MBA:
- Management Consulting at MBB, in any sector/industry. Eventually, I would like to work in the Social Sector, specifically working on Education projects.

Targets:
- Reach: Harvard, Columbia, Kellogg, Booth, Sloan, Tuck, Fuqua, Ross
- More likely? UCLA Anderson, other 15-20.
- Have been in contact with USC Marshall, Vanderbilt Owen, and Wisconsin.
- I request your help and advice here... I want to be realistic; I don't want to apply (and throw hundreds/thousands of dollars away) if I am dead in the water, but I know the value of a top-MBA and I know I have the wherewithal to succeed in any program.

Questions:
- What are my chances at those top schools/programs? From this list- I see Tuck, Fuqua and Ross and UCLA as best odds-- along with USC, Owen and Wisconsin. We at Stratus can help you devise a strategy that has some reach/some target and some safety programs.
- If your answer to the first question is "slim to none," which programs should I apply to?
- How worrisome is my GPA? It can be overcome with optional essay giving context
- Should I be concerned about the GMAT Quant score? Should I submit only my GRE, GMAT, or both? Should I retake the GMAT?
- Is applying in Round 3 detrimental to one's chances of admission, compared to Round 1 and Round 2 submissions, as all of the online material seems to indicate? Round 3 is a tough one-- I see you having best odds going early R1 in Fall 2018 apps-- we'd love to talk to you more about how we can help-- reach out to us for a free consult here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thank you so much!

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

Intern
Intern
Re: Veteran/unique applicant... but do I even have a chance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 17:40
Thank you so much for your reply and insightful advice, Donna StratusMBACounselor! It was extremely helpful, and I sincerely appreciate it. I really want to take a shot at the M7 schools...but everyone is telling me that Round 3 will be too difficult, and I have one too many red flags. I'm applying R3 because I legitimately couldn't apply R1 or R2, and I need to start school this Fall. I will only choose a couple of M7 schools to apply to; any advice as to which two I should choose? Where might I have the best chance? Which schools are more willing to take chances on outliers? I was planning on applying to Harvard and Kellogg, maybe Columbia for the MBA/M.Ed. dual degree, but you did say I had a chance at Tuck. Per your counsel, I will definitely aim more for the schools ranked 10-15, maybe 10-20. Per your suggestion, Ross, Fuqua, Darden, UCLA, USC, Owen. I appreciate the free consultation and will certainly take advantage of it! Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Veteran/unique applicant... but do I even have a chance? &nbs [#permalink] 05 Feb 2018, 17:40

Veteran/unique applicant... but do I even have a chance?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap