Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Wait a year to re-apply? Or stick with a 'safety' school? [#permalink]
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a safety school, but if your heart is set on going somewhere that isn't a safety school and you end up at one of those other schools you might always wonder "What if?" Then again, you might not. That's a decision you'll have to make. 10 years from now are you going to regret not going to that school of your dreams? If so, wait the extra year and get even better prepared for it.

It's good that you're thinking ahead but I wouldn't stress out about this situation until you're actually faced with it. At this point, if you're in the same spot as me- you probably have way too much weighing you down to add something else, currently beyond your control, to the mix. Get your apps perfect and submitted and hope for the best.

If the best doesn't occur, and you're not going to be happy with that local regional school - I don't even know that I'd bother applying unless you're looking to stay in that area and just want an MBA.

Good luck!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
kdub09 wrote:
So I'm sure this is a common dilemma with most people. My situation is this: I'm currently working on my applications (haven't submitted any yet), but I have a couple of somewhat 'big brand' schools on my list. They aren't M-7's or anything, but think more along the lines of Cornell, Oxford, and UCLA. I'm a Canadian from Toronto, and my 'safety' schools are the Top-2 or 3 MBA programs in Canada, which are much less competitive to get into (and I'm quite confident about my chances for).

Unfortunately, the Canadian schools are very regional in nature and none of them have any recognition outside of Canada. I would love to go to a 'bigger name' like an Oxford or a Cornell, but am afraid that if I don't receive any admits from my target/reach schools this year, I'd be stuck waiting another whole year to reapply - either that, or stick with one of my Canadian safety schools and lose the international mobility/prestige I was looking for.

Another factor that weighs in on this is the fact that I dislike my current job very much - am looking forward to my pending exit, which is dependent on whether I get into the MBA program of my choice.

My question is this - in the event that I don't get admitted to my top choices for 2013 intake, should I wait to reapply for 2014 intake? Or is that 'international prestige' of a bigger name school not worth waiting another year of staying in a job that I've really grown out of? Should I just cut my losses and stick with my regional school safeties? I highly doubt I could just quit my current job, find another job elsewhere for a year, and then quit that once I start my MBA program in 2014 (dependent on admittance). Or am I just overvaluing the importance of a bigger name program from a non-regional school?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on how you weigh the decision to go with a regional safety school and give up on the dream of going to a bigger brand name program, versus sticking it out for another year longer (in a job you hate) for a second chance at a more recognized institution.

Thanks!

Well, rather than thinking in the amorphous terms of "prestige", I think the better approach to take would be "where am I likely to reach my goals? What will bring me further?" And this applies for personal stuff as much as professional. It's too easy to tell everyone "Yeah, sure wait until you get into Wharton, and then go ONLY there." But some people don't like Wharton. And some people wouldn't do great there. And others would. So, yes, aim for the best school you can, but the best means best for YOU, and best for what you want to do. And not some arbitrary objective seeming "Best". I mean, yes, I would tell ANYONE who got into HBS to go, but still, I wouldn't tell everyone to hold out for HBS...

Food for thought...
(ha! I almost typed "fool for thought"... :) )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thanks for the insights everyone!
GMAT Club Bot