GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 08:57

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1378
We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 07:59
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (00:57) correct 81% (01:09) wrong based on 196 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.

(A) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.
(B) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent.
(C) in which children are recalcitrant, in which change is the only constant, and in which uncertainty is prevalent.
(D) where children are recalcitrant, where change is the only constant and where uncertainty is prevalent.
(E) where children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/we-live-in-a ... 47654.html
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 852
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 08:40
B. D and E are out

C is out because of the redundant "in which"

A is not as parallel as B thus B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Posts: 461
Location: Milan Italy
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 09:53
m mmm
I prefer A because:
1. A) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.
That is not parallel in itself, because "the only constant" is not an adjective, so why should it be "uncertainty is prevalent"? In a certain sense, it is more parallel if you use three different constructions:
a. to be+ adjective
b. to be+ noun
c. verb

there is a second reason:
2. why banerjeea, who is not stupid, would have posted such a normal question, if it had not been tricky? :wink: :wink: :wink:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1435
Location: Germany
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 10:21
...so if it is not B) it must be C). maybe it is necessary to maintain "in which" before every phrase to avoid confusion, so its clear that every phrase refers to "world".
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 684
Location: Milwaukee
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Apr 2005, 11:44
2
good one banerjee

I think it is C here is why.

We live in a world is a noun clause followed by prepositional modifier/s

in A in addition to uncertainty prevails being not only not parallel but also lacks proper modifing structure to convey proper meaning.

in C you have a prepositional phrase "in which" to tie all non-restrictive phrases to the main clause (We live in a world).

So, what we learnt here is that when you have non essential clauses separated by commas you need to make sure non essential parts have proper modifying structure to link them to the main clause.
Hope this helps.
_________________

Praveen


Originally posted by praveen_rao7 on 06 Apr 2005, 11:07.
Last edited by praveen_rao7 on 06 Apr 2005, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 852
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 11:20
Nah
I still would have picked B on the test. The redundancy of in which throws me off and I have never seen any grammarian write like that.
With the endless pool of various practice questions out there, anything goes so I can’t be bothered as to why the answer is C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 204
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 13:17
praveen_rao7 wrote:
good one banerjee

I think it is C here is why.

We live in a world is a noun clause followed by prepositional modifier/s

in A in addition to uncertainty prevails being not only not parallel but also lacks proper modifing structure to convey proper meaning.

in C you have a prepositional phrase "in which" to tie all non-restrictive phrases to the main clause (We live in a world).

So, what we learnt here is that when you have non essential clauses separated by commas you need to make sure non essential parts have proper modifying structure to link them to the main clause.
Hope this helps.


Praveen

I think OG has one just like this question. Can you explain how we can better identify and tackle this type of question. Thanks

P
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 684
Location: Milwaukee
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 13:48
patrickpui wrote:
praveen_rao7 wrote:
good one banerjee

I think it is C here is why.

We live in a world is a noun clause followed by prepositional modifier/s

in A in addition to uncertainty prevails being not only not parallel but also lacks proper modifing structure to convey proper meaning.

in C you have a prepositional phrase "in which" to tie all non-restrictive phrases to the main clause (We live in a world).

So, what we learnt here is that when you have non essential clauses separated by commas you need to make sure non essential parts have proper modifying structure to link them to the main clause.
Hope this helps.


Praveen

I think OG has one just like this question. Can you explain how we can better identify and tackle this type of question. Thanks

P


Let's start out with understanding what a sentence is?, how is it different from a clause. As you know sentence is used to express a complete thought. Most important characteristic of a sentence is that it needs to have an independent clause with modifiers to glorify or give more information on the thought you are trying to express. In other words an independent clause is a sentence minus all the modifiers.

Modifiers could be adjectives, adverbs, dependent clauses, phrases etc.

Further, you also have essential modifiers and non essential modifiers. As the names suggests essential modifiers (they could appear in any of the forms mentioned above) are required to complete the meaning of the sentence and non essential modifiers just give additional information and are not necessary for the sentence to stand on its own.

While answering verbal questions you should always keep this concept in your mind. When you are split between two choices you are almost always find misplaced modifier in one of the two choices.

Now coming back to the orginal question, this question follows following pattern

<Independent Clause>, <modifying Phrase A>, <modifying Phrase B>, <modifying Phrase C>

Now remember our talk on essential and non essential modifiers?. now is the time to apply it. First you need to make sure independent clause can stand on its own, next do the same for non essential phrases. Lastly, make sure modifying phrases are modifying what they are supposed to modify.

Let's try another example, first a simple one

Joe has a red colored book in the shelf, at the house

Joe owns the house on the corner, across the blue building, near the city hall.

Birds like to fly on the mountains, above the clouds, under the sun

Does it make sense now? Thanks
_________________

Praveen

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4183
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 18:43
Tricky question indeed. My first hunch is for B although Praveen gave a nice example. However, I believe that his examples include prepositional phrases which require different prepositions. For example, you can't say "house on the corner, the blue building..." because the "house" cannot be "on" the building but instead will be "across" the building. In this question, all prepositions apply to "in which" so there is no need to repeat it. Thus, it is only an enumeration based on the same root "in which". B seems better than A due to parallellism in passive construction.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 660
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2005, 19:03
banerjeea_98 wrote:
We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.

(A) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.
(B) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent.
(C) in which children are recalcitrant, in which change is the only constant, and in which uncertainty is prevalent.
(D) where children are recalcitrant, where change is the only constant and where uncertainty is prevalent.
(E) where children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent



Here is my explanation:

D, E is eliminated because you cannot use "where" in this context. Where is used to specify a location. Here we arent using "the world" to allude to a PHYSICAL location such as Chicago, or Austin or.....

C is wrong because what does the the 2nd "which" and 3rd "which" refer too? False parallelism


Independant Clause #1:

<We live in a world> --->

in which children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant ---> subordinate Clause.

Indedendant Clause #2:

UnCertainity is prevalent.

I'm torn between "A" and "B". Dunno why "A" is wrong. I cannot explain it because <uncertainty prevails> could also be an independant clause.

So my OA is B.

Although i CANNOT explain why A is wrong.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 660
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2005, 05:05
Paul wrote:
Tricky question indeed. My first hunch is for B although Praveen gave a nice example. However, I believe that his examples include prepositional phrases which require different prepositions. For example, you can't say "house on the corner, the blue building..." because the "house" cannot be "on" the building but instead will be "across" the building. In this question, all prepositions apply to "in which" so there is no need to repeat it. Thus, it is only an enumeration based on the same root "in which". B seems better than A due to parallellism in passive construction.


Paul,
I agree with your explanation but Could you elaborate on "all prepositions apply to "in which" so there is no need to repeat it."

When you say "prepositions" I'm guessing you are referring to the subordinate clauses [in which] children are recalcitrant, [in which ---> this is implicit] change is the only constant.

Is my explanation correct? Could you tell me if the aforementioned explanation where i "break down" the sentence is accurate.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1145
Location: Taiwan
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2005, 18:23
very confused,

A, B probably need relative pronoun to connect two independent clauses.

C may be the OA.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 684
Location: Milwaukee
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2005, 18:52
1
1
Again my 2 cents,

Looking at this problem some more, this is what I think.
Let's simplify this sentence some more.
Can you tell what is wrong with following sentence?

Joe is very smart, I've learnt a lot from him

compare this to...

We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are recalcitrant
Both these sentences uses structure

IC, IC where IC = independent clause

which is a serious breach of grammar

we can fix the first sentence in any of the following ways:

Joe is very smart; I've learnt a lot from him
Joe is very smart, and I've learnt a lot from him
Because Joe is very smart, I've learnt a lot from him

another way to make this sentence work with a slight change in meaning is by using a prepositional phrase ""in him"
Joe is very smart, in him I found a great teacher.

In essence, all we are trying here is to obtain a sentence structure that looks like this

IC, DC where DC = dependent clause

Using the same concept to our original sentece
adding in which to each clause after comma gives us a structure

IC,DC,DC and DC

Eventhough we could fix the sentence "We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are recalcitrant" in any of the ways mentioned above (for example, We live in a world in which crime is rampant, and children are recalcitrant is grammatically correct) it fails to convey the intended meaning. Hence
"We live in a world in which crime is rampant, in which children are recalcitrant would be more appropriate"

Therefore, choice C wins

Does this makes sense?
_________________

Praveen

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4183
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2005, 16:52
gmataquaguy wrote:
Paul,
I agree with your explanation but Could you elaborate on "all prepositions apply to "in which" so there is no need to repeat it."

When you say "prepositions" I'm guessing you are referring to the subordinate clauses [in which] children are recalcitrant, [in which ---> this is implicit] change is the only constant.

Is my explanation correct? Could you tell me if the aforementioned explanation where i "break down" the sentence is accurate.

What I mean is that you will not say:
A house across the Hilton valley, across the Hampstead ravine and across the Zolt mountains.
Instead, you would say: A house across the Hilton valley, the Hampstead ravine and the Zolt mountains. --> This will avoid you repeating unnecessarily the preposition "across" in the enumeration.

However, in this above example, we are talking about a relative pronoun "in which" which introduces a series of subordinate clauses(thanks for correcting me on this gmataquaguy) so it may be fair that we repeat the relative pronoun "in which" so that it links each and every dependent clauses to the independent clause. I would have to concur with Praveen's explanation because, I think, if we omit the relative pronoun, what is being enumerated after the first element "children are recalcitrant" could be considered ind. clauses in and of themselves and hence become run-on stentences.

This is something I admit is a very obscure rule that I cannot confirm with 100% certainty... 8-)
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 660
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2005, 16:56
Paul wrote:

What I mean is that you will not say:
A house across the Hilton valley, across the Hampstead ravine and across the Zolt mountains.
Instead, you would say: A house across the Hilton valley, the Hampstead ravine and the Zolt mountains. --> This will avoid you repeating unnecessarily the preposition "across" in the enumeration.

However, in this above example, we are talking about a relative pronoun "in which" which introduces a series of subordinate clauses(thanks for correcting me on this gmataquaguy) so it may be fair that we repeat the relative pronoun "in which" so that it links each and every dependent clauses to the independent clause. I would have to concur with Praveen's explanation because, I think, if we omit the relative pronoun, what is being enumerated after the first element "children are recalcitrant" could be considered ind. clauses in and of themselves and hence become run-on stentences.

This is something I admit is a very obscure rule that I cannot confirm with 100% certainty... 8-)


Paul, i love the way you parse a sentence. Could you elaborate on the following:

What does the relative pronoun "which" refer to in the orginal sentence?

Another question:

For a simple case listed below:

Wanda wore the dress that she had bought on Tuesday.

IC [indepedant clause] = Blue
DC [depedant clause] = Red

"That" is the relative pronoun and here "that" = Dress [Correct??]

Questions:

1) Can a relative pronoun refer to something besides just a simple noun [simple noun = one worded noun. For e.g. name, place, animal, thing, etc, etc]? If so could you provide a good example

2) When we have a DC being introduced by a relative pronoun is it MANDATORY for the DC to ALREADY have a subject & verb or can the "relative pronoun" count as the subject for the dependent clause?

For the example above:

IC = Wanda wore the dress.

DC = That she had bought on Tuesday.

However can the relative pronoun [relative pronoun here = that] provide the "subject" for the dependant clause or should the depedent clause already have a subject BESIDES the relative pronoun? In the above sentence the clarification isnt necessary but what about other DC.....

In the above case i realize that "she" in the DC is the subject and "had bought" is the verb. But could you have a DC where the relative pronoun provides the "subject". Is this even possible?

The reason i'm asking this is because it will really help us dope out run on sentences Vs IC, DC.......
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 1
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2005, 17:46
This grammar page argues that you can have a series of subordinate clauses introduced by only one coordinating conjunction. It gives the example:

"My dog Floyd bolts under the bed whenever thunder booms, strangers knock on the door, or I reach for the flea shampoo."

Whether this page is correct or not, however, I don't know. Just more grist for the mill. :-) I understand the logic of what Praveen is saying.[/url]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4183
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2005, 19:40
Quote:
What does the relative pronoun "which" refer to in the orginal sentence?

"world"
Quote:
Another question:

For a simple case listed below:

Wanda wore the dress that she had bought on Tuesday.

IC [indepedant clause] = Blue
DC [depedant clause] = Red

"That" is the relative pronoun and here "that" = Dress [Correct??]

:yes
Quote:
2) When we have a DC being introduced by a relative pronoun is it MANDATORY for the DC to ALREADY have a subject & verb or can the "relative pronoun" count as the subject for the dependent clause?

eg My parents bought the house which is around the corner
"which" is the relative pronoun playing the role of the subject.

Quote:
1) Can a relative pronoun refer to something besides just a simple noun [simple noun = one worded noun. For e.g. name, place, animal, thing, etc, etc]? If so could you provide a good example

From Webster onine grammar dictionnary: http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/clau ... estrictive

Some relative clauses will refer to more than a single word in the preceding text; they can modify an entire clause or even a series of clauses.
Charlie didn't get the job in administration, which really surprised his friends.
Charlie didn't get the job in administration, and he didn't even apply for the Dean's position, which really surprised his friends

_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50610
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 19:44
banerjeea_98 wrote:
We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.

(A) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.
(B) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent.
(C) in which children are recalcitrant, in which change is the only constant, and in which uncertainty is prevalent.
(D) where children are recalcitrant, where change is the only constant and where uncertainty is prevalent.
(E) where children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent



OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/we-live-in-a ... 47654.html
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 2094
Premium Member CAT Tests
We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 11:18
banerjeea_98 wrote:
We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.

(A) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.
(B) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent.
(C) in which children are recalcitrant, in which change is the only constant, and in which uncertainty is prevalent.
(D) where children are recalcitrant, where change is the only constant and where uncertainty is prevalent.
(E) where children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent



This question is a poor tool for practicing SC.
Its source is not official.
It creates conflict between two general rules: correct grammar and concision.
It also contravenes a few specific, subtler rules.

There are better and similar questions, for example, here, here, and here.
GMAT Club Bot
We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are &nbs [#permalink] 29 Dec 2017, 11:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.