GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.
  • MBA Interview Prep: How to Ace Your Interviews

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Learn the steps you need to take to ace your interviews and get accepted!

What are my chances of a top business school?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
What are my chances of a top business school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 04:15
Hi,

I am from Australia and studied a bachelor of Law (honours) and a Bachelor of Arts dual degree at Monash University. I have a 3.0gpa for the dual degree. During my undergraduate, I studied abroad at Oxford University, London School of Economics and at a University in Asia. I also have a masters in law from BPP University where I got a 3.5gpa (hardly a target university but work paid for it and sent me there). I also completed 2 levels of the CFA while working.

I have been working in BigLaw for two years in London since graduating. I am dual qualified in both the UK and Australia as a lawyer. I have completed rotations at work in private equity, M&A, reorgs and banking and finance, as well as completing a secondment. So my seats have all been corporate focused seats. Part of the reason for the low undergraduate GPA was due to limited time to study as I was busy building a startup that I founded and working other part time jobs. I later sold the business to an investor. Prior to working as a lawyer, I interned in various investment banking boutiques in Australia and the UK, where I accumulated just under a year of work experience during summer breaks.

I am hoping to break into M&A after business school on the investment banking side, with the longer term goal of breaking into private equity.

I have not officially completed the GMAT yet, though am aiming for a 740+ score based on my studies so far. I am 27 years old.

What are my T20 MBA chances based on the above? I am primarily interested in US business schools as I would like to break into M&A in NYC, though open to all locations that will help get me there.

Thanks!
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: What are my chances of a top business school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 07:05
Hi mbalawyer,

Having firsthand experience in Hedge Funds and Private equity in NYC, I know the challenges of getting into that sector. You should definitely target a top 20 MBA program, Wharton being your reach school. I would require to understand the quality and depth of your work to better evaluate your profile. I do like that you have level 2 CFA completed (how well did you do in the exams? When are you planning on sitting in for level 3). No matter your final list of schools, you will have to address your GPA in your applications.

I am happy to continue the conversation and get a better sense of your background. If interested, please click hereto coordinate a call.

Good luck!

mbalawyer wrote:
Hi,

I am from Australia and studied a bachelor of Law (honours) and a Bachelor of Arts dual degree at Monash University. I have a 3.0gpa for the dual degree. During my undergraduate, I studied abroad at Oxford University, London School of Economics and at a University in Asia. I also have a masters in law from BPP University where I got a 3.5gpa (hardly a target university but work paid for it and sent me there). I also completed 2 levels of the CFA while working.

I have been working in BigLaw for two years in London since graduating. I am dual qualified in both the UK and Australia as a lawyer. I have completed rotations at work in private equity, M&A, reorgs and banking and finance, as well as completing a secondment. So my seats have all been corporate focused seats. Part of the reason for the low undergraduate GPA was due to limited time to study as I was busy building a startup that I founded and working other part time jobs. I later sold the business to an investor. Prior to working as a lawyer, I interned in various investment banking boutiques in Australia and the UK, where I accumulated just under a year of work experience during summer breaks.

I am hoping to break into M&A after business school on the investment banking side, with the longer term goal of breaking into private equity.

I have not officially completed the GMAT yet, though am aiming for a 740+ score based on my studies so far. I am 27 years old.

What are my T20 MBA chances based on the above? I am primarily interested in US business schools as I would like to break into M&A in NYC, though open to all locations that will help get me there.

Thanks!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: What are my chances of a top business school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 19:43
You've definitely got a strong shot at top 20. Sounds like you have some interesting experience & you're coming from a non-traditional background, which you can use to your advantage to help stand out from the crowd. Although your GPA is a bit on the low end, a 740 GMAT & the CFA would both help compensate for that. As a non-traditional applicant it is important to convince them that you are up for the rigors of b-school but like I said, your target GMAT score & the CFA would both accomplish that. It will also be important to make a strong argument for why your post-MBA goals are the right fit for you since you will have had less business exposure than the average applicant, but there are definitely strategies you can use and I can tell you have the making of a strong application. Definitely reach out to us if you'd like to talk through all of this in more detail. Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com can get you set up with a free consultation!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What are my chances of a top business school? &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2018, 19:43

What are my chances of a top business school?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap