Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [37]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [5]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [0]
Send PM
Re: The growing demand for housing, traffic congestion, and longer commuti [#permalink]
the subject is plural as we are talking about 3 things "yoddy...yoddy,and yoddy", hence we have to use plural verb "have"

OA is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Re: The growing demand for housing, traffic congestion, and longer commuti [#permalink]
Kudos
option e is wrong because we are talking about 3 things here: the growing demand for housing,traffic congestion and longer commuting trips and as well as is used only for 2 things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
ABC are wrong because of S-V agreement

down to D and E

E is wrong because it dictates a singular subject.

a subject along with "as well as" implies singular , so it should had been 'has'

D has three subjects ,so plural verb 'have'or by POE it closes down to D only.

-h
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
My questions is : Why (E) is wrong? Can we always say that as well as is used for two things and not for more ? Is that a suitable explanation in our case?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Anestists, E uses the additive as well as. The rule is:

When the subject is separated from the verb by expressions such as along with, together with, as well as, in addition to, besides etc., ignore these expressions to determine whether the subject is singular or plural.

So, in E, the subject is growing demand (singular) and hence, the plural verb have is incorrect.

E also has a comparison ambiguity issue, since E can be interpreted as:

The growing demand for housing, as well as (for) traffic congestion and longer commuting trips, have all but eliminated the cost advantage of owning a house in many rural communities.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these issues with Subject Verb agreement, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
daagh wrote:
One can understand a growing demand for housing, but one cannot appreciate a growing demand for traffic congestion and long commuting trips. Nesting them together as part of one list is illogical. That is the reason the singular verb ‘has’ is out of place. The plural verb ‘have’ denotes there are more than one factor. Therefore, we are left with D and E.
Between D and E, E is grammatically wrong for using 'as well as' to conjugate both factors and still use ‘have’ as the verb. ‘As well as’ will not render the subject plural.
Therefore, D is the best.

But don't you think a preposition 'for' is required before Traffic Congestion in option E to make is parallel.
The growing demand for housing, as well as for traffic congestion
'Have' is used coz the growing demand..... and longer commuting trips
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manishk30 wrote:

Hi Manish, responding on behalf of daagh sir.

The way you've articulated the sentence would convey that there is a growing demand for traffic congestion.

That is not the intended meaning of the sentence (who would demand traffic congestion?).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
[align=][/align]
EducationAisle wrote:
manishk30 wrote:

Hi Manish, responding on behalf of daagh sir.

The way you've articulated the sentence would convey that there is a growing demand for traffic congestion.

That is not the intended meaning of the sentence (who would demand traffic congestion?).

Ohh. I did not notice that part in this option. You are right. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
The growing demand for housing, traffic congestion,
and longer commuting trips has
all but eliminated
the cost advantage of owning a house in many rural
communities.

(A) The growing demand for housing, traffic congestion, and longer commuting trips has --> not parallel
(B) Traffic congestion, the growing demand for housing, and longer commuting trips has
(C) Longer commuting trips, traffic congestion, and the growing demand for housing has
(D) Traffic congestion, longer commuting trips, and the growing demand for housing have --> correct
(E) The growing demand for housing, as well as traffic congestion and longer commuting trips, have
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

This sentence describes how three factors–traffic congestion, longer commuting trips, and the growing demand for housing–affect rural housing costs. The noun phrases denoting these three factors must be clearly distinguished to avoid implying that there is a growing demand for traffic congestion and for longer commuting trips as well as for housing. The main auxiliary verb has or have must agree with the singular or plural grammatical subject of the sentence.

Option A: The subject The growing demand for housing, traffic congestion, and longer commuting trips, combined with the singular verb form has, oddly indicates that there is a single, unified growing demand for housing, for traffic congestion, and for longer commuting trips--clearly not the intended meaning.

Option B: The plural compound subject Traffic congestion, the growing demand for housing, and longer commuting trips does not agree with the singular verb form has.

Option C: The plural compound subject Longer commuting trips, traffic congestion, and the growing demand for housing does not agree with the singular verb form has.

Option D: Correct. The plural compound subject Traffic congestion, longer commuting trips, and the growing demand for housing agrees with the plural verb form have. The compound subject is worded to unambiguously distinguish between the three factors it lists.

Option E: The singular grammatical subject here is simply The growing demand for housing, which does not agree with the plural verb form have. The parenthetical phrase as well as traffic congestion and longer commuting times does not make the grammatical subject plural. The as well as construction is unnecessarily wordy.

The correct answer is D.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
(A) The growing demand for housing, traffic congestion, and longer commuting trips has -- "has". SV error. 3 elements in the list require a plural verb since that verb describes the action by 3 different subjects.

(B) Traffic congestion, the growing demand for housing, and longer commuting trips has -- Same as A.

(C) Longer commuting trips, traffic congestion, and the growing demand for housing has -- Same as A.

(D) Traffic congestion, longer commuting trips, and the growing demand for housing have -- No problem

(E) The growing demand for housing, as well as traffic congestion and longer commuting trips, have -- A as well as B and C. Incorrect construction construction. This would have been right had B&C been a compound subject but they're not.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts