It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 15:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 87

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Sloan (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GPA: 3.2
What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 11:15
Hi everyone!
I am filling an application to business school and there is a drop-down menu which limits choices:
1) I worked for GE branch in Kazakhstan and GE is a diversified global company and a number of GE businesses were present in my area: Transportation, O&G, Healthcare, Energy etc.... But a drop-down list for job industry does not let to choose more than one choice and diversified is not one of them... Manufacturing could be one good choice for GE, but they do not manufacture in Kazakhstan, they would rather provide services for equipment they manufactured in other countries. And there is also machinery, automotive and transportation, aviation, healthcare choices that could be applicable too. I feel it is stupid to define industry as Other.
2) On a related note - in case of global company branch - I indicate a number of people working in the branch, right?
3) Another issue is to choose job function - I was in finance director/CFO role for most of the organizations I worked for, but there is no finance director/CFO role:
what is applicable is Accounting/Controller but a the same time, Finance Treasury is applicable too as I was supervising treasury as well and General Management is a good choice too as I was part of top management! which role to indicate?

I will sincerely appreciate your responses and give a kudo plus100 points to karma for every response :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 177

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 07:26
Erjan_S wrote:
Hi everyone!
I am filling an application to business school and there is a drop-down menu which limits choices:
1) I worked for GE branch in Kazakhstan and GE is a diversified global company and a number of GE businesses were present in my area: Transportation, O&G, Healthcare, Energy etc.... But a drop-down list for job industry does not let to choose more than one choice and diversified is not one of them... Manufacturing could be one good choice for GE, but they do not manufacture in Kazakhstan, they would rather provide services for equipment they manufactured in other countries. And there is also machinery, automotive and transportation, aviation, healthcare choices that could be applicable too. I feel it is stupid to define industry as Other.
2) On a related note - in case of global company branch - I indicate a number of people working in the branch, right?
3) Another issue is to choose job function - I was in finance director/CFO role for most of the organizations I worked for, but there is no finance director/CFO role:
what is applicable is Accounting/Controller but a the same time, Finance Treasury is applicable too as I was supervising treasury as well and General Management is a good choice too as I was part of top management! which role to indicate?

I will sincerely appreciate your responses and give a kudo plus100 points to karma for every response :)


You are overthinking this in my opinion. Your resume is going to tell the school what you do, and what your level of responsibility is. The drop down is just a general idea for their book keeping and class profile

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 87

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Sloan (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GPA: 3.2
Re: What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 09:32
cxa0897 wrote:
Erjan_S wrote:
Hi everyone!
I am filling an application to business school and there is a drop-down menu which limits choices:
1) I worked for GE branch in Kazakhstan and GE is a diversified global company and a number of GE businesses were present in my area: Transportation, O&G, Healthcare, Energy etc.... But a drop-down list for job industry does not let to choose more than one choice and diversified is not one of them... Manufacturing could be one good choice for GE, but they do not manufacture in Kazakhstan, they would rather provide services for equipment they manufactured in other countries. And there is also machinery, automotive and transportation, aviation, healthcare choices that could be applicable too. I feel it is stupid to define industry as Other.
2) On a related note - in case of global company branch - I indicate a number of people working in the branch, right?
3) Another issue is to choose job function - I was in finance director/CFO role for most of the organizations I worked for, but there is no finance director/CFO role:
what is applicable is Accounting/Controller but a the same time, Finance Treasury is applicable too as I was supervising treasury as well and General Management is a good choice too as I was part of top management! which role to indicate?

I will sincerely appreciate your responses and give a kudo plus100 points to karma for every response :)


You are overthinking this in my opinion. Your resume is going to tell the school what you do, and what your level of responsibility is. The drop down is just a general idea for their book keeping and class profile

Why then they ask for filling online industry and job function for every job that I ever had in my 17 years of experience? Only current job really gets to a class profile..

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2447

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Re: What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 19:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Keep this simple and try not to overthink this. Identify the closest role to what you do. The schools recognize that there may not be a perfect match for everyone. For Job industry give the best answer for what your branch of GE does


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2447

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 19:48
For the second question - 17 years is a lot of experience may be try and limit your details to your FT experience only. Some schools will only ask for your last few jobs or your jobs within a time frame so double
Check the filters they are asking.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 87

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Sloan (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GPA: 3.2
Re: What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 00:36
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
For the second question - 17 years is a lot of experience may be try and limit your details to your FT experience only. Some schools will only ask for your last few jobs or your jobs within a time frame so double
Check the filters they are asking.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Thanks! It is 17 years of FT experience only :-)
I first started career with Deloitte and I would rather keep it like any other part of my career, anyway, thank you for you advice...

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2447

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Re: What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 15:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes then keep all of it. It's a pain but hopefully you only have to go through this process once! Good luck buddy!
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Re: What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there?   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2017, 15:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What industry for a diversified company? CFO role not there?

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.