Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 19:26 It is currently 21 May 2024, 19:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1593 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: What round to apply - conflicts among European b-school deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
MaddyK9 wrote:
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I plan to apply to European business schools together for September 2021 intake. Our top choice is London Business School, but we are not going to be able to make the Round 1 deadline on September 11 due to our GMAT timeline getting thrown off by Covid-related issues. The deadline for Round 2 is in January, so we will apply for that round. The issue is, we want to apply to other schools too, including Oxford, Cambridge, HEC, INSEAD, and IESE. While we will technically be able to have our applications in by the October/November deadlines for those schools, it appears that if admitted, we will be required to put down a large deposit (around $9000) well before we will hear back from LBS in March. It is not feasible for us to put down that large deposit and throw it away if we are ultimately admitted to LBS. Alternatively, we could wait and apply to those schools in January around the same time that we apply to LBS so that all of our applications are on the same timeline.

We want to apply when we will have the best chance at acceptance - does anybody know if applying in January is detrimental to our chances of being accepted to those schools compared to our chances if we apply this fall, and if so, how detrimental? I cannot find information about acceptance rate by round for these European schools. I know for the US, applying in Round 3 or later is not good, but in the US that means April. Is applying in Round 3 in Europe also bad, even though for many schools, Round 3 is in January? If waiting until the January rounds for Oxford, Cambridge, HEC, INSEAD, and IESE does hinder our chances compared to applying in October or November, is there any possibility of deferring paying a deposit or getting it back if we choose not to go upon acceptance to LBS? It would likely be about 2 months of waiting, which I recognize is a long time. I know this is largely not possible in the states, but I'm wondering if European schools are more relaxed given that they are all on such different timelines and because the deposit is such a large amount of money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi MaddyK9

Thank you for posting. The scenario you have put forward is not an unusual one, and many applicants face it each year. Here is what we suggest:
- Applying to January is not late, and you could certainly apply to the January deadline for INSEAD (R3) and for Oxford, Cambridge, and IESE. We have had several clients who have made it to these schools, and received scholarships, despite the fact that they were from over-represented applicant groups. Applying in this timeline is not a problem. The only change you may want to consider is applying to the January 2022 intake of HEC instead of September 2021, as you would already be in HEC's 6th deadline by January (for the Sep 2021 intake).
- That said, even if you do apply in the January timelines, the decisions may still not be exactly aligned. At that point, you might need to request for extensions to payment timelines to your lower choice schools, assuming you get through all. Given that you are both applying, this situation may be exacerbated, as you both need to commit to one school together. Of course, it will still be better than applying in Oct-Nov.
- US schools follow different intake cycles as compared to European schools, so the situations there are not directly comparable. As you will see, all the top European (including UK) schools have multiple later deadlines for all applicants (the US ones do too, but mostly for domestic applicants).
- Schools usually do not refund deposits, so do not plan assuming that this might happen.

Applying to B-school together as a couple must be an exciting journey. We wish you the very best. Do feel free to come back with queries here as needed, or to contact us directly at our coordinates below.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What round to apply - conflicts among European b-school deadlines [#permalink]