GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 15:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 08:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:13) correct 44% (02:04) wrong based on 313 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given by the formula \(N=\frac{1}{2} gt^2\), where t is the time in seconds since it was dropped and g is 32.2, if it takes 5 seconds for the object to reach the ground, how many feet does it fall during the last 2 seconds?

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

Project PS Butler : Question #15

Subscribe to get Daily Email - Click Here | Subscribe via RSS - RSS

D
Re: When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 08:27
HKD1710 wrote:
When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given by the formula \(N=\frac{1}{2} gt^2\), where t is the time in seconds since it was dropped and g is 32.2, if it takes 5 seconds for the object to reach the ground, how many feet does it fall during the last 2 seconds?

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

Distance for the last TWO SECONDS \(N=\frac{1}{2} 32.2 *2^2\)= 64.4

IMO:A :grin:
Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 08:36
A different question, with a physics background. :-)

I feel it should be mentioned explicitly that the formula is for an object dropped from rest but the word "dropped" kind of implies that.

So, the formula given is when the object is dropped from rest. So the distance it covers in the last two seconds will be distance covered from start till 5 secs minus
distance covered from start to 5-2 = 3 secs

This step is essential as the object already has a non zero velocity when it is 2 secs before it reaches the ground.

Let distance covered in last two sec be d.

\(d = 0.5gt^2 - 0.5gt'^2\)
\(d = 0.5g( t^2 - t'^2)\) where t is 5 sec and t' is 3 sec
Hence,
\(d = 0.5*32.2*(25 - 9)\)
\(d = 16.1*16\)
\(d > 256\) only slightly greater

Hence Option (D) is correct.

Best,
Gladi

HKD1710 wrote:

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
VP
VP
D
When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 08:47
Gladiator59 wrote:

I feel it should be mentioned explicitly that the formula is for an object dropped from rest but the word "dropped" kind of implies that.

So, the formula given is when the object is dropped from rest. So the distance it covers in the last two seconds will be distance covered from start till 5 secs minus

This step is essential as the object already has a non zero velocity when it is 2 secs before it reaches the ground.

Hence,
\(d = 16.1*16\)

Best,
Gladi

HKD1710 wrote:

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

how abou this method :)

\(d = \frac{1}{2} * 32.2*5^2 = 805\) feet distance for 5 seconds

805/5 = 161 distance for one second

\(161*2 = 322\) :lol: closest to D
Senior PS Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 08:51
It doesn't work like that dave13.

When an object is dropped from rest it starts gaining speed and covers more and more distance with increasing time. So your assumption of equal distance covered in equal time intervals is wrong.

But this discussion is taking us far from GMAT PS so let's get back to using the formula given explicitly in the problem :-D

Best,
Gladi
dave13 wrote:

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2018, 11:39
Gladiator59 wrote:

Hence,
\(d = 16.1*16\)

Best,
Gladi

HKD1710 wrote:

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

I believe it requires Physics bg to solve such questions, Do we still receive such type of question in GMAT?

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
Senior PS Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2018, 23:37
Hi Gmatprep550,

The question does not "require" a physics background but knowing a bit of physics helps. This is very much similar to solving RC passages from particular fields. For ex. a science passage will favour someone who has a degree in science, even if any non-science test-taker can read it still get all questions correct. However, a good GMAT question will always have all the necessary info given in the question itself.

All the info needed to solve this questions is given in the question itself. Notice how the question specifically mentions "dropped" and also "last two seconds"... an attentive test-taker would realize that the formula given cannot be applied as it is with t = 2.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Gladi

Gmatprep550 wrote:

I believe it requires Physics bg to solve such questions, Do we still receive such type of question in GMAT?

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 04:31
Gladiator59 wrote:
Hi Gmatprep550,

The question does not "require" a physics background but knowing a bit of physics helps. This is very much similar to solving RC passages from particular fields. For ex. a science passage will favour someone who has a degree in science, even if any non-science test-taker can read it still get all questions correct. However, a good GMAT question will always have all the necessary info given in the question itself.

All the info needed to solve this questions is given in the question itself. Notice how the question specifically mentions "dropped" and also "last two seconds"... an attentive test-taker would realize that the formula given cannot be applied as it is with t = 2.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Gladi

Gmatprep550 wrote:

Thanks for kind response Gladiator59, but from my past experience of GMAT question one would have simply used T =2 in formula or followed as stated by dave13 that it will travel distance of X in 5 min hence divide it by and multiply by 2 as they have not specified speed will increase or decrease at any point of time.

Please correct me if I am missing something.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 09:34
HKD1710 wrote:

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

So N feet in last 2 seconds can be found

if we subtract N in last 5 seconds - N in last 3 seconds
N = 1/2 * 32.2 [ 16]

N = 257.6

D

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 11:49
Hi chetan2u, Bunuel, VeritasKarishma, Gladiator59, generis

Could you please help me with regard to below mentioned issue.

Gmatprep550 wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:
Hi Gmatprep550,

Hope this helps.

Best,
Gladi

Gmatprep550 wrote:

Thanks for kind response Gladiator59, but from my past experience of GMAT question one would have simply used T =2 in formula or followed as stated by dave13 that it will travel distance of X in 5 min hence divide it by and multiply by 2 as they have not specified speed will increase or decrease at any point of time.

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 13:40
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:
Hi Gmatprep550,

Hope this helps.

Best,
Gladi
Gmatprep550 wrote:

[/quote]
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi chetan2u, Bunuel, VeritasKarishma, Gladiator59, generis

Could you please help me with regard to below mentioned issue.

Hi Gmatprep550 ,
I can understand where you are coming from.

My first thought was the same as yours:
But velocity increases rapidly!

In a way, because we do not import any outside knowledge,
these questions are similar to special symbol questions.

The formula may or may not be accurate . . .
and it is true only for the question at hand.

I shifted gears.
What are they testing? I asked myself.
What are we given? A total time and a partial time.
In what context?
We are given a formula for distance.

time . . . distance . . . and rate.

• In other words, we can start with something that we know
Use \(rt=D\)

If we focus only on \(rt=D\) (ignore the formula for a moment), then we
can write something such as:

Distance total? t = 5 seconds: \(r * 5 = D_{total}\)
Distance partial? t = 2 seconds: \(r * 2 = D_{partial}\)

\(r\) is constant. \(D\) is fixed.
Rate is constant (inane, but the prompt does not say otherwise)
Aha! Time taken is proportional to distance traveled.
Factor the constant \(r\) out.
\(\frac{D_{partial}}{D_{total}}=\frac{2secs}{5secs} = \frac{2}{5}\)

In 2 seconds, the object will travel \(\frac{2}{5}\) of the distance that it traveled in 5 seconds.

• Formula
\(N=\frac{1}{2} gt^2\),
N = number of feet = distance, D

Find \(D_{total}\), i.e., the distance that the object travels in 5 seconds

Plug 5 into the "special" formula.
I'm changing N to D. It's easier for me.

TOTAL distance
\(D_{total}=\frac{1}{2} gt^2\)
\(D_{total}=\frac{1}{2} * 32.2 * 5^2\)
\(D_{total}= 402.5=\) total D

Distance in 2 seconds?
-- The distance that the object travels in 2 seconds is \(\frac{2}{5}\) of 402.5

\(D_{2secs} = \frac{2}{5} * 402.5\)
\(D_{2secs} = 161\)

Answer C

Hope that helps. Ask again if it does not. :)

(For the record, physics and I were Not Friends :sleep: ,
except for quantum mechanics, but I learned the latter in chemistry.)

Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 22:38
Hi generis,

What a beautiful explanation, I really liked it the way you have explained it. :inlove:

Still have one question :-D

How I will realize that I need to use different method like this. Just one point I can guess is out of 5 sec how much in 2 sec, Anything apart form it?

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 05:31
Quote:

Note that it is an official question so definitely fair play. It is like a function question.
You are given the relation between Distance covered and time. All you can use is the given relation. Until and unless you know the relation is linear, you cannot assume that distance covered is same every second. You don't need to know physics for this. Otherwise, you didn't need the given relation. You already know that Distance = Speed*Time.
The relation is given to you because it is specifically defined.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 07:08
Hi VeritasKarishma,

I already understood all that part but just wanted to know if I receive such kind of question in future what part from question will advice me to follow such procedure. for the same reason I asked generis

"How I will realize that I need to use different method like this. Just one point I can guess in this question is out of 5 sec how much in 2 sec, Anything apart form it? "

PS- I have added red part in it now as I missed that to specify in previous comments.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 22:45
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,

I already understood all that part but just wanted to know if I receive such kind of question in future what part from question will advice me to follow such procedure. for the same reason I asked generis

"How I will realize that I need to use different method like this. Just one point I can guess in this question is out of 5 sec how much in 2 sec, Anything apart form it? "

PS- I have added red part in it now as I missed that to specify in previous comments.

The hint is that they have given you the formula to calculate distance so that is what you must use in each case. Also, observe the formula. Distance depends on t^2 so it is not a linear relation. Hence dividing into 5 equal parts is incorrect.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 03:45
dave13 wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:

Hence,
\(d = 16.1*16\)

Best,
Gladi

HKD1710 wrote:

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

you didn't divide it by 2, otherwise the execution was perfect to get the answer.
the actual value for 5 seconds will be 402.5, and not 805.
1/2*32.2 (25) = 402.5....(1)
subtract
1/2*32.2(9) = 144.9....(2)

(1)-(2) = 402.5-144.9 = 257.6 option D
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 03:59
While looking at this question I have impression that it is a trap due to square in the formula and simply calculating N by plugging 2 seconds in the formula would lead to incorrect answer

In my opinion, the best approach is simply to calculate a difference between the total distance covered within 5 seconds (t1) and distance covered during first 3 seconds (t2)

To put it mathematically: [g(t1)^2][/2] - [g(t2)^2][/2] = [g[(t1)^2-(t2)^2][/2] = [g*(25-9)][/2][g*16][/2] = 8g=~257

Answer D

HKD1710 wrote:

(A) 64.4
(B) 96.6
(C) 161.0
(D) 257.6
(E) 402.5

GMAT Club Bot
Re: When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2019, 03:59

When an object is dropped, the number of feet N that it falls is given

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics