GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 03:18

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 194
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2012, 23:06
1
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:07) correct 50% (02:09) wrong based on 610 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently surveyed about their political beliefs, 20 percent scored in the middle range representing political neutrality. When this smaller subgroup was surveyed again in their parents' homes during their first vacation, 60 percent scored on the conservative side of the scale. However, when the students were sophomores, a third survey revealed that 75 percent of this same subgroup scored on the liberal side of the scale. It was concluded that the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to support this conclusion?

A. Freshmen are less inhibited at school than they are at home and so tend to answer questions more truthfully at school.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative.

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college.

D. Most of the freshmen who were rated as politically neutral did not perceive themselves to be neutral.

E. Most members of the original survey group scored on the politically conservative end of the spectrum.

_________________

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti


Originally posted by Chembeti on 26 Feb 2012, 06:06.
Last edited by Chembeti on 26 Feb 2012, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 94
Location: India
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2012, 17:48
3
Chembeti wrote:
When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently surveyed about their political beliefs, 20 percent scored in the middle range representing political neutrality. When this smaller subgroup was surveyed again in their parents' homes during their first vacation, 60 percent scored on the conservative side of the scale. However, when the students were sophomores, a third survey revealed that 75 percent of this same subgroup scored on the liberal side of the scale. It was concluded that the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to support this conclusion?

A. Freshmen are less inhibited at school than they are at home and so tend to answer questions more truthfully at school.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative.

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college.

D. Most of the freshmen who were rated as politically neutral did not perceive themselves to be neutral.

E. Most members of the original survey group scored on the politically conservative end of the spectrum.


I got B.. C doesn't make sense.

A) wrong because if freshmen weren't answering truthfully at home, then their political beliefs did not reflect their environment. Only their answers reflected their environment. answers which are not necessarily true..

B) Correct because if most members of the sub group came from politically conservative households it would make sense for most them to have conservative views while on vacation at home and then to have liberal views when in college as sophomores...

C) Irrelevant. political beliefs cannot be logically related to new interests without making a lot of logical leaps.

D) Again irrelevant. Their view of themselves doesn't matter here..

E) Irrelevant. We do not even have data on the entire original group to analyse their behaviour for the given statement of political beliefs being affected by the environment..

So I think B is definitely the right answer.. Can't see how it could be C at all!!!!
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 633
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2012, 19:41
Premise:
1, 20% of students who had middle scores have choose political neutrality
2, Then, when these students take a vacation at home, 60% of these 20% scored on conservative side of the scale.
3, When 20% of these students is sophomores, 75% of 20% scored on the liberal side of the scale.

=> conclusion: The political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.


B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative. => this choice only provide the information of the political background of students, not support anything relate to the changing trend of the students

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college. => this choice said the freshmen tend to change their interests and objectives => Correct one
_________________

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 94
Location: India
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2012, 20:09
3
^ I disagree with your criticism of "B". the changing trend is given in the premises. If 60% very conservative when surveyed earlier, and 75% were liberals when surveyed at a later date, there has been a change in the political views of at least 15% of those in the subgroup. The fact that most members of the sub group came from politically conservative households would support the conclusion in that the conservative environment at home affected their political views until they spent more time at college and their views were affected by the new environment.

Also in the case of "C" to say that freshmen change their political views just because they develop new interests (not change interests) is quite a leap.. For example, I may decide to take up guitar lessons while in college but that has no bearing on my views on a different topic like politics.. :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 194
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2012, 23:09
tuanquang269 wrote:
Premise:
1, 20% of students who had middle scores have choose political neutrality
2, Then, when these students take a vacation at home, 60% of these 20% scored on conservative side of the scale.
3, When 20% of these students is sophomores, 75% of 20% scored on the liberal side of the scale.

=> conclusion: The political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.


B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative. => this choice only provide the information of the political background of students, not support anything relate to the changing trend of the students

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college. => this choice said the freshmen tend to change their interests and objectives => Correct one


@tuanquang269

Sorry, it was my bad. The correct OA is B, but not C.

@karun0109
Thanks for pointing it out. Your analysis is perfectly valid. I have updated the OA.
_________________

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 633
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 22:18
karun0109 wrote:
^ I disagree with your criticism of "B". the changing trend is given in the premises. If 60% very conservative when surveyed earlier, and 75% were liberals when surveyed at a later date, there has been a change in the political views of at least 15% of those in the subgroup. The fact that most members of the sub group came from politically conservative households would support the conclusion in that the conservative environment at home affected their political views until they spent more time at college and their views were affected by the new environment.

Also in the case of "C" to say that freshmen change their political views just because they develop new interests (not change interests) is quite a leap.. For example, I may decide to take up guitar lessons while in college but that has no bearing on my views on a different topic like politics.. :)


Your explanation is so great. Thanks :D
_________________

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Posts: 68
Location: New Zealand
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE: Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 15:04
Chembeti wrote:
When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently surveyed about their political beliefs, 20 percent scored in the middle range representing political neutrality. When this smaller subgroup was surveyed again in their parents' homes during their first vacation, 60 percent scored on the conservative side of the scale. However, when the students were sophomores, a third survey revealed that 75 percent of this same subgroup scored on the liberal side of the scale. It was concluded that the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to support this conclusion?

A. Freshmen are less inhibited at school than they are at home and so tend to answer questions more truthfully at school.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative.

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college.

D. Most of the freshmen who were rated as politically neutral did not perceive themselves to be neutral.

E. Most members of the original survey group scored on the politically conservative end of the spectrum.


C actually weakens the argument.
_________________

"Hardwork is the easiest way to success." - Aviram

One more shot at the GMAT...aiming for a more balanced score.

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1089
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 07:26
Chembeti wrote:
When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently surveyed about their political beliefs, 20 percent scored in the middle range representing political neutrality. When this smaller subgroup was surveyed again in their parents' homes during their first vacation, 60 percent scored on the conservative side of the scale. However, when the students were sophomores, a third survey revealed that 75 percent of this same subgroup scored on the liberal side of the scale. It was concluded that the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to support this conclusion?

A. Freshmen are less inhibited at school than they are at home and so tend to answer questions more truthfully at school.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative.

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college.

D. Most of the freshmen who were rated as politically neutral did not perceive themselves to be neutral.

E. Most members of the original survey group scored on the politically conservative end of the spectrum.


Imo B

The argument talks about the survey of political beliefs of the college students in first year and in second year. There is also a survey when the students are on vacation at their home. Now the conclusion of the argument is that students take political beliefs of their environment.

We have to strengthen the argument. We have to provide additional facts or information to strengthen the conclusion. We can strengthen the premise of assumption.

A If this is the case then the students are more liberal hence this actually weakens the argument.

B correct if is true then we know that students change their political beliefs according to their environment. So this option strengthens the argument.

C Well this may be true but we are not given any information about the beliefs. So this choice is out of scope.

D Well again is no good as the students had their innate beliefs so this choice weakens the argument.

E This does not explain the contrasting results in the sophomore year. So this choice is again not good. This choice tells that student lied about their beliefs.
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 235
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 06:38
VeritasKarishma

I am not very clear with the POE. Could you please help me out on this question?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8531
Location: Pune, India
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 00:50
1
Chembeti wrote:
When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently surveyed about their political beliefs, 20 percent scored in the middle range representing political neutrality. When this smaller subgroup was surveyed again in their parents' homes during their first vacation, 60 percent scored on the conservative side of the scale. However, when the students were sophomores, a third survey revealed that 75 percent of this same subgroup scored on the liberal side of the scale. It was concluded that the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to support this conclusion?




- 1000 entering freshmen were surveyed. 20% were found to be neutral. They were again surveyed during first vacation at home and 60% were conservative.
(The environment isn't much different in the two surveys. Since they are entering freshmen, their views will reflect views at home)
- In sophomore year, 75% scored on liberal side.

Conclusion: the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Here is the problem with this - We are not given that views at home are conservative. Once we know that, we can say with more certainty that environment has a role to play. For example, what if the students come from liberal homes? Then at home, their views are conservative which goes against our conclusion. So answer is (B)


A. Freshmen are less inhibited at school than they are at home and so tend to answer questions more truthfully at school.
Does not help our case either way.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative.
Is the correct answer.

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college.
This statement does seem to make sense but does it strengthen our conclusion? It is too vague to have any impact on "political beliefs tend to reflect environment". New interests and objectives may not have any political angle and may not lead to any change in political beliefs.

D. Most of the freshmen who were rated as politically neutral did not perceive themselves to be neutral.
The perception of people about themselves is irrelevant.

E. Most members of the original survey group scored on the politically conservative end of the spectrum.
We know that 60% scored on the conservative end at home. Since entering freshmen are expected to have similar outlook that they did during the first holidays, this option doesn't seem to be adding any value. From the argument, we would anyway expect that of the 80% who are not neutral, most would be conservative.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: Applying
Affiliations: test
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 34
Location: India
Yawer: Yawer
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 200 Q33 V33
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 13:42
The OA assumes college to be liberal.

If students come from politically conservative families, and are influenced by the environment at home, then the environment in colleges have to be liberal to make them switch to liberal side. However, it's not specified in the stem.

I am not sure if we can assume that.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 13:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.