Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619736 [10]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619736 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Economics, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Re: When volcanic lava solidifies, it becomes uniformly magnetized in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Official Answer

Answer choice (A): The argument was that lava indicates something about Earth's magnetic field, not that lava is the only or best way to measure the Earth's magnetic field. As long as lava is sufficient, it does not matter whether other methods would work, so the argument does not need to assume that only lava would work.

Answer choice (B): As delivered in this choice, the only legitimate interpretation of "consistency" has to do with thickness and composition. The use of "consistency" in this choice should not be interpreted as having anything to do with the direction of magnetization.

C): This is the correct answer choice. Since scientists take the readings to indicate a very distant cause, scientists have to assume that nothing unpredictable happened in the meantime that would make it virtually impossible to be certain that the readings reflect the distant cause. If something unpredictable did occur in the meantime, the readings might not indicate anything certain about the original state of the lava flow.

Answer choice (D): The argument does not need to assume anything about the frequency of eruptions. As long as some lava exists, the measurements might be possible.

Answer choice (E): The argument did not suggest that magnetized rocks serve to magnetize the lava; the argument clearly implies that Earth's magnetic field causes the magnetization. This choice is wrong, because it weakens the idea that the readings necessarily indicate the direction of Earth's magnetic field. Even if you incorrectly argue that the magnetized rocks would align with the magnetic field, there is no reason to believe that those rocks are necessary.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Re: When volcanic lava solidifies, it becomes uniformly magnetized in the [#permalink]
Kudos

Powerscore Complete Question Explanation

Weaken. The correct answer choice is (D)

This stimulus deals with the direction of the magnetization of lava based on its flow. Based on a single premise—often there is little directional change over thousands of years—the author draws the questionable conclusion that these shifts must always take place over long spans of time. To weaken this argument, we should look for the answer choice which disproves this assertion, or somehow increases the weakness of the single piece of evidence.

Answer choice (A): This stimulus regards the speed at which the changes take place, not their cause, so this answer choice is irrelevant to the inquiry, and incorrect.

Answer choice (B): Even if there have been no recent magnetic directional changes, this does not affect the strength of the conclusion that such changes must take place over long time periods.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is wrong for the same reason as incorrect answer choice (B) above; the number of these changes does not affect the argument that the changes must always take place slowly, over long periods of time.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. If this is true, then it is clear that the referenced directional changes can take place over time spans far shorter than presumed by the author.

Answer choice (E): The length of time required for solidification of molten lava is irrelevant to the question of whether magnetic directional changes require long periods of time, so this answer choice is incorrect.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts