Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Where would a nontraditional background be a strength? [#permalink]
Kudos
Decadecaf,
Given your GPA, you may want to try to raise the GMAT score, especially if you are targeting schools in the Top 15. I'd be happy to give you feedback on your chances if you send me your resume/CV.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/outcomes

decadecaf wrote:
My GMAT score is 700, though my verbal was much higher than my quant, so I'm planning on doing the MBAMath.com course. I had a bit of an anxiety attack or something at the beginning and got a 5 AWA, 2 IR. I recovered during the first break, but when I returned and put the earplugs back in, my head started swimming again. I took them out after a couple of minutes and felt fine the rest of the way...
I'm also a few years older (mid-30s) than the typical applicant, I'm a white U.S. male, and I have a journalism degree with a sub-3.0 GPA from an average public university because I was lazy and never planned to go back to school. I had some personal problems in the past, but that also means I have a ton of experience overcoming adversity.
I want to go to the best school I can get into and pursue brand management, but I don't know what's within reach. I'm looking at programs in the U.S. and Europe. I would prefer to start as soon as possible, but I would be willing to wait until next fall if I had to. If anyone could give me some advice on programs I should look at, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
Send PM
Thank you all for taking the time to answer!
I'd prefer not to take the GMAT again, but my first reaction when I saw my score was irritation. I screwed up my pacing on the verbal and ran out of time, so I'd kind of like the chance to step into the ring again. And I could barely remember much more than simple arithmetic when I started studying four months before the test, so my math skills still have plenty of room for growth.
I won't win the numbers game, though. I'm certain that my application will hinge on how well I tell my story. It's quite a winding path I've taken to get to this point in my life, but I'm grateful for every painful step along the way. I can't do anything about my age, but I look 10-15 years younger than I really am. Hopefully that will help a little bit during recruiting.
I guess my situation is too weird to really pin down without a lot more details. But thank you for the perspective you've given me!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Makes sense. So I'd say now is a good time to think about where you want to go. Since we are mid-april there is even enough time for you to maybe visit a school or three before classes end... not a bad idea usually....

Good luck on everything,
Jon
GMAT Club Bot