Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Re: Which Bschools to apply [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi mundasingh123,

You have a fairly decent profile. The only downside that I can think of is the quality of essays that were put in earlier. It is possible for a person in any level to put his contribution in terms of the business impact it had had. That is what shows professional maturity and broad business outlook. That is what B-schools want to see.

While you were working on your project, you may not have realized the impact on your team/organization, some introspection and research will help you quantify your contribution.

Another area that we would like to know is your career goals and how are you projecting that story. Each application requires a significant amount of introspection and thus time. That is why I suggest you limit your number of schools and try to put in quality in the ones shortlisted. This will help you focus on the quality rather than the quantity.
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
thinkadmit wrote:
Hi mundasingh123,

You have a fairly decent profile. The only downside that I can think of is the quality of essays that were put in earlier. It is possible for a person in any level to put his contribution in terms of the business impact it had had. That is what shows professional maturity and broad business outlook. That is what B-schools want to see.

While you were working on your project, you may not have realized the impact on your team/organization, some introspection and research will help you quantify your contribution.

Another area that we would like to know is your career goals and how are you projecting that story. Each application requires a significant amount of introspection and thus time. That is why I suggest you limit your number of schools and try to put in quality in the ones shortlisted. This will help you focus on the quality rather than the quantity.

what i mean by quantifying is that a software programmer is in no circumstances to say that he saved so and so money by finishing the project earlier than was expected .He is unaware of the investment in the project . Metrics such as Hourly rates per programmer are not disclosed to him .
Impact on Team / organization could just be expressed in abstract terms .The hierarchical structure that is followed in IT organizations makes it very difficult to understand the business impact .
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
mundasingh123 wrote:
what i mean by quantifying is that a software programmer is in no circumstances to say that he saved so and so money by finishing the project earlier than was expected .He is unaware of the investment in the project . Metrics such as Hourly rates per programmer are not disclosed to him .
Impact on Team / organization could just be expressed in abstract terms .The hierarchical structure that is followed in IT organizations makes it very difficult to understand the business impact .

Hi mundasingh123,

Of course you may not see the direct impact on revenues. What I meant is, not your work directly, but you should at least have an idea of the impact your project is having on the company.. Is it generating revenues? How much? How critical is your project to the company?

Of course other quantifiable measures are process based as in the example that you quoted. But unless impact is quantified, it is not measurable and if it is not measurable, it cannot be improved.

Hope that helps.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
You forgot to write that you are an Indian male with big muscles...
;)
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
precisionessay wrote:
You forgot to write that you are an Indian male with big muscles...
;)
LOL I wish i could use that in the additional information essay . Thanks Precision Essay .
GMAT Club Bot