Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Which practice tests are the closest indicators [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Pratigyav,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus practice CAT scores can vary based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs.

The 'accuracy' of a CAT score is also based on how realistically YOU choose to take the CAT. If you skip sections, pause the Test, take it at home, take it at a different time of day as your Official GMAT, do anything else that is unrealistic, etc., then your score is likely to be less accurate. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so it would be useful to know how you performed on one of those CATS. Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can talk through what all of this data means.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
echoing what everyone else is already telling you. take the gmat prep software test, up to 6 available (2 free). ive also taken magoosh and mgmat test, and some of my scores were over 100 points off what i scored on the real thing.....

unless you just like taking practice exams, dont waste your time taking any other CAT except prep soft.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
GMATPrep and Manhattan come closest.

Verbal is matched only by gmatprep...I don't think any other test series matches up to actual gmat verbal content.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
For scoring purposes, GMATPrep software is the best you can get.

While many of our students who take the GMAT Pill Practice Test report scores within +-30 points of what they get on the real test, use these additional practice tests more so for the extra practice than for an accurate gauge of what your score will be. No company can claim their algorithm exactly matches the real thing. The most we can do is get really close. Still - it doesn't matter what you get in practice - so what only matters is the real thing.

So focus on improving as much as you can and performing at the top of your game instead.

The practice test link is here: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Which practice tests are the closest indicators [#permalink]
Kudos
These are the practice tests that I took, and what I think of them:

Gmat Prep: Best one since it uses real questions, and it is extremely similar to the real test. The software (at least for the free CAT's) is a little deficient however.
Kaplan: Really good interface, and what I felt were the closest experience to the real test after GMAT Prep. Kaplan tests were my favorite of them all.
Manhattan Prep: Harder than the real test, but excellent practice to build concentration and time management skills.
Veritas Prep: Also harder than the real test but also excellent practice to build concentration and time management skills.

I felt like all the practice tests that I took were really good practice. Perhaps, nothing beats the GMAT Prep exams but they can be expensive if you're buying them. If you want an extra challenge you could take the Veritas Prep or Manhattan Prep exams. If you want the closest as possible to the real GMAT take the GMAT Prep or Kaplan Practice Tests. Of course, this is only my opinion and I did not try any practice tests other than the ones I listed above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the replies. I took a GMAT prep test and scored 760 (Q48, V46). Managed to raise Manhattan score to 640, but still quite intimidated by the test.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Pratigyav wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I took a GMAT prep test and scored 760 (Q48, V46). Managed to raise Manhattan score to 640, but still quite intimidated by the test.

The Manhattan CATs will always be difficult as the quant questions on there are not representative of the actual GMAT. With that said, you have a great score. A 640 on the MGMAT is considered great. The 760 on the GMAT prep is a better indicator of your abilities. If you can maintain the same score on the 2nd test the GMAT for you should be a breeze.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey, I too had prepared from Jamboree and all I can tell you is that those Jamboree Tests are a farce! The Quant level is decent but he verbal level is too low as compared to the same on the GMAT. The official prep software is the best indicator definitely but take +/- 30 score variation. I personally found the verbal level on GMAT Prep 1 lower compared to that on the real GMAT especially the CR Part.
My recommendation is Manhattan. The scores will definitely drop but they are the best indicator of your ability. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
abhimahna wrote:
Pratigyav wrote:
Hi! I'm 3 months into my gmat prep and just started taking practice tests.
I'm harrowed by the wide fluctuations in my scores.
I scored 760 each in ETS power prep 1and 2, and 680-770 in the tests given by Jamboree.
I appeared for two Manhattan tests, in which my score slumped to 590 and 550! I know Manhattan tests are somewhat tougher, but even by those standards I've messed up big time. I'm freaking out seeing such scores in the final leg of my prep.
Which practice tests should I take for a realistic assessment of where I stand? I'm not looking for the toughest tests, but something that's as close as possible to the real thing.
Would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Hi Pratigyav ,

Welcome to GMAT Club. :)

The only true indicator of your exam is GMAT Prep.

Don't rely on any assumptions based on ETS 1 or 2. I got 650 when I first gave ETS 1 in Jamboree. :-D

Download Free Prep Exams from mba.com and buy Exam Pack 1 and 2. You will have 6 tests. Practice on them. Check whether you are still at the same level .

If yes, clam down and give your exam. :)

abhimahna are these the tests that are mentioned in the course on their website or these are the official tests?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
abhimahna are these the tests that are mentioned in the course on their website or these are the official tests?

Hi Shiv2016 ,

ETS tests are official tests of some other company. They donot have anything to do with Jamboree specifically.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
abhimahna wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

Hi Shiv2016 ,

ETS tests are official tests of some other company. They donot have anything to do with Jamboree specifically.

Okay. So the tests that Jamboree provides are the official tests by GMAC or created by Jamboree (if you are aware)? :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
The ETS tests were the official tests back when the contract for the GMAT was with ETS (before 2006).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: ISB'22 (I)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi,
Are Manhattan mocks still harder than actual GMAT or they have readjusted the difficulty ? I have recently taken the free mock available but not sure how to comprehend it.

Can someone please guide ?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sejal16,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion). To answer your immediate question: Yes, the MGMAT CATs are still generally regarded as being a little tougher than the Official GMAT - but they're still well-designed practice CATs, so they're one of the reasonable ways to measure your progress.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sejal16,

I have an important question. Have you taken any official GMAC practice exams?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: ISB'22 (I)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Sejal16,

I have not taken official GMAT test yet. I intend to take it soon. Till now, I have taken mocks from 800Score, MGMAT & experts global mock.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sejal16 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Sejal16,

I have not taken official GMAT test yet. I intend to take it soon. Till now, I have taken mocks from 800Score, MGMAT & experts global mock.

Got it. Let me know when you take one.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2