It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which practice tests are the closest indicators

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Which practice tests are the closest indicators [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 10:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi! I'm 3 months into my gmat prep and just started taking practice tests.
I'm harrowed by the wide fluctuations in my scores.
I scored 760 each in ETS power prep 1and 2, and 680-770 in the tests given by Jamboree.
I appeared for two Manhattan tests, in which my score slumped to 590 and 550! I know Manhattan tests are somewhat tougher, but even by those standards I've messed up big time. I'm freaking out seeing such scores in the final leg of my prep.
Which practice tests should I take for a realistic assessment of where I stand? I'm not looking for the toughest tests, but something that's as close as possible to the real thing.
Would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Jamboree Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [1], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
Pratigyav wrote:
I scored 760 each in ETS power prep 1and 2, and 680-770 in the tests given by Jamboree.
I appeared for two Manhattan tests, in which my score slumped to 590 and 550! I know Manhattan tests are somewhat tougher, but even by those standards I've messed up big time. I'm freaking out seeing such scores in the final leg of my prep.
Which practice tests should I take for a realistic assessment of where I stand? I'm not looking for the toughest tests, but something that's as close as possible to the real thing.

Hi Pratigyav ,

Welcome to GMAT Club. :)

The only true indicator of your exam is GMAT Prep.

Don't rely on any assumptions based on ETS 1 or 2. I got 650 when I first gave ETS 1 in Jamboree. :-D

Download Free Prep Exams from mba.com and buy Exam Pack 1 and 2. You will have 6 tests. Practice on them. Check whether you are still at the same level .

If yes, clam down and give your exam. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [1], given: 67

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 266 [2], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Which practice tests are the closest indicators [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Pratigyav wrote:
As abhimahna said, take a GMATPrep. There are 6 GMATPrep tests available to you (2 free, and 2 tests in each exam pack). Try to take the full test (with AWA and IR) and try to simulate test conditions.

Kudos [?]: 266 [2], given: 6

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3536 [1], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Pratigyav,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus practice CAT scores can vary based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs.

The 'accuracy' of a CAT score is also based on how realistically YOU choose to take the CAT. If you skip sections, pause the Test, take it at home, take it at a different time of day as your Official GMAT, do anything else that is unrealistic, etc., then your score is likely to be less accurate. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so it would be useful to know how you performed on one of those CATS. Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can talk through what all of this data means.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3536 [1], given: 173

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
echoing what everyone else is already telling you. take the gmat prep software test, up to 6 available (2 free). ive also taken magoosh and mgmat test, and some of my scores were over 100 points off what i scored on the real thing.....

unless you just like taking practice exams, dont waste your time taking any other CAT except prep soft.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 6

Manager
Manager
G
Status: 'When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 91

WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 03:39
GMATPrep and Manhattan come closest.

Verbal is matched only by gmatprep...I don't think any other test series matches up to actual gmat verbal content.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 91

Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1639 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 09:11
Top Contributor
For scoring purposes, GMATPrep software is the best you can get.

While many of our students who take the GMAT Pill Practice Test report scores within +-30 points of what they get on the real test, use these additional practice tests more so for the extra practice than for an accurate gauge of what your score will be. No company can claim their algorithm exactly matches the real thing. The most we can do is get really close. Still - it doesn't matter what you get in practice - so what only matters is the real thing.

So focus on improving as much as you can and performing at the top of your game instead.

The practice test link is here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

Kudos [?]: 1639 [0], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 4

GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 20:49
This post received
KUDOS
These are the practice tests that I took, and what I think of them:

Gmat Prep: Best one since it uses real questions, and it is extremely similar to the real test. The software (at least for the free CAT's) is a little deficient however.
Kaplan: Really good interface, and what I felt were the closest experience to the real test after GMAT Prep. Kaplan tests were my favorite of them all.
Manhattan Prep: Harder than the real test, but excellent practice to build concentration and time management skills.
Veritas Prep: Also harder than the real test but also excellent practice to build concentration and time management skills.

I felt like all the practice tests that I took were really good practice. Perhaps, nothing beats the GMAT Prep exams but they can be expensive if you're buying them. If you want an extra challenge you could take the Veritas Prep or Manhattan Prep exams. If you want the closest as possible to the real GMAT take the GMAT Prep or Kaplan Practice Tests. Of course, this is only my opinion and I did not try any practice tests other than the ones I listed above.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 08:56
Thanks for the replies. I took a GMAT prep test and scored 760 (Q48, V46). Managed to raise Manhattan score to 640, but still quite intimidated by the test.

Posted from my mobile device

BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 110

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 00:34
Pratigyav wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I took a GMAT prep test and scored 760 (Q48, V46). Managed to raise Manhattan score to 640, but still quite intimidated by the test.

Posted from my mobile device

The Manhattan CATs will always be difficult as the quant questions on there are not representative of the actual GMAT. With that said, you have a great score. A 640 on the MGMAT is considered great. The 760 on the GMAT prep is a better indicator of your abilities. If you can maintain the same score on the 2nd test the GMAT for you should be a breeze.

Kindly click on the +1 Kudos if you found my post helpful. Thank you! :)

|
|
|
V

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 110

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 07:30
Hey, I too had prepared from Jamboree and all I can tell you is that those Jamboree Tests are a farce! The Quant level is decent but he verbal level is too low as compared to the same on the GMAT. The official prep software is the best indicator definitely but take +/- 30 score variation. I personally found the verbal level on GMAT Prep 1 lower compared to that on the real GMAT especially the CR Part.
My recommendation is Manhattan. The scores will definitely drop but they are the best indicator of your ability. :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 04:10
abhimahna wrote:
Pratigyav wrote:

Hi Pratigyav ,

Welcome to GMAT Club. :)

The only true indicator of your exam is GMAT Prep.

Don't rely on any assumptions based on ETS 1 or 2. I got 650 when I first gave ETS 1 in Jamboree. :-D

Download Free Prep Exams from mba.com and buy Exam Pack 1 and 2. You will have 6 tests. Practice on them. Check whether you are still at the same level .

If yes, clam down and give your exam. :)

abhimahna are these the tests that are mentioned in the course on their website or these are the official tests?

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 04:14
Shiv2016 wrote:
abhimahna are these the tests that are mentioned in the course on their website or these are the official tests?

Hi Shiv2016 ,

ETS tests are official tests of some other company. They donot have anything to do with Jamboree specifically.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 05:13
abhimahna wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

Hi Shiv2016 ,

ETS tests are official tests of some other company. They donot have anything to do with Jamboree specifically.

Okay. So the tests that Jamboree provides are the official tests by GMAC or created by Jamboree (if you are aware)? :-)

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 20:08
Shiv2016 wrote:
The ETS tests were the official tests back when the contract for the GMAT was with ETS (before 2006).

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 6

Re: Which practice tests are the closest indicators   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 20:08

Which practice tests are the closest indicators

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap