Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Re: Which schools should I target? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Arjun:
I have been an admissions consultant for the last 8 years and have interviewed and helped 100s of clients during this time.
The first thing, before anyone can give you an objective opinion of what schools to apply to (which was your original question) is to have a much, much better understanding of your longer and short term career goals.
These goals are what pull you through the admissions process and into a top ranked MBA program. If there is not in-depth discussion of your goals, then there is no short list of schools.
I have been using something that I have trademarked as the acceptance equation. Basically, at a high-level, your current work/acad exp. + personal passions + why MBA? + why Now? + why program X? = Short and longer term career goals.
The one thing that was totally missed in your initial information is what makes you tick? That is, what is the personal passions that drive what you do outside of work. This is what most candidates miss and as an Indian applicant, you are definitely going to have to emphasize this or you will not stand out from THE MOST competitive applicant subgroup.
You GMAT score is of concern as well. The quick and dirty answer for responding to your 680 is if it is at the mean for the school? For top programs in the US, it is not going to be. When you consider your applicant subgroup, if you want to go to a top 25 international program, you are going to need to get it up by 20-40 points. I know this may seem very cut and dry but the GMAT is just that and it is the only bar by which an adcom can view all applicants by the same bar.
In the end, once you jump over the GMAT hurdle, it is all about defining long and short term goals? With you and your age (I am guessing about 33 yo), you are going to have the added burden of justifying "why now?" for a full time program. I would not recommend an Executive program. Traditionally, "Executive" programs refer to one year accelerated programs that are more rubber stamp than true immersion and are targeted to senior execs or the C-level. Instead, I would recommend a part-time program that will mitigate the need to explain "why now?" at length in your essays.
So refer back to my equation, is what you are saying (briefly) about your goals logically building on the left side of the equation? If not, you need to redefine your goals to match your strengths and logically build upon what you have been up to.
Once you figure this out, then an admissions consultant (and most importantly you) can figure out what school you should target.
Please let me know if you need further explanation.
-Paul Lanzillotti

Founder | The Los Angeles MBA Workshop

arjunrampal wrote:
Hi,

Can you please help me to evaluate schools that I should target based on career goals and profile below.

Career goals:
o After MBA, business consulting
o Long term, entrepreneur

Brief summary of my profile:
o 11 years of full-time experience in IT with last 7 years in programme management in Nokia
o International work experience in the UK for last 6.5 years and 4.5 years in India
o Successfully managed IT programmes of upto $6M budget and around 60-90 members involved in a highly distributed manner
o Executive programme reporting to senior stakeholders (directors) and extensively worked with external customers
o Line management experience. Had responsibility of a 20 member team
o Bachelor of Engineering in Instrumentation & Control, Gujarat University, India, 1999. Secured third rank in the academics
o GMAT score 680 (Q 48, V 35) and AWA 5.5

I prefer to do the MBA from Europe or Asia, however I'm flexible.

Currently I'm considering to apply in the final round of London Business School, Oxford and Cambridge for the course starting in fall 2010, however, this is provisional choice.

Best regards,
Arjun
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hi Arjun:
I have been an admissions consultant for the last 8 years and have interviewed and helped 100s of clients during this time.
The first thing, before anyone can give you an objective opinion of what schools to apply to (which was your original question) is to have a much, much better understanding of your longer and short term career goals.
These goals are what pull you through the admissions process and into a top ranked MBA program. If there is not in-depth discussion of your goals, then there is no short list of schools.
I have been using something that I have trademarked as the acceptance equation. Basically, at a high-level, your current work/acad exp. + personal passions + why MBA? + why Now? + why program X? = Short and longer term career goals.
The one thing that was totally missed in your initial information is what makes you tick? That is, what is the personal passions that drive what you do outside of work. This is what most candidates miss and as an Indian applicant, you are definitely going to have to emphasize this or you will not stand out from THE MOST competitive applicant subgroup.
You GMAT score is of concern as well. The quick and dirty answer for responding to your 680 is if it is at the mean for the school? For top programs in the US, it is not going to be. When you consider your applicant subgroup, if you want to go to a top 25 international program, you are going to need to get it up by 20-40 points. I know this may seem very cut and dry but the GMAT is just that and it is the only bar by which an adcom can view all applicants by the same bar.
In the end, once you jump over the GMAT hurdle, it is all about defining long and short term goals? With you and your age (I am guessing about 33 yo), you are going to have the added burden of justifying "why now?" for a full time program. I would not recommend an Executive program. Traditionally, "Executive" programs refer to one year accelerated programs that are more rubber stamp than true immersion and are targeted to senior execs or the C-level. Instead, I would recommend a part-time program that will mitigate the need to explain "why now?" at length in your essays.
So refer back to my equation, is what you are saying (briefly) about your goals logically building on the left side of the equation? If not, you need to redefine your goals to match your strengths and logically build upon what you have been up to.
Once you figure this out, then an admissions consultant (and most importantly you) can figure out what school you should target.
Please let me know if you need further explanation.
-Paul Lanzillotti

Founder | The Los Angeles MBA Workshop

arjunrampal wrote:
Hi,

Can you please help me to evaluate schools that I should target based on career goals and profile below.

Career goals:
o After MBA, business consulting
o Long term, entrepreneur

Brief summary of my profile:
o 11 years of full-time experience in IT with last 7 years in programme management in Nokia
o International work experience in the UK for last 6.5 years and 4.5 years in India
o Successfully managed IT programmes of upto $6M budget and around 60-90 members involved in a highly distributed manner
o Executive programme reporting to senior stakeholders (directors) and extensively worked with external customers
o Line management experience. Had responsibility of a 20 member team
o Bachelor of Engineering in Instrumentation & Control, Gujarat University, India, 1999. Secured third rank in the academics
o GMAT score 680 (Q 48, V 35) and AWA 5.5

I prefer to do the MBA from Europe or Asia, however I'm flexible.

Currently I'm considering to apply in the final round of London Business School, Oxford and Cambridge for the course starting in fall 2010, however, this is provisional choice.

Best regards,
Arjun

Hi Paul,
I don't believe that arjun has neglected to give us his long and short-term goals. Rather, he has outlined a path that is quite common among MBA applicants - getting exposure to a particular industry/industries through consulting, and moving on to entrepreneurship after gaining a few years of experience. This career path is acceptable across business school applications. Although shortlisting programs is important, what arjun wants to do is not niche enough to warrant being told that without an in-depth discussion, there can be no shortlist.

I think your acceptance equation is good. I also believe that this comes out in the natural course of a consultation with any candidate. Business school programs look for well-rounded candidates, and the inputs from the equation are important to draft what becomes the long/first essay of all MBA applications.

In arjun's case, he hasn't discussed his personal passions here, but in our experience, professional ambitions, especially for career-switchers, are frequently driven by personal passions. Also, although these are great to set a candidate apart, it is the whole package and presentation, especially in the competitive sub-group you described, that actually sets a candidate apart.

Regarding the GMAT, it is an important barometer, but far from being the only one, especially for a candidate with so many years of work experience. Our clients have been admitted to top business school programs with scores in the high 600s, due to a compelling presentation that is able to hold its own against those with slightly higher GMAT scores. Numbers are important, but presentation completes the package.

I respectfully disagree that Executive programs are rubber stamp programs, and that part-time programs do not have the burden of justifying "why now". Reasons for applying for an MBA, at a particular school, and for a particular year, are important across programs, regardless of what type. In arjun's case, he has had extensive work experience and is looking to be a career switcher. Both part-time and executive programs can be tailored more to older applicants than full-time programs, while some executive programs offer more career support. However, this differs across schools, and I am sure that with his prior experience and future ambitions, arjun will fully factor in career support services at the program he applies to and eventually attends.

I do believe that you offer great advice. However, we have been helping our clients since 2004 as well, and are speaking up to encourage a candidate versus making him fear he won't make it. Arjun has had a successful career thus far. We believe that with a presentation tailored to the program and applying when his application is the strongest regarding reasons of wanting to be there, will help him succeed at his future business-school ambitions.

Thanks,
My MBA Admit
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MBA Admit:
Thank you for your comments. I have sent mine via PM.
-Paul
Send PM
Of course, Paul. Nothing yet but we will reply back once we receive it.

Best,
My MBA Admit
GMAT Club Bot