GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jan 2019, 02:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (01:48) correct 77% (01:45) wrong based on 1998 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise experts point out that there is a surprising number of airports in the United States –even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

(A) is a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

(B) is a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities like New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks, pedestrian paths, and easily reachable during long layovers.

(C) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

(D) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities like New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths, easily reachable during long layovers.

(E) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths, and easily reachable during long layovers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/business/a-physiologist-suggests-exercise-during-airport-layovers.html

He urges airport managers to develop signs and promotional materials to encourage walking. He talks about the surprising number of airports that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths, easily reachable during layovers. He points out that terminals themselves are big enough to create your own indoor walking path.

Originally posted by riderofthestorm on 20 Aug 2013, 05:53.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Jan 2019, 02:30, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 10:45
nishantt7 wrote:
Please explain how D is the correct answer.

A and B can be eliminated because of the wrong singular verb "is" - should be "are": "a number of..." is plural.
C and E are wrong because of meaning issue: both these options imply that the airports are easily reachable during long layover, but the intended meaning is that public parks and pedestrian paths are easily reachable during long layover. The correct meaning is indicated in option D. However, Ideally the "like" in option D should have been "such as". It is generally said that GMAT prefers "such as" to introduce examples.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Re: While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Aug 2013, 07:10
sehgalnikhil wrote:
Out of C D & E we need "like" New york and Chicago rather than "Such as" so C and E are out.....hence OA is D.

I don't think this is 700 level question.... :)

Although you have chosen the correct answer, i believe your reasoning is flawed from C, D, E onwards..

C) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

This implies that the airports are easily reachable during layovers - Incorrect

D) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities like New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths, easily reachable during long layovers.

The parks and pedestrian paths are reachable during long layovers - Hold..

Experts please comment - I believe "such as" is preferred to "Like" on gmat?

E) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths, and easily reachable during long layovers.

Wrong same reason as C

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index.php/author/cbermanmanhattanprep-com/ - This is worth its weight in gold

Economist GMAT Test - 730, Q50, V41 Aug 9th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 670, Q45, V36 Aug 11th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 680, Q47, V36 Aug 17th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 1 - 770, Q50, V44 Aug 24th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 690, Q45, V39 Aug 30th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 710, Q48, V39 Sep 13th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 2 - 740, Q49, V41 Oct 6th, 2013

GMAT - 770, Q50, V44, Oct 7th, 2013
My Debrief - http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-the-ashes-thou-shall-rise-770-q-50-v-44-awa-5-ir-162299.html#p1284542

Originally posted by Transcendentalist on 20 Aug 2013, 07:08.
Last edited by Transcendentalist on 20 Aug 2013, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2013, 06:24
Straight D - As the underline portion of the sentence contain "is a surprising number of airports" whereas we need "ARE" with "a number of airports" - So A and B are out.

Out of C D & E we need "like" New york and Chicago rather than "Such as" so C and E are out.....hence OA is D.

I don't think this is 700 level question.... :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2013, 07:48
riderofthestorm wrote:
While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise experts point out that there is a surprising number of airports in the United States –even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

A) is a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

B) is a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities like New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks, pedestrian paths, and easily reachable during long layovers.

C) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

D) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities like New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths, easily reachable during long layovers.

E) are a surprising number of airports in the United States – even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths, and easily reachable during long layovers.

Lets split the clauses:
C1: While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise experts point out that
C2: there is a surprising number of airports in the United States
C3: –even those in the major cities such as New York and Chicago
C4: – that are adjacent to public parks and pedestrian paths and that are easily reachable during long layovers.

Now, the subject in C2 is "a surprising number of airports".
The subject and verb are written in reverse form.
"there is a surprising number of airports"

Since , a number is always plural. A and B are out.

D uses like.. As per GMAT, Like is used as a verb and as a noun when comparing entities. To state examples we use "such as".
So D is also out.

B/w C & E,

E is better. C is not wrong, but makes sentence a bit wordier, as it separates the two entities with that clause..

Thanks,
Jai

KUDOS if it helped..!!! :)
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2013, 09:23
Clear D. Explanation from Transcendentalist says it all..I got carried away with 'Such As', good learning such as is not always right. Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2013, 06:19
akankshasoneja wrote:
Can someone tell me why is 'like' preferred over 'such as' here? :(

The rule of thumb is:
Like can be converted to similar to X, whereas such as brings up a list of examples (which don't necessary have to be similar to X)

I would say, it's not the best example of usage in this sentence because we can't infer what the author means. It can be two things:
a) the major cities we refer to have to be similar to New York or Chicago (in terms of size, population, who knows? but they have to)
b) the major cities we refer to might have some things in common with... (a few examples here: New York, Chicago ... x, y, z) => less stronger than (a)

In (a) we infer that New York and Chicago have similarities between them and share special things which can only be found in these two cities, which the "major cities" have to be similar to.
In (b) the meaning is more generic, we want to bring up a list a of examples without necessary implying anything.

So, bottom line is, if the author meant (a) was correct, (b) he wasn't. Though I don't personally like this question, it doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong.
Also, straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.manhattangmat.com/strategy-s ... rammar.cfm
Hope this helps :)
Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 02:40
sayantanc2k wrote:
but the intended meaning is that public parks and pedestrian paths are easily reachable during long layover. The correct meaning is indicated in option D.

Hello,
how can one arrive at the intended meaning of sentence on higher difficulty questions? When a statement which reflects the meaning of the original sentence (A) and a sentence which conveys another meaning different from the original meaning , we usually tend to choose the sentence which reflects statement A isn't it?

doesn't D convey a different meaning which A doesn't state or is this a scenario specific to this question where we choose a sentence with a different meaning?
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 01:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2019, 01:07

While airline travel can be detrimental to your health, many exercise

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics