It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 514

Kudos [?]: 990 [1], given: 630

Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 09:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (00:18) correct 25% (00:38) wrong based on 127 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the famous composer Aaron Copland, who encouraged Bernstein to continue his study of music.

A. While being a teenager
B. While in his teenage years
C. At the time of his being a teenager
D. As being a teenager
E. As a teenager


oe to follow
Image
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by avohden on 18 Nov 2013, 00:58, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 990 [1], given: 630

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4430

Kudos [?]: 8490 [0], given: 102

Re: While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 11:21
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
avohden wrote:
While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the famous composer Aaron Copland, who encouraged Bernstein to continue his study of music.

A. While being a teenager
B. While in his teenage years
C. At the time of his being a teenager
D. As being a teenager
E. As a teenager

Dear avohden,
I'm happy to help. :-)

As usual, the word "being" is a good indication that an answer is not phrased in the best possible way. The "being" is not automatically wrong 100% of the time, but it's far more common in incorrect answer choices than in correct choices. Here, choices (A) & (C) & (D) all use it in hideous constructions: all three of those are wrong.

Choice (B) is grammatically correct, but it's a bit wordy. If there were nothing better, this could be a correct answer.

Choice (E), though, is very elegant: in a very short phrase, it is grammatically correct, and communicates everything efficiently. Choice (E) is the best answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8490 [0], given: 102

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 514

Kudos [?]: 990 [0], given: 630

Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2013, 22:08
official explanation

Answer E
- Since the underlined portion and the answer choices are so short, a vertical scan quickly reveals the five choices and their differences. (E) is the most succinct and efficient way to get across the idea. In this case, all of the other choices are wordy; plus (A), (C) and (D) all use -ing constructions which are frequently (though not always) wrong on Sentence Correction.

While (B) has no definite errors, when we compare (B) to (E), we see that (E) conveys the idea more efficiently, therefore (E) is correct.

Kudos [?]: 990 [0], given: 630

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2014
Posts: 71

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 102

Re: While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:39
Hi Mike,

I am not sure why E is correct because I thought "As" is followed by a noun only when it is used to state a function. Here, Elmer Bernstein was a teenager when he met Aaron and he wasn't acting the role of teenager. Is my understanding correct?

J

mikemcgarry wrote:
avohden wrote:
While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the famous composer Aaron Copland, who encouraged Bernstein to continue his study of music.

A. While being a teenager
B. While in his teenage years
C. At the time of his being a teenager
D. As being a teenager
E. As a teenager

Dear avohden,
I'm happy to help. :-)

As usual, the word "being" is a good indication that an answer is not phrased in the best possible way. The "being" is not automatically wrong 100% of the time, but it's far more common in incorrect answer choices than in correct choices. Here, choices (A) & (C) & (D) all use it in hideous constructions: all three of those are wrong.

Choice (B) is grammatically correct, but it's a bit wordy. If there were nothing better, this could be a correct answer.

Choice (E), though, is very elegant: in a very short phrase, it is grammatically correct, and communicates everything efficiently. Choice (E) is the best answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

_________________

Press KUDOs if you find my explanation helpful

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 102

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4430

Kudos [?]: 8490 [0], given: 102

Re: While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 09:30
TARGET730 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I am not sure why E is correct because I thought "As" is followed by a noun only when it is used to state a function. Here, Elmer Bernstein was a teenager when he met Aaron and he wasn't acting the role of teenager. Is my understanding correct?

J

Dear J,
I'm happy to respond. The preposition "as" is one of the most versatile words in the English language. It doesn't have a single role: it has dozens of roles. See this blog for a discussion of some:

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-involving-as/

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8490 [0], given: 102

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 249

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 10:48
Why is option E correct? Please review and let me know if my understanding of use of As is not correct :
1. Comparison (As + Clause)
2. Show two simultaneous actions
3. To present reasoning
4. Role/functions (As + Noun)
"As" followed by noun is used for roles and "teenager" is not a role/function. (For eg: J joined as a researcher - Here As + Noun makes sense)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 249

Re: While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2017, 10:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

While being a teenager, Elmer Bernstein met the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.