GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 12:45

Oct 15

Darden EA Calls have started. Join the Darden Chat or Darden Forum Discussion or Darden Decision Tracker

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his Engli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his Engli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2012, 19:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (00:40) correct 14% (00:47) wrong based on 627 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his English portraits, scholars have long been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties of the Italian Renaissance with the rational tradition of Northern Europe.

(A) been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
(B) been recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
(C) recognized him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist who
(D) recognized him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
(E) recognized him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
Manager
Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his Engli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2012, 22:24
In C, who clearly refers to Hands Holbein. Others, it is ambiguous!

Here is a request, while you are posting questions. Please do not reveal the OA. If you want something explained, you can always ask - Justify the answer. Otherwise, those who are trying the question for the first time might be mislead.

And for sentence correction questions please underline as it takes longer time to solve the question.

Thanks!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his Engli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:10
OAs with "who" in the end will suit the pronoun antecedent Hands Holbein.
(b),(d) out

have been recognizing is incorrect,the sentence is not in a flow where Hands Holbein was recognized long ago and continuously was recognized by scholars.
(a) out

now (c) vs (e)
"being" usage is improper in (e), also, "and who"is incorrect , (and who -can be used when two different qualities of the subject is enlisted but when "as a "is already introduces in the sentence then only "who"will follow later in the line.

eg:-Jon is the guy who is known for his maths skills and who is the least recognized guy in sports.
Maria is known as a computer guru of the college who teaches software.

Hope this was helpful !

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 04:27
Answer is C
While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his English portraits, scholars have long been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties of the Italian Renaissance with the rational tradition of Northern Europe.

(A) been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
the act of recognising can not keep on going indefinitely. Acknowledgement is done and then the fact is established.

(B) been recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
the act of recognising can not keep on going indefinitely. Acknowledgement is done and then the fact is established.

correct

(D) recognized him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
and he wrong

(E) recognized him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
being wrong, and who wrong

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 04:52
gjg wrote:

'and' in all the choices but C needs a parallel element, which is absent in all the choices.

Hence C is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 09:20
Hi, I answer right the question but I was wondering weather C is right if we add a coma after artist?

recognized him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist, and he
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 03:23
LHC8717 wrote:
Hi, I answer right the question but I was wondering weather C is right if we add a coma after artist?

recognized him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist, and he

I think C is still wrong.

The question makes a contrast using "while", so "and" makes a wrong contribution to this question.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 08:58
But how the who can also make a contrast ? As bschooladmit said that who refer to Hans and therefore , and he should also refer to Hans right?
Senior CR Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 09:33
LHC8717 wrote:
But how the who can also make a contrast ? As bschooladmit said that who refer to Hans and therefore , and he should also refer to Hans right?

In C, "who" refers to "a remarkably versatile artist", and "him" refers to "Hans Holbein the Younger"
Using "who" here to introduce new information

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 02:42
in D.
the idea in the ending clause is not closely connected with the beginning clause. ideas in the sentence are not closely connected. D is wrong.

this choice is hard to eliminated . but if we read C, clearly, choice D is much better.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 15:56
D changes meaning, and D does not fit the structure "while...,scholars...."
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 08:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his Engli &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 08:30

While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his Engli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap