It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why do EMBA when I have Part time as an option?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V36
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Why do EMBA when I have Part time as an option? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 12:09
I have been struggling with wanting to make a decision on which format is better. My profile: 15 years of experience in IT (includes 8 years managerial), most of it in consulting + Masters degree in IT, GMAT 670.

What I think:
EMBA is a very sought for "E" level MBA program that exposes a student to a variety of experiences.
Part-time on the other hand gives you the same MBA degree, from the same faculty in a similar amount of time period. What differs is the exposure part.

Question: Is that exposure worth $50,000 or more? Is money a valid factor to compare these formats? Am I missing something here?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27207 [1] , given: 5004

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Why do EMBA when I have Part time as an option? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
EMBA class is definitely going to be more interesting - you will have different professors, different experience, and a different level of classmates. Usually EMBA programs get the best "stuff" and some of these things (trips, retreats, events, smaller class size, etc may indeed command the higher price premium). I would suggest that you compare the two programs and classes based on the info school releases and try to make it apples to apples. Right now your judgement is based on an assumption that the two programs are the same, which they are not.

It is of course possible that the EMBA is priced for corporate check books, where price tag is often irrelevant since companies pay for the bulk of the bill.
The main question you should get an answer to - would you be able to attend the Part Time program or would they disqualify you based on age. Part Time programs tend to be much more flexible but still worth checking with the adcom to see if that's still an option.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27207 [1] , given: 5004

Current Student

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V36
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 13:41
Am glad you pointed out the basis of my comparison. I knew I was wrong somewhere. Also, the age factor is definitely a big one; will be contacting the adcoms now :)

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27207 [0], given: 5004

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 14:22
archie9 wrote:
Am glad you pointed out the basis of my comparison. I knew I was wrong somewhere. Also, the age factor is definitely a big one; will be contacting the adcoms now :)

Sounds good! FYI - you may want to reach out to a few alums/current students in the EMBA programs. I remember one being in Chicago who was pretty active last year during the application season but their nickname is not jumping out at me. I believe he/she was able to get in without even having to take the GMAT (it is definitely not as much of a factor as work experience and other qualifications). They were choosing between Chicago and Yale.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27207 [0], given: 5004

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 18:25
The age and experience difference is significant as noted. The network you will build in an executive program is different since the other students will be higher in their career and thus likely more helpful for you.

In terms of the GMAT, some schools don't require it for the EMBA. You could apply without it to Booth, Kellogg, Sloan, Anderson and Stern, among others. Wharton, Columbia and Haas require it and will not waive it.

Good luck!

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 17:45
I'll wade in with two key things that I think differentiate EMBA (disclosure - current EMBA at Haas).

1) As noted elsewhere, the seniority of your classmates and the quality of the interaction is top drawer. Often times the professors will look for class to interject learnings/anecdotes to share, or we'll end up in a debate about academic vs real-world issues. The level of discourse is excellent.

2) Time with your cohort - this is a big one. One reason I chose EMBA was to get the opportunity to leverage the residential component of my program. It not only allows me to be more realistic about dedicating my effort to the days I'm on campus rather than trying to fit it around evenings or one day a week but more significantly, you get much more interaction time to truly bond and get to know your fellow students. I simply cannot understate how important this is - you're surrounded by the most amazing group of peer coaches, supporters and folks who'll challenge you in a "safe" environment.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 12:44
I would first identify what your options are with your employer, because as noted many employers will pick up the tab but it may be specific to one type of MBA or another. So explore your options here. Admissions officers at these type of programs tend to be a bit more conversational about your fit than the FT counterparts so feel free to reach out (after doing your research of course) to get a better picture for the offering of the program or at least to get connected to current students.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Re: Why do EMBA when I have Part time as an option?   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2016, 12:44