GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Why is the verbal section of the gmat graded different than the Quant?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Why is the verbal section of the gmat graded different than the Quant?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 15:04
why is the algorithm for verbal and quant so different?

I took the gmat 6 months ago not knowing anything. i choose answers on sentence corrections on what sounded good and i got 34 on the verbal (610 overall)

I had this very naive assumption that if i got a 610 knowing nothing, that if i practiced hard for 4 months and mastered everything 700 was possible....
I just took the exam again and despite a HUGE difference in knowledge i got a 25 on the verbal (590 overall) and had to cancel the score

few things i noticed:
1) a single question wrong in the 1st 12 questions drastically alters your score ..there is almost no room for error ...I got a 43 on the verbal on a official practice exam 3 days ago and a 29 2 days prior to that ...The only major difference between both was 2 early question wrong. that is such a drastic score difference (in a life altering exam) for minor mistakes

the quant section is drastically more forgiving

2) if you arent a master of SC, the verbal section is a pure gamble for numerous reasons:
a) When you get a certain type of questions is purely random (despite requiring different skillsets), and the type has no effect on the question's worth. I'm great at Reading comprehension problems. the time i got a 43, the 1st 9 questions were RC...my official exam the 1st 8 were sentence correction ..and the 1st few questions are worth drastically more

b) you have to hope you know the specific rule being tested in SC (out of the hundreds tested), seeing how single questions alters you score. not knowing 1 rule and it being on your exam is costly.

i went from knowing nothing with a accuracy rate of about 40% on SC, and getting a 34 on the verbal...to spending months and months and months on drastically improving (to an accuracy rate of over 80%) to drop 9 points ..
i get that i got a favorable exam the 1st go round, and an unfavorable one the second time

but why does favorable/unfavorable play such a major role in a exam supposedly testing iq and business acumen?
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Why is the verbal section of the gmat graded different than the Quant?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 03:01
If what you are saying is true, than its really worrisome. However, one reason could be over-applying the knowledge in SC and getting yourself trapped between too many rules. Faced similar issues while solving questions before reading on SC and after reading on it.

Let's study and grow together
If the answer helped you, be generous and hit +1 Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member
Re: Why is the verbal section of the gmat graded different than the Quant?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 15:54
Did you purchase the ESR to see which types of questions you got wrong in verbal?
Your writing has grammatical mistakes. I rarely proofread when I type. Assuming you did proofread, there is plenty of basic English for you to improve on. I'm not criticising you from on high – I was (and still am) as dumb as they come regarding basic English grammar and recognise how hard it is to improve.
LBS Moderator
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 14:29
It is mainly due to the differences in peoples performance.

While many people do very well, sometimes even perfect, on the quant section, a perfect verbal score is much more rare.

This has an influence on the percentiles etc.

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 17:07
So fundamentally there isn't a difference in how the quant and verbal section are scored or in how the sections are delivered. I'd guess that even though your accuracy wasn't too different other than those two questions in the first 12 that there was a difference in the average difficulty of the questions you got wrong.

On the topic of sentence correction. The key to sentence correction is generally not knowing hundreds of grammar rules. Yes, you do need a grasp of the English language as a starting point. But most GMAT questions can be tackled by focusing on the straightforward differences between answer choices such as whether or not the sentence is parallel or whether the subject and verb agree. It is a rare GMAT question that actually requires you to know the exact rule behind a particular idiomatic construction. There will almost always be another reason to eliminate wrong answer choices. Questions requiring idiomatic knowledge do exist, but they're more rare than you think. Sentence correction is there to test your ability to prioritize and to think logically about the meaning of text more than it is to see whether you know every idiom in American English.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Why is the verbal section of the gmat graded different than the Quant?   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 17:07

Why is the verbal section of the gmat graded different than the Quant?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics