GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Why MBA ? career change -no other reasons

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Why MBA ? career change -no other reasons  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 23:46
Hi ! I have two questions :
( I am new to applying for a B school )

I am preparing to apply for a (master in management ) program soon .
I am a recent graduate , I come from different background .
I know that the goal someone is trying to achieve via the program should be clear , well defined ,etc.

But my only reason of doing an MIM is to change my career (to get into management field ). nothing else .
I have chosen the program because it opens the doors for recent graduate from any background to switch career to management .
I don't really have more reasons.
I have nothing more to say !
if i mentioned why I HATE my field ,and why i want to change it could this be taken negatively ? ( if you hate it why you studied it all these years ? , if you were not sure whether you like or hate it , how can you be sure that you will like management ? ,etc...)
so , What should I say more in my essay?

2. What do you want to do after the program ?
How to answer this question if i am not really sure about where to go (industry ) or what to do (function ) ?
In fact , I chose MIM because there are many roles/functions to choose from , and it does not make sense to someone who comes from different field to be sure about what he wants to do after the program .. management /marketing /... I don't know anything about these areas , I will figure that out DURING the program .

but my concern is that this not-sure attitude maybe viewd as negative ..
What do you suggest ?

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Why MBA ? career change -no other reasons  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 00:50
Hello foryearss

You should pursue an MBA if you have at least one of these compelling reasons (read here)
Past is past, don't dwell on it by bad mouthing it. If you hated your past field, that may have been due to lack of research. And since you don't know what you want out of an MBA that also displays certain lack of research. That means you may end up hating it too.
Don't be too rigid in selecting your goals and it is good to have an open mind, but at the same time have a couple of roles defined that you would want to do and would be realistic with your profile/background.
You should not pursue an MBA/MIM because you hate your current field and just want to escape your current situation. You should pursue because you love MBA and see it adding value to your career.
Research is the best way to find out whether an MBA/MIM is right for you and what sort of realistic options will it open for you that will interest you and match your skills.
How to research- speak to alumni, current students, your seniors, admission consultants.
Without finalizing goals you may end up shortlisting the wrong set of schools which is a big problem in itself.
To conclude- it is absolutely fine to have an open mind. But note down a couple of directions that are possible and would interest you at the same time.
Do NOT pursue an MBA just to escape your current situation.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

foryearss wrote:
Hi ! I have two questions :
( I am new to applying for a B school )

I am preparing to apply for a (master in management ) program soon .
I am a recent graduate , I come from different background .
I know that the goal someone is trying to achieve via the program should be clear , well defined ,etc.

But my only reason of doing an MIM is to change my career (to get into management field ). nothing else .
I have chosen the program because it opens the doors for recent graduate from any background to switch career to management .
I don't really have more reasons.
I have nothing more to say !
if i mentioned why I HATE my field ,and why i want to change it could this be taken negatively ? ( if you hate it why you studied it all these years ? , if you were not sure whether you like or hate it , how can you be sure that you will like management ? ,etc...)
so , What should I say more in my essay?

2. What do you want to do after the program ?
How to answer this question if i am not really sure about where to go (industry ) or what to do (function ) ?
In fact , I chose MIM because there are many roles/functions to choose from , and it does not make sense to someone who comes from different field to be sure about what he wants to do after the program .. management /marketing /... I don't know anything about these areas , I will figure that out DURING the program .

but my concern is that this not-sure attitude maybe viewd as negative ..
What do you suggest ?

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Manager
Manager
B
Why MBA ? career change -no other reasons  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 09:42
Thank youoneMBAcoach for your opinion
Quote:
Research is the best way to find out whether an MBA/MIM is right for you and what sort of realistic options will it open for you that will interest you and match your skills.

For me , i am 100% sure that MIM is the right for me , however , how to convey that in my essay is my problem .
I have researched and found out that MIM suits my situation , but my concern mentioned in my post is that my reasons might not be sufficient enough for the admission committee ..
and if i said the real reasons that might viewed negatively ..
my reasons : change career , and because MIM is a degree that will open a lot of fields and opportunities , i have read a lot of books about management , marketing .. out of curiosity and found out that this is for me without any doubt .
that's why I am sure that i will NOT hate it ..
But is this enough ?(for me yes 100% sure but for them ? )

Quote:
To conclude- it is absolutely fine to have an open mind. But note down a couple of directions that are possible and would interest you at the same time.
Do NOT pursue an MBA just to escape your current situation.

exactly , I have some paths that "would interest me " , but first i am not 100 % sure WHICH one i will be pursuing , and when i mention that some is interesting to me, they will ask why do i find these paths interesting ? and i find answering that difficult if i don't have experience in that field !

Quote:
You should not pursue an MBA/MIM because you hate your current field and just want to escape your current situation. You should pursue because you love MBA and see it adding value to your career.

I love MBA , but how to persuade them that it will add value to my career ? if what i want is a new career .
one rout to do that, is to link my background with (management )
so for example : i will be able to use management skills and apply them to my current field , i will have the advantage over people in the same field who don't have management skills , and we are at this time in need of people who have both management skills and (my background) , etc...
that makes a lot of sense from their point of view , but it is not true , i don't want to link the two , i want to pursue something else , different from my background .

to conclude , i am 100 % sure about my reasons and that MIM is the right thing for me at this exact time ,because it is designed for my situation , But i am afraid that these reasons will not be enough from their point of view .

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 09:58
Hello foryearss

Your concern is valid. But only because as any applicant you are trying to get into the head of the admissions committee and see what will impress them.
While it is certainly a good idea to preempt their questions/thoughts, there is a limit to what you can predict.
In that case, the best option is to always be honest. You have mentioned that you have done you research and very clearly understand why MIM/MBA is for you. Then where is the confusion? Tell them your reasons.
Even if you wish to completely switch your field and do nothing related to your past, there will certainly be skills that you would have learned there that will benefit you. These could be hard skills or soft skills. Now I'm not sure what your previous field is, say if you move from Finance to Marketing- you will carry certain skills with you. Your learning in finance could for example make you better at analyzing and reading data that other marketeers (a very crude example).
You don't have any experience in the field that you are targeting, but as you said you have done your research and have strong reasons. So just tell those.
And the best part is that you are already aware of what may be perceived as negative. Then focus on the future and why you want to do it, why you are suited to do it.
What you say or write in essays/interviews will fall into 3 categories- 100% right (very few), 100% wrong (again very few) and the grey areas (most of your application). If you share your exact answers one may be able to tell if something is completely wrong or if you need to polish some of the grey areas more.
Beyond this anyone can help you by viewing the actual specific statements and not the mostly generic discussion we have had (with almost no information on the actual nature of your answers or
background).

Let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 11:09
again thank you for your opinion ..
Quote:
where is the confusion? Tell them your reasons.

my concern is that my reasons are not enough .
why to study an MIM program ? one reason : to change career
why i think MIM is right for me ( and i will love it ) ? i can mention my research and what areas that would interest me ..
What to do after ? X , Y interest me , maybe i'll go there, but i am also open minded .

so after all , is this a good attitude ?
my point is that i am not one of those know-clearly-what-i-want candidates , and don't have enough compelling reasons ( other than career switch ) .

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 11:26
Career Switch is one of the strongest reasons. Go through the article I shared earlier hereto know more. You should know why you want to switch your career and what skills you have that will make such a switch successful.
After this it is virtually impossible for anyone to recommend anything when the statements are in terms of X & Y. If you are still confused and are not very sure you may want to look for external help. You might benefit when you discuss the specifics of your story and goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

foryearss wrote:
again thank you for your opinion ..
Quote:
where is the confusion? Tell them your reasons.

my concern is that my reasons are not enough .
why to study an MIM program ? one reason : to change career
why i think MIM is right for me ( and i will love it ) ? i can mention my research and what areas that would interest me ..
What to do after ? X , Y interest me , maybe i'll go there, but i am also open minded .

so after all , is this a good attitude ?
my point is that i am not one of those know-clearly-what-i-want candidates , and don't have enough compelling reasons ( other than career switch ) .

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Why MBA ? career change -no other reasons &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jun 2018, 11:26

Why MBA ? career change -no other reasons

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap