GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Within the last fifty years, the majority of the United States workfor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Board of Directors
D
Within the last fifty years, the majority of the United States workfor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 16:17
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:50) correct 28% (02:12) wrong based on 89 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Within the last fifty years, the majority of the United States workforce has moved from the manufacturing to the service sector of the economy. This shift has occurred, not because of a decline in the production of goods, but because, with applications of new technology, more production of goods can now be achieved with relatively fewer people, and more people are therefore available to satisfy the increased demand for services.

Which of the following, if true, provides evidence to support the claim made above that more production of goods can now be achieved with relatively fewer people?

(A) Many manufacturing industries in the United States have lost a significant share of their domestic and foreign, markets to foreign producers.
(B) Services accounted for half of all jobs in the late 1940's but today account for seventy percent of all jobs.
(C) Manufacturing output was one-third higher in 1980 than in ] 970, while manufacturing employment grew only five percent during that period.
(D) Manufacturing industries, on average, pay a higher per-hour wage and use fewer parttime employees than do service industries.
(E) Living standards in states that have shifted to manufacturing economies within the last fifty years are closer to the national average now than ,in 1940

Re: Within the last fifty years, the majority of the United States workfor  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 12:56
We need evidence to support the claim that more goods can now be produced by fewer workers. Only answer C even discusses the relationship between goods production and number of workers, so it is the only answer that has any chance to be right. I find the logic a bit tenuous though, since the question is about "now" but the evidence is from 40-50 years ago. Yes, it does suggest that something changed "within the last 50 years", but evidence that old doesn't say much about the situation "now". Still, it's a much better answer than the rest of them.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Within the last fifty years, the majority of the United States workfor   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 12:56

Within the last fifty years, the majority of the United States workfor

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics