Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Work experience required for the top ten B-schools [#permalink]
Hey Shwetta,

The short answer is the people who told you that are right. 1 year at the time of application is ambitiously ill-advised for the absolute top tier applicants. As an applicant from India, your pool is far too competitive for you to stand out with a year's experience.

I'm not saying drop the idea of the GMAT - take it if your dream is to go to a top ranked program! Just know that if you apply with a year's worth of experience, your odds aren't good - plain and simple.

My goal is to shoot you straight - I know you don't WANT to wait a few years to apply but if this means that much to you, then it is worth doing correctly. Take the time to build up your profile. Get some great experiences, get involved outside of work, and really take the next 2 - 3 years by the horns.

You've got time - don't rush this!

Bhavik
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

If you have extraordinary profile then you should apply with less than 2 years of work experience, many b-schools in US encourage people to apply with less work ex and I have seen in b-school websites and also attended few information sessions and got to know that they welcome applicants who are exceptionally talented and motivated, Candidates with no or limited professional experience must be strong in other aspects of their MBA application to offset the lack of experience. I would also suggest you to write to b-school admission committee and ask for their opinion about your profile. If you receive positive response then start focusing on your application, profile and GMAT. Let me know if you have any questions... Try your chances for top b-schools visit https://goo.gl/PJJU3

Regards,
Neha Singh

Shwetaa wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm a student of civil engineering from INDIA. I wish to prepare for GMAT and study in one of the best business colleges of the world. As MBA there is very expensive, I would like to join only if I get into top 10 or 20 colleges. I've heard that they ask for minimum two years of work experience. I'm in my final year now. And I plan to apply after getting work experience of one year job. Everyone suggests that I should drop the idea of GMAT because I would never get into the top ten without two-three years' work experience. Kindly guide me for the same. I really want to work hard to get 750+ if work experience is not a resistance.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot