It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 13:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would top B schools consider me with work ex in HR background?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Would top B schools consider me with work ex in HR background? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 03:03
Hi,
So, I did my MBA in HR from one of the borderline premier institutes in India.
Currently am a HR Manager working with a major sales and distribution firm in India. My role is of HR Business partnering for sales division of an entire state.
Prior to this, post my engineering I had 2 years of solid work ex with a major battery manufacturing firm in the role of product development.
I plan to take the GMAT and go for a second MBA with the sole purpose of transitioning my career out of HR, preferably into general management or strategy.
My query is, would my workex in HR be a major hurdle in getting admitted in the top B schools? Are professionals with work ex in HR given a differential treatment?
Also, will my workex in HR be detrimental to the career transition that I am planning to make while getting a job post the MBA?
Please help!

I havent found any examples of people with HR workex getting into the top B schools. would be great if someone shares such profiles.
Also can anyone guide me regarding whom or where should I talk with regarding my queries?

Here is my profile:
X-92%
XII- 85%
Btech from National Institute of Technology India - 7.31 CGPA
2 years of work ex in New product development role in major battery manufacturing firm. (Market Leader)
MBA in HR from borderline premier institute in India
3-4 years of work ex as HR manager in HR Business Partner role.

TIA :)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Would top B schools consider me with work ex in HR background? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 10:52
bokachele wrote:
Hi,
So, I did my MBA in HR from one of the borderline premier institutes in India.
Currently am a HR Manager working with a major sales and distribution firm in India. My role is of HR Business partnering for sales division of an entire state.
Prior to this, post my engineering I had 2 years of solid work ex with a major battery manufacturing firm in the role of product development.
I plan to take the GMAT and go for a second MBA with the sole purpose of transitioning my career out of HR, preferably into general management or strategy.
My query is, would my workex in HR be a major hurdle in getting admitted in the top B schools? Are professionals with work ex in HR given a differential treatment?
Also, will my workex in HR be detrimental to the career transition that I am planning to make while getting a job post the MBA?
Please help!

I havent found any examples of people with HR workex getting into the top B schools. would be great if someone shares such profiles.
Also can anyone guide me regarding whom or where should I talk with regarding my queries?

Here is my profile:
X-92%
XII- 85%
Btech from National Institute of Technology India - 7.31 CGPA
2 years of work ex in New product development role in major battery manufacturing firm. (Market Leader)
MBA in HR from borderline premier institute in India
3-4 years of work ex as HR manager in HR Business Partner role.

TIA :)

Thanks for your question! Remember that B schools WANT people with diverse backgrounds- so I would encourage you to be proud of your HR background and think about how having experience through the HR lens can add value to the class discussions and what kinds of specific points you could talk about from your experience. Business schools are more concerned with what you want to do post MBA and from what you tell me here some schools will want to know as much as possible about why the one MBA was not enough- think of it this way- scenario 1- the school says- gee why does this guy need a second MBA? is he just rolling the dice because he does not like how his career is progressing? or scenario 2: after learning x and y in HR roles, I realize I want to pursue X career because I like doing a, b and I realize I need an MBA to learn more about a and b in B school.
Do you see how scenario 2 sounds more thought out? more researched? You want the B schools to read your app and put you in scenario 2 and not 1! And the way you do that is with specificity. So that's the biggest challenge I see for you- and I also think you should know about the schools you want to attend and WHY- what programs interest you? Since this is not your first B school rodeo, the schools will expect you know more about yourself and your career options at this point.

I see this as a much bigger hurdle than the HR function. If you position that in the right light, it can be a strength. If you want to reach out to us for a free consult to discuss further- you can do so at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 45

Re: Would top B schools consider me with work ex in HR background?   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2017, 10:52

Would top B schools consider me with work ex in HR background?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap