It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 09:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 218

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 671

Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 10:43
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


Responding to pm.

Absolute value properties:

When \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\leq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={-(some \ expression)}\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x\geq{0}\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\geq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={some \ expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

STEP BY STEP SOLUTION:

We have three transition points for \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): -8, -3, and 4 (transition point is the value of x for which an expression in the modulus equals to zero). Thus we have four ranges to check:

1. \(x<-8\);
2. \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\);
3. \(-3<x<4\)
4. \(x\geq{4}\)

Note that it does not matter in which range(s) you include the transition points with "=" sign as long you include them.

1. When \(x<-8\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is negative. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=-(8+x)\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =-(8+x)\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x<-8\)).

2. When \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=-15\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-15\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\)).

3. When \(-3<x<4\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=9\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=9\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-3<x<4\)).

4. When \(x\geq{4}\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is negative and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=-(4-x)=x-4\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (x-4) =8+x\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x\geq{4}\)).

Thus no value of x satisfies \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.



Hi Bunuel, I am not able to understand some part of point 2 where the range is -8<=x<=-3. What I understood is that the numbers possible are -8 to -3 as possible values of x. Now if we take -8 as value of x then |x+3| is negative but if we take -3 as value of x then it becomes 0 (-3+3=0). But we took it as negative. Same case when we take value of x is -8 for |8+x|. Where my understanding in wrong? Thanks in advance.
_________________

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 671

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Posts: 44

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 162

Location: United States
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 20:30
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


|x| = x when x >= 0 (x is either positive or 0)
|x| = -x when x < 0 (note here that you can put the equal to sign here as well x <= 0 because if x = 0,
|0| = 0 = -0 (all are the same)
So the '=' sign can be put with x > 0 or with x < 0. We usually put it with 'x > 0' for consistency.

When we are considering ranges, say,
x < -8 ------ x is less than -8
-8 <= x < -3 ------- x is greater than or equal to -8 but less than -3
-3 <= x < 4 ------- x is greater than or equal to -3 but less than 4
x >=4 -------- x is greater than or equal to 4

We need to include the transition points (-8, -3, 4) somewhere so we include them with greater than sign.

Mind you, we could have taken the ranges as
x <= -8
-8 < x <= -3
-3 < x <= 4
x > 4

The only point is that we don't include the transition points twice.

Hope the role of '=' sign is clear.


Hi, I know how to go about the above problem but the problem is with the signs. I saw this solution also at places but I am confused with the signs

Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x. why |4-x| is –(4-x)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x. why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x and x>0, hence |x| = x . why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x>0, hence |x| = x why |4-x| is +(4-x)
The signs are all reverse for – |4-x| & |8+x|of what I started off with. Please help

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 162

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5358

Kudos [?]: 6146 [0], given: 121

Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 20:44
riteshpatnaik wrote:
Hi, I know how to go about the above problem but the problem is with the signs. I saw this solution also at places but I am confused with the signs

Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x. why |4-x| is –(4-x)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x. why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x and x>0, hence |x| = x . why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x>0, hence |x| = x why |4-x| is +(4-x)
The signs are all reverse for – |4-x| & |8+x|of what I started off with. Please help


Hi,

you have to pick a VALUE falling in the range you are taking and see what happens to the value within the MOD..
1) if the solution of the MOD is a negative number, add a -ive sign..
2)if the solution of the MOD is a positive number, add a +ive sign..


let me show with some examples --
C) -3 <= x < 4 ----- (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x and x>0, hence |x| = x . why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)
take x as 0 as it falls in the given range -3 <= x < 4
see what happens to each MOD at this value
i) |x+3|.. 0+3=3 so + sign in front of MOD .. (x+3)
ii) |4-x|.. 4-0=4 so + sign in front of MOD


b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x. why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)

take the value as -5..
|x+3|.. -5+3=-2 so a negative sign.. -(x+3)
|4-x|.. 4-(-5)=9.. so +sign.. (4-x)
|8+x|.. 8-5=3 so +sign... (8+x)


Hope it helps
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6146 [0], given: 121

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7799

Kudos [?]: 18140 [0], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 08:16
riteshpatnaik wrote:
Hi, I know how to go about the above problem but the problem is with the signs. I saw this solution also at places but I am confused with the signs

Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x. why |4-x| is –(4-x)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x. why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x < 0 hence |x| = -x and x>0, hence |x| = x . why |4-x| is –(4-x) and |8+x| is (8+x)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> here x>0, hence |x| = x why |4-x| is +(4-x)
The signs are all reverse for – |4-x| & |8+x|of what I started off with. Please help


Let me first tell you that in this question, x < 0 has no significance.

|x| = x when x >= 0
|x| = -x when x < 0

On the same lines,
|x + 4| = x + 4 when (x + 4) >= 0
|x + 4| = -(x + 4) when (x + 4 ) < 0

In the first definition, x is just a placeholder for any expression.

|x^2 - 8| = x^2 - 8 when (x^2 - 8) >= 0
|x^2 - 8| = -(x^2 - 8) when (x^2 - 8) < 0

So, how do you get rid of |x + 3| in the original question? You take two cases: (x + 3) >= 0 or (x + 3) < 0
|x + 3| = x + 3 when (x + 3) >= 0 (i.e. when x >= -3)
|x + 3| = -(x + 3) when (x + 3) < 0 (i.e. when x < -3)
That is how you get -3 as a transition point.

Do the same for other expressions.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18140 [0], given: 236

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Apr 2016
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 17:33
I solved it very differently and got the right answer. Not sure whether it was a fluke.

I squared both sides. so the expression becomes: (x^2 +9 + 6x) - (16 +x^2 - 8x) = 64 + x^2 + 16x ---> 0 = x^2 + 2x + 71.

Now using the quadratic equation formula you find that the discriminant i.e. \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac} will be negative and hence 0 solutions.

Is this approach correct?

guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7799

Kudos [?]: 18140 [0], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 22:26
ameyaprabhu wrote:
I solved it very differently and got the right answer. Not sure whether it was a fluke.

I squared both sides. so the expression becomes: (x^2 +9 + 6x) - (16 +x^2 - 8x) = 64 + x^2 + 16x ---> 0 = x^2 + 2x + 71.

Now using the quadratic equation formula you find that the discriminant i.e. \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac} will be negative and hence 0 solutions.

Is this approach correct?

guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


Note that \((a + b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab\)

So \((|x+3| - |4-x|)^2 =|x + 3|^2 + |4 - x|^2 - 2*|x + 3|*|4 - x|\)

You missed out the last term. You would need to square it yet again and that will complicate the question further.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18140 [0], given: 236

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Apr 2016
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 16:47
ohh right...thanks.

but if there is a situation where |a-b| = |e+f| (variables or constants), then I can safely square them right? Or do I need to keep certain things in mind before doing that.

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ameyaprabhu wrote:
I solved it very differently and got the right answer. Not sure whether it was a fluke.

I squared both sides. so the expression becomes: (x^2 +9 + 6x) - (16 +x^2 - 8x) = 64 + x^2 + 16x ---> 0 = x^2 + 2x + 71.

Now using the quadratic equation formula you find that the discriminant i.e. \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac} will be negative and hence 0 solutions.

Is this approach correct?

guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


Note that \((a + b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab\)

So \((|x+3| - |4-x|)^2 =|x + 3|^2 + |4 - x|^2 - 2*|x + 3|*|4 - x|\)

You missed out the last term. You would need to square it yet again and that will complicate the question further.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7799

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 23:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ameyaprabhu wrote:
ohh right...thanks.

but if there is a situation where |a-b| = |e+f| (variables or constants), then I can safely square them right? Or do I need to keep certain things in mind before doing that.



Yes you can. No problem with that. You can square without worrying, if squaring helps your case.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.21
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 13:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1. Might sound super stupid to you all... but when you say |4-x| = |x-4|

then why are answers different in each case if I try from both the ways,

2. Why are all not positive (|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|) in case of x>4?

Like they were when Karishma tried to explaing. I got it from her concept but then I read this one... and it has |4-x| ..now I dont know whats going on.

Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


Responding to pm.

Absolute value properties:

When \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\leq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={-(some \ expression)}\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x\geq{0}\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\geq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={some \ expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

STEP BY STEP SOLUTION:

We have three transition points for \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): -8, -3, and 4 (transition point is the value of x for which an expression in the modulus equals to zero). Thus we have four ranges to check:

1. \(x<-8\);
2. \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\);
3. \(-3<x<4\)
4. \(x\geq{4}\)

Note that it does not matter in which range(s) you include the transition points with "=" sign as long you include them.

1. When \(x<-8\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is negative. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=-(8+x)\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =-(8+x)\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x<-8\)).

2. When \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=-15\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-15\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\)).

3. When \(-3<x<4\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=9\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=9\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-3<x<4\)).

4. When \(x\geq{4}\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is negative and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=-(4-x)=x-4\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (x-4) =8+x\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x\geq{4}\)).

Thus no value of x satisfies \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.21
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 13:26
Could you explain the same by solving with just one of the examples but with |4-x|

I understood the concept you have explained... but I am confused how would it be solved if I dont convert it to |x-4|..

Thanks!
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MadCowMartin wrote:
I am stuck on this part in the Gmat Club book. I do understand how the conditions are set. But I can't figure out how the values for x were determined in those conditions. Ill use just a and b:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)
b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

Where do the x = ' ' values come from? I have been staring at this for half an hour.
I understood the whole concept in the '3-steps approach' but the '3-steps approach for complex problems' has me stuck suddenly. There goes mij GMAT-Mojo! Anyone able to help me get it back? Thanks.


BTW: Is this 650+ level?


You solve the equation to get the x = values

First of all, you are given |x+3|-|4-x|=|8+x|
Convert this to |x+3|-|x-4|=|x+8| (since it is a mod, |4-x| is the same as |x-4|)

Now key points are -8, -3 and 4.

Case a: x< -8
When x < -8, all three expressions (x + 3), (x - 4) and (x + 8) are negative.

So |x+3| = - (x + 3) (using the definition of mod)
|x-4| = - (x - 4)
|x+8| = - (x + 8)

-(x+3) - [-(x-4)] = -(x+8)
-7 = -x - 8
x = -1
Condition not satisfied so rejected.

And no, it is 750+ level.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Feb 2016
Posts: 93

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 37

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: LBS '18, IE April '17
Reviews Badge
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 03:32
Hi Bunuel,

As you mentioned then by using any transition points, can we take the ranges as follows:

a) x≤-8
b) -8<x<-3
c) -3≤x≤4
d) x>4
_________________

Give kudos and appreciate if you think its worthwhile

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7799

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 19:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
smritidabas wrote:
Could you explain the same by solving with just one of the examples but with |4-x|

I understood the concept you have explained... but I am confused how would it be solved if I dont convert it to |x-4|..

Thanks!
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MadCowMartin wrote:
I am stuck on this part in the Gmat Club book. I do understand how the conditions are set. But I can't figure out how the values for x were determined in those conditions. Ill use just a and b:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)
b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

Where do the x = ' ' values come from? I have been staring at this for half an hour.
I understood the whole concept in the '3-steps approach' but the '3-steps approach for complex problems' has me stuck suddenly. There goes mij GMAT-Mojo! Anyone able to help me get it back? Thanks.


BTW: Is this 650+ level?


You solve the equation to get the x = values

First of all, you are given |x+3|-|4-x|=|8+x|
Convert this to |x+3|-|x-4|=|x+8| (since it is a mod, |4-x| is the same as |x-4|)

Now key points are -8, -3 and 4.

Case a: x< -8
When x < -8, all three expressions (x + 3), (x - 4) and (x + 8) are negative.

So |x+3| = - (x + 3) (using the definition of mod)
|x-4| = - (x - 4)
|x+8| = - (x + 8)

-(x+3) - [-(x-4)] = -(x+8)
-7 = -x - 8
x = -1
Condition not satisfied so rejected.

And no, it is 750+ level.



It doesn't matter whether you use |x - 4| or |4 - x|. The answer will stay the same.

I. Consider |x - 4|

When x >= 4, then (x - 4) is positive (try putting in x = 5) so
|x - 4| = x - 4

When x < 4, then (x - 4) is negative (try putting in x = 3) so
|x - 4| = -(x - 4) = 4 - x

II. Consider |4 - x|

When x >= 4, then (4 - x) is negative (try putting in x = 5 to see) so
|4 - x| = - (4 - x) = x - 4

When x< 4, then (4 - x) is positive (try putting in x = 3 to see) so
|4 - x| = 4 - x

Note that in both cases, when x >= 4, you get (x - 4) and when x < 4, you get (4 - x).
Just that case I is more intuitive so it's easier to flip first and then solve.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

Retired Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 594

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 45

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 06:42
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


Responding to pm.

Absolute value properties:

When \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\leq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={-(some \ expression)}\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x\geq{0}\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\geq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={some \ expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

STEP BY STEP SOLUTION:

We have three transition points for \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): -8, -3, and 4 (transition point is the value of x for which an expression in the modulus equals to zero). Thus we have four ranges to check:

1. \(x<-8\);
2. \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\);
3. \(-3<x<4\)
4. \(x\geq{4}\)

Note that it does not matter in which range(s) you include the transition points with "=" sign as long you include them.

1. When \(x<-8\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is negative. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=-(8+x)\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =-(8+x)\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x<-8\)).

2. When \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=-15\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-15\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\)).

3. When \(-3<x<4\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=9\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=9\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-3<x<4\)).

4. When \(x\geq{4}\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is negative and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=-(4-x)=x-4\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (x-4) =8+x\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x\geq{4}\)).

Thus no value of x satisfies \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.



Hi Bunuel,

I am getting confused at the sign changes. Please explain a bit clearly.

We have three transition points for \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): -8, -3, and 4 (transition point is the value of x for which an expression in the modulus equals to zero). Thus we have four ranges to check:

1. \(x<-8\);
2. \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\);
3. \(-3<x<4\)
4. \(x\geq{4}\)

Now we have four ranges:

As per property...................... |x| < 0 ... | some expression | = - some expression ---> Property 1
|x| > 0 ... | some expression | = some expression ----> Property 2.

Confirm the below:
Now case 1 : x < -8 then |x+3| = - (x+3) and |x-4| = - ( x-4) ( this has to -ve but you mentioned as positive ) and |x+8| = - (x +8 )

and confused for the other three ranges as well on how the expressions got +ve and -ve signs.
What all need to be checked to give positive and negative signs to the expressions, as you mentioned in the solution for the above four ranges.

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 45

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42629

Kudos [?]: 135834 [1], given: 12715

Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 05:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
msk0657 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


Responding to pm.

Absolute value properties:

When \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\leq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={-(some \ expression)}\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x\geq{0}\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\geq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={some \ expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

STEP BY STEP SOLUTION:

We have three transition points for \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): -8, -3, and 4 (transition point is the value of x for which an expression in the modulus equals to zero). Thus we have four ranges to check:

1. \(x<-8\);
2. \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\);
3. \(-3<x<4\)
4. \(x\geq{4}\)

Note that it does not matter in which range(s) you include the transition points with "=" sign as long you include them.

1. When \(x<-8\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is negative. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=-(8+x)\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =-(8+x)\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x<-8\)).

2. When \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\), then \(x+3\) is negative, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=-(x+3)\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(-(x+3) - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=-15\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-15\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\)).

3. When \(-3<x<4\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is positive and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=4-x\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (4-x) =8+x\): --> \(x=9\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=9\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(-3<x<4\)).

4. When \(x\geq{4}\), then \(x+3\) is positive, \(4-x\) is negative and \(8+x\) is positive. Thus \(|x+3|=x+3\), \(|4-x|=-(4-x)=x-4\) and \(|8+x|=8+x\).

Therefore for this range \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): transforms to \(x+3 - (x-4) =8+x\): --> \(x=-1\). This solution is NOT OK, since \(x=-1\) is NOT in the range we consider (\(x\geq{4}\)).

Thus no value of x satisfies \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.



Hi Bunuel,

I am getting confused at the sign changes. Please explain a bit clearly.

We have three transition points for \(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\): -8, -3, and 4 (transition point is the value of x for which an expression in the modulus equals to zero). Thus we have four ranges to check:

1. \(x<-8\);
2. \(-8\leq{x}\leq{-3}\);
3. \(-3<x<4\)
4. \(x\geq{4}\)

Now we have four ranges:

As per property...................... |x| < 0 ... | some expression | = - some expression ---> Property 1
|x| > 0 ... | some expression | = some expression ----> Property 2.

Confirm the below:
Now case 1 : x < -8 then |x+3| = - (x+3) and |x-4| = - ( x-4) ( this has to -ve but you mentioned as positive ) and |x+8| = - (x +8 )

and confused for the other three ranges as well on how the expressions got +ve and -ve signs.
What all need to be checked to give positive and negative signs to the expressions, as you mentioned in the solution for the above four ranges.


When x<-8:
x+3 becomes negative, thus |x+3|=-(x+3);
x+8 becomes negative, thus |x+8|=-(x+8);
4-x becomes positive, thus |4-x|=4-x. For example, 4-(-9)=13=positive.

Theory on Absolute Values: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html
The E-GMAT Question Series on ABSOLUTE VALUE: the-e-gmat-question-series-on-absolute-value-198503.html
Properties of Absolute Values on the GMAT: properties-of-absolute-values-on-the-gmat-191317.html
Absolute Value: Tips and hints: absolute-value-tips-and-hints-175002.html

DS Absolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS Absolute Values Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Hard set on Absolute Values: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135834 [1], given: 12715

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7799

Kudos [?]: 18140 [0], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 20:49
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


|x| = x when x >= 0 (x is either positive or 0)
|x| = -x when x < 0 (note here that you can put the equal to sign here as well x <= 0 because if x = 0,
|0| = 0 = -0 (all are the same)
So the '=' sign can be put with x > 0 or with x < 0. We usually put it with 'x > 0' for consistency.

When we are considering ranges, say,
x < -8 ------ x is less than -8
-8 <= x < -3 ------- x is greater than or equal to -8 but less than -3
-3 <= x < 4 ------- x is greater than or equal to -3 but less than 4
x >=4 -------- x is greater than or equal to 4

We need to include the transition points (-8, -3, 4) somewhere so we include them with greater than sign.

Mind you, we could have taken the ranges as
x <= -8
-8 < x <= -3
-3 < x <= 4
x > 4

The only point is that we don't include the transition points twice.

Hope the role of '=' sign is clear.


Responding to a pm:
[quote]

Request you to throw some more light on this concept
I have confusion why we have taken x<-8 and why not x>-8

[/quote

The transition points are -8, -3 and 4.

Draw them on the number line:

------------------- (-8) ----------- (-3) --------------------------- (4) -------------

In different sections of this number line, the terms are going to behave differently.
When x < -8,
|x + 8| = - (x + 8)
For the other terms too, when we remove the absolute value sign, we need a negative sign.

At x = -8, the sign for |x +8| turns.
When x >= -8 but less than -3, then
|x+8| = x + 8
For the other terms, when we remove the absolute value sign, we need a negative sign.

Hence each of the four sections of the number line are considered separately.

For more on this, check: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/06 ... -the-gmat/
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18140 [0], given: 236

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7799

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 22:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Responding to a pm:

Quote:
Will you please explain why you didn't take -(x+3) + (4-x)

Why you counted -(4-x)


It comes down to whether you understand why we take ranges and change signs. First check this post:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/06 ... -the-gmat/

Now take a simpler example:

|x - 2| + |x - 5| = 4

What do you need to consider here?
For |x - 2|, you have to think about x < 2 and x >= 2
For |x - 5|, you have to think about x < 5 and x >= 5

To consider both together, you have
one range x < 2.
Another is x >= 2 and x < 5 so this is 2 <= x < 5.
Yet another is x >= 5

Now, will you worry about x < 2 and at the same time, x > 5? No. There will not be such a value of x. This is where |x - 2| will open as -(x - 2) and |x - 5| will open as (x - 5). This doesn't exist.

So in a question like this: |x - 2| + |x - 5| = 4, you don't have 4 cases ((x - 2) positive or negative and (x - 5) positive or negative). You have only 3 cases. The 4th case will not exist.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Posts: 108

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 07:41
guerrero25 wrote:
|x+3| – |4-x| = |8+x| How many solutions will this equation have?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


[Reveal] Spoiler:
I am trying to understand the Modules questions - I took this from GMAT club's quant book .

Q. |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation have?

I could not follow why the equal signs are considered ? e.g -8 <= x < -3 , -3 <= x < 4, x >=4 ..Appreciate if someone can explain the logic?


Solution: There are 3 key points here: -8, -3, 4. So we have 4 conditions:

a) x < -8. -(x+3) - (4-x) = -(8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not less than -8)

b) -8 <= x < -3. -(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -15. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-8,-3) interval.)

c) -3 <= x < 4 (x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = 9. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-15 is not within (-3,4) interval.)

d) x >=4. (x+3) + (4-x) = (8+x) --> x = -1. We reject the solution because our condition is not satisfied (-1 is not more than 4)

thanks !


A faster way to solve this is to notice that:
|x+3|-|4-x|=|8+x|>=0

this give us 2 equations:
1. |x+3|-|4-x|>=0 - > solving 4 cases here (which 2 cases are not possible) give us x>=1/2 and x<=1/2 -> 1/2 is the only value for all the 4 options
2. |8+x|>=0 -> give us x>=-8 or x<=-8 -> which give us 1 value x=1/2

Those 2 equations should have a shared area on the number line, and since they do no have it, there is no solution for this euqation -> 0 values.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 612

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2013
Posts: 23

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 63

Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 04:45
johnwesley wrote:
You do it in the proper way. This method is called the "critical values" method. And once you have the critical values (by doing each absolute term equal to zero), you have to place them in the Real numbers line to make all the possible intervals. Then you just do the intervals as follows: x<lowest number in your real line, and then you take the intervals from each critical value to before the next one: i.e. x<-8, -8<=x<-3, -3<=x<4, x<=4. Therefore, you are getting all the possible intervals in the real line, and splitting the intervals from one critical value (including it) to before the next critical value (not including it).

Then, as you have done, you just set the predominant sign for each term under each condition, you solve the equation, and finally you check if the result saqtisfies the condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find the above technique easier for these problems.

Can someone please confirm if my below approach is correct :

The roots/criticial values for the given equations are : -8,-3,4.

Now placing these values on the no. line we have four ranges & checking for each ranges :

1. For x greater than 4

Randomly selecting any value greater than 4 , lets say x = 10

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|10+3| - |4-10| is not equal to |8+10|

So any value greater than 4 doesnot satisfy the equation.

2. For x between -3 & 4

Let x = 2
|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|2+3| - |4-2| is not equal to |8+2|

So any value between -3 & 4 doesnot satisfy the equation.

3. For x between -8 & -3,

Let x = -2

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|-2+3| - |4-(-2)| is not equal to |8+(-2)|

So any value between -8 & -3 doesnot satisfy the equation.

4. For x lesser than -8,

Let x = -9

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|-9+3| - |4-(-9)| is not equal to |8+(-9)|

So any value less than -8 doesnot satisfy the equation.

So the total solution is 0.

Please confirm if my above approach is correct .


Thanks
Kshitij

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 63

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7799

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 23:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kshitij89 wrote:
johnwesley wrote:
You do it in the proper way. This method is called the "critical values" method. And once you have the critical values (by doing each absolute term equal to zero), you have to place them in the Real numbers line to make all the possible intervals. Then you just do the intervals as follows: x<lowest number in your real line, and then you take the intervals from each critical value to before the next one: i.e. x<-8, -8<=x<-3, -3<=x<4, x<=4. Therefore, you are getting all the possible intervals in the real line, and splitting the intervals from one critical value (including it) to before the next critical value (not including it).

Then, as you have done, you just set the predominant sign for each term under each condition, you solve the equation, and finally you check if the result saqtisfies the condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find the above technique easier for these problems.

Can someone please confirm if my below approach is correct :

The roots/criticial values for the given equations are : -8,-3,4.

Now placing these values on the no. line we have four ranges & checking for each ranges :

1. For x greater than 4

Randomly selecting any value greater than 4 , lets say x = 10

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|10+3| - |4-10| is not equal to |8+10|

So any value greater than 4 doesnot satisfy the equation.

2. For x between -3 & 4

Let x = 2
|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|2+3| - |4-2| is not equal to |8+2|

So any value between -3 & 4 doesnot satisfy the equation.

3. For x between -8 & -3,

Let x = -2

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|-2+3| - |4-(-2)| is not equal to |8+(-2)|

So any value between -8 & -3 doesnot satisfy the equation.

4. For x lesser than -8,

Let x = -9

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|

|-9+3| - |4-(-9)| is not equal to |8+(-9)|

So any value less than -8 doesnot satisfy the equation.

So the total solution is 0.

Please confirm if my above approach is correct .


Thanks
Kshitij


Note that in this case, all values in the range will not satisfy the equation.
Say when you take x < -8, you could have got x = -9. But what if you had actually tried x = -10 only and decided that no value in the range satisfies?
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18140 [1], given: 236

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Mar 2016
Posts: 42

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 05:34
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Can someone tell me if this approach is correct?

|x+3|-|4-x|=|8+x|

So we have:

x=-3
x=4
x=-8

x<-8
-(x+3) - (4+x) = -(8+x)
-x-3 - 4 - x = -8-x
-2x-7=-8-x
1=x (fails, as x is 1 when it must be less than -8)

-8<x<-3
-(x+3) - (4-x) = (8+x)
-x-3 -4+x=8+x
-7=8+x
-15=x (fails, as x is -15 when it must be between -8 and -3)

-3<x<4
(x+3)-(4+x)=8+x
-1=8+x
-9=x (fails, as x is -9 when it must be between -3 and 4)

x>4
(x+3) - -(4-x) = (8+x)
x+3 - (-4+x) = (8+x)
x+3 +4-x=8+x
7=8+x
x=-1 (fails, as x=-1 when it must be greater than 4)

Is this correct?

Thanks!




I understood how to calculate key point (or range)
but plz tell me how do we decide the sign (x+3), (4-x) & (8+x) for different ranges

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

Re: |x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2017, 05:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|. How many solutions does the equation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.