GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 07:07

Happening NOW:

INSEAD Rolling Out R1 Admission Decisions - Join CHAT Room2 to Get Latest Updates from Fellow Applicants


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 78
Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 04:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:21) correct 39% (02:44) wrong based on 279 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is a positive integer. Given that n > k, where k is also a positive integer, x is the maximum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, and y is the minimum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, what is x + y?

(A) kn
(B) kn + k^2
(C) kn + 2k^2
(D) 2kn – k^2
(E) 2kn
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45360
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 04:21
7
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Smita04 wrote:
Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is a positive integer. Given that n > k, where k is also a positive integer, x is the maximum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, and y is the minimum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, what is x + y?

(A) kn
(B) kn + k^2
(C) kn + 2k^2
(D) 2kn – k^2
(E) 2kn


Probably the easiest way to solve this question would be to assume some values for n and k.

Say n=3, so Z, the set of the first n positive odd numbers would be: Z={1, 3, 5};
Say k=1, so X, the maximum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 5. Similarly, Y, the minimum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 1.

X+Y=5+1=6.

Now, substitute n=3 and k=1 in the options provided to see which one yields 6. Only asnwer choice E fits: 2kn=2*3*1=6.

Answer: E.

Note that for plug-in method it might happen that for some particular number(s) more than one option may give "correct" answer. In this case just pick some other numbers and check again these "correct" options only.

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2012
Posts: 108
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 01:30
for different values of n and k.. the options are invalid.
_________________

Impossibility is a relative concept!!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2011
Posts: 87
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 11:26
Just use hypothetical numbers. Say n = 5 (1,3,5,7,9) and k = 3. This would mean that x = 21 and y = 9.
x+y = 30

Only answer E gives this result.
4 KUDOS received
SDA Bocconi Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 33
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2013, 10:03
4
This post received
KUDOS
In the given case, sum of all n odd numbers is n^2.

If the numbers are arranged in increasing order, the max sum is when k is taken from end. So the sum of k odd numbers taken from the end
= n^2 - (n-k)^2
(Sum of all numbers) - (Sum of remaining initial numbers)
which is equal to 2nk - k^2 -- (1)

Now for minimum sum, take k numbers from the starting and their sum is k^2 -- (2)

Adding (1) and (2) = 2nk.

DJ
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2013, 12:36
Let us name Zi the general term of the set Z.
z(i) = 2*i - 1 for i = 1 to n.
For instance z(1) = 2*1 - 1 = 1
z(2) = 2*2 - 1 = 3

z(n) = 2*n - 1

y is the sum of the first k terms of the set Z.
x is the sum of the terms from order (n-k+1) to n.

Let us express the sums x and y. Each of the sums contains k terms.
y = Sum (2*i - 1) for i = 1, ... k
x = Sum (2*j - 1) for j = (n-k+1), ,n

By developing y, we obtain
y = 2*Sum (i) - k for i=1,....k
y = 2*(1/2) [k*(k+1)]/2 - k = k^2 + k - k = k^2
(we can also remember that the sum of the first k odd numbers equals k^2).

By developing x, we obtain
x = 2*Sum (j) - k for j=n-k+1, n
We can notice that x is the difference of
- the sum of the first "n" odd numbers
- and the sum of the first (n-k) odd numbers.
We deduce
x = n^2 - (n-k)^2=2*n*k - k^2

Then x + y = 2*n*k - k^2 + k^2 = 2*n*k

The answer is E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 14:46
Bunuel wrote:
Smita04 wrote:
Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is a positive integer. Given that n > k, where k is also a positive integer, x is the maximum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, and y is the minimum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, what is x + y?

(A) kn
(B) kn + k^2
(C) kn + 2k^2
(D) 2kn – k^2
(E) 2kn


Probably the easiest way to solve this question would be to assume some values for n and k.

Say n=3, so Z, the set of the first n positive odd numbers would be: Z={1, 3, 5};
Say k=1, so X, the maximum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 5. Similarly, Y, the minimum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 1.

X+Y=5+1=6.

Now, substitute n=3 and k=1 in the options provided to see which one yields 6. Only asnwer choice E fits: 2kn=2*3*1=6.

Answer: E.

Note that for plug-in method it might happen that for some particular number(s) more than one option may give "correct" answer. In this case just pick some other numbers and check again these "correct" options only.

Hope it helps.



[quote="Bunuel"]
You mentioned that Say k=1, so X, the maximum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 5.

but for the example that you have used - Z={1, 3, 5} - shouldn't the maximum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z be = 1+3+5 = 9 ?

Please help were am I going wrong ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 12:18
Tanvi94 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Smita04 wrote:
Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is a positive integer. Given that n > k, where k is also a positive integer, x is the maximum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, and y is the minimum value of the sum of k distinct members of Z, what is x + y?

(A) kn
(B) kn + k^2
(C) kn + 2k^2
(D) 2kn – k^2
(E) 2kn


Probably the easiest way to solve this question would be to assume some values for n and k.

Say n=3, so Z, the set of the first n positive odd numbers would be: Z={1, 3, 5};
Say k=1, so X, the maximum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 5. Similarly, Y, the minimum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 1.

X+Y=5+1=6.

Now, substitute n=3 and k=1 in the options provided to see which one yields 6. Only asnwer choice E fits: 2kn=2*3*1=6.

Answer: E.

Note that for plug-in method it might happen that for some particular number(s) more than one option may give "correct" answer. In this case just pick some other numbers and check again these "correct" options only.

Hope it helps.



Bunuel wrote:
You mentioned that Say k=1, so X, the maximum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z would simply be 5.

but for the example that you have used - Z={1, 3, 5} - shouldn't the maximum value of the sum of K distinct members of Z be = 1+3+5 = 9 ?

Please help were am I going wrong ?


hi, He assumed K = One distinct member ; so max sum of One distinct member of Z going to be 5 and minimum is going to be 1.
Re: Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2018, 12:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Z is the set of the first n positive odd numbers, where n is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.