GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between:

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 122
(24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2017, 04:08
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:00) correct 38% (01:00) wrong based on 16 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

***Warning!!! This question is not correctly formatted***

(24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between:

A. 4 & 5
B. 5& 6
C. 6& 7
D. 7&8
E. 8&9

Proper version of this question is here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/1-2-1-2-lies ... 56267.html

Originally posted by AnkitK on 26 Jun 2011, 05:41.
Last edited by Bunuel on 08 Oct 2017, 04:08, edited 3 times in total.
Added the warning
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 531
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 06:23
AnkitK wrote:
(24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between:
A.4 & 5
B.5& 6
C.6& 7
D.7&8
E.8&9


is it (24+ 5* sqrt 23) + ( 24 - 5*sqrt 23)?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 531
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:37
I doubt the OA or question .. Absolutely no clue how to is it between 7 & 8
unless the question is
sqrt[ (24+5sqrt(23)) + sqrt(24-5sqrt(23)) ]
then u square the equation

= sqrt[24 + 5sqrt(23) + 2(576-575) + 24 - 5sqrt(23)]
= sqrt(50)
= 5 sqrt(2)
= 5*1.414 = >7 and <8
ur better dont tell me that this is the question :P

Originally posted by sudhir18n on 26 Jun 2011, 08:28.
Last edited by sudhir18n on 26 Jun 2011, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1900
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 08:37
\(24 + 5 \sqrt{23} + 24 - 5 \sqrt{23}=48\)
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1345
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 00:34
It's a more interesting question if it's a multiplication, though going by the answer choices, that's not what's intended. But if you're asked the value of:

\((24 + 5\sqrt{23})(24 - 5\sqrt{23})\)

there's quite a nice solution using the difference of squares pattern twice:

\((24 + 5\sqrt{23})(24 - 5\sqrt{23}) = 24^2 - (5^2)(23) = 24^2 - (25)(23) = 24^2 - (24+1)(24 - 1) = 24^2 - (24^2 - 1) = 1\)

As for the question in the original post, the expression is clearly equal to 48, so there must be some kind of mistake somewhere.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: ==GMAT Ninja==
Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 219
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 10:45
fluke wrote:
\(24 + 5 \sqrt{23} + 24 - 5 \sqrt{23}=48\)



you are right fluke
I was shcocked why someone would post such a question
i couldn't even move my pen........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
i wish my real gmat give this much easy questions..... :) :)
_________________

WarLocK
_____________________________________________________________________________
The War is oNNNNNNNNNNNNN for 720+
see my Test exp here http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-test-experience-111610.html
do not hesitate me giving kudos if you like my post. :)

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1900
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 11:01
1
Warlock007 wrote:
fluke wrote:
\(24 + 5 \sqrt{23} + 24 - 5 \sqrt{23}=48\)



you are right fluke
I was shcocked why someone would post such a question
i couldn't even move my pen........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
i wish my real gmat give this much easy questions..... :) :)


Amen!!! :thumbup:
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: ==GMAT Ninja==
Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 219
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 11:05
fluke wrote:
Warlock007 wrote:
fluke wrote:
\(24 + 5 \sqrt{23} + 24 - 5 \sqrt{23}=48\)



you are right fluke
I was shcocked why someone would post such a question
i couldn't even move my pen........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
i wish my real gmat give this much easy questions..... :) :)


Amen!!! :thumbup:


Dear Fluke if I get a 7XX score

your party is through man....... :beer :beer

just wish me lots of luck and hard work (that pays me off very well.........:P )
_________________

WarLocK
_____________________________________________________________________________
The War is oNNNNNNNNNNNNN for 720+
see my Test exp here http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-test-experience-111610.html
do not hesitate me giving kudos if you like my post. :)

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 531
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 11:11
Lets form a mutual 'good luck -wishing' society:)
All the very best dude!! .. I sincerely wish n pray that u get >7XX score
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: ==GMAT Ninja==
Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 219
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 11:29
sudhir18n wrote:
Lets form a mutual 'good luck -wishing' society:)
All the very best dude!! .. I sincerely wish n pray that u get >7XX score


Hey thanks a lot man

I wish i get the reason to throw a grand party to all you guys out there :beer :beer
_________________

WarLocK
_____________________________________________________________________________
The War is oNNNNNNNNNNNNN for 720+
see my Test exp here http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-test-experience-111610.html
do not hesitate me giving kudos if you like my post. :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 356
WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 10:12
1
Hey Fluke - if you dont mind me asking.
In order to make the forum more efficient - we should remove uncompleted questions like that. dont we? Its a waste of time to read this question and stare for 2 min - not sure what im doing wrong...

I would be happy to know what you guys think about that as well.

**AnkitK - Its not something personal towards you - its just that its wasting time for a lot of people.

thanks.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1900
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 10:29
144144 wrote:
Hey Fluke - if you dont mind me asking.
In order to make the forum more efficient - we should remove uncompleted questions like that. dont we? Its a waste of time to read this question and stare for 2 min - not sure what im doing wrong...

I would be happy to know what you guys think about that as well.

**AnkitK - Its not something personal towards you - its just that its wasting time for a lot of people.

thanks.


144144:
I can understand your frustration!!! Sometimes the author is also not sure whether the question indeed contains error. The error may be in the source itself.

But, we can try to attach a warning in questions like this after few responders confirm presence of error.

thanks for the suggestion!!!
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 356
WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 10:32
great solution. this is why you are the chosen one i guess... ;)

have a good day.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: ==GMAT Ninja==
Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 219
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 10:37
fluke wrote:
144144 wrote:
Hey Fluke - if you dont mind me asking.
In order to make the forum more efficient - we should remove uncompleted questions like that. dont we? Its a waste of time to read this question and stare for 2 min - not sure what im doing wrong...

I would be happy to know what you guys think about that as well.

**AnkitK - Its not something personal towards you - its just that its wasting time for a lot of people.

thanks.


144144:
I can understand your frustration!!! Sometimes the author is also not sure whether the question indeed contains error. The error may be in the source itself.

But, we can try to attach a warning in questions like this after few responders confirm presence of error.

thanks for the suggestion!!!


Great help fluke
that will save a lot of valuable time
as almost all of us come here for quality material which can enrich our knowledge of the subject.. :) :)
_________________

WarLocK
_____________________________________________________________________________
The War is oNNNNNNNNNNNNN for 720+
see my Test exp here http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-test-experience-111610.html
do not hesitate me giving kudos if you like my post. :)

SC Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 1759
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 12:53
AnkitK wrote:
***Warning!!! This question is not correctly formatted***

(24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between:

A. 4 & 5
B. 5& 6
C. 6& 7
D. 7&8
E. 8&9

Moderators, I ask respectfully while utterly bewildered:

WHAT is this question still doing here? See above posts, especially here

How does posting a warning help when the answer choices are not correct?

If this is a teachable moment, I just flunked.

Is there the equivalent of a shredder into which this question could go?
_________________

In the depths of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

-- Albert Camus, "Return to Tipasa"

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 46291
Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 04:07
1
genxer123 wrote:
AnkitK wrote:
***Warning!!! This question is not correctly formatted***

(24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between:

A. 4 & 5
B. 5& 6
C. 6& 7
D. 7&8
E. 8&9

Moderators, I ask respectfully while utterly bewildered:

WHAT is this question still doing here? See above posts, especially here

How does posting a warning help when the answer choices are not correct?

If this is a teachable moment, I just flunked.

Is there the equivalent of a shredder into which this question could go?


Thank you. You are right.

Proper version of this question is here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/1-2-1-2-lies ... 56267.html

LOCKING THE TOPIC.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: (24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between:   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 04:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

(24+5*(23)^1/2)+(24-5*(23)^1/2) lies between:

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.