GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2014, 10:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (02:15) correct 79% (02:21) wrong based on 220 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with assigned seating tickets for exactly 4 seats in a special section. The first person to arrive loses his ticket stub after entry but remembers the section and sits randomly in one of the 4 seats. After that, each person arrives and takes his or her assigned seat in the section if it is unoccupied, and one of the unoccupied seats at random otherwise. What is the probability that the last person to arrive gets to sit in his assigned seat?

A. 1/4
B. 3/8
C. 1/2
D. 5/8
E. 3/4

This problem came in veritas prep and i was stumped by this problem.
Would appreciate if someone is able to show how to solve this problem.

Kudos me if you like the question !!!!

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Probability and Combinatorics (700-800 Level)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 06:37
francoimps wrote:
4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with assigned seating tickets for exactly 4 seats in a special section. The first person to arrive loses his ticket stub after entry but remembers the section and sits randomly in one of the 4 seats. After that, each person arrives and takes his or her assigned seat in the section if it is unoccupied, and one of the unoccupied seats at random otherwise. What is the probability that the last person to arrive gets to sit in his assigned seat?

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 1/2
(D) 5/8
(E) 3/4

*Source Veritas Free Online Question Bank

I'm trying to use complementary probability but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

OA

Let us assume that there are a,b,c and d individuals. a is the first one to arrive at concert and d is the last one to arrive at concert.
If a sits on his assigned seat, then b and c will also occupy their assigned seats and d will get to sit on his assigned seat.
Probability of a occupying his assigned seat=1/4

If a doesn't occupy his assigned seat, then b will have to occupy seat of either a or c and c will have to occupy the seat that is not assigned to d from the remaining two.
Probability of happening this event=3/4*2/3*1/2=1/4

Total probability=1/4+1/4=1/2

Ans=C
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.55
Probability and Combinatorics (700-800 Level)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 05:48

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 1/2
(D) 5/8
(E) 3/4

I'm trying to use complementary probability but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: 4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 08:02
@desaichinmay22, great answer..

I was trying hard, but the point I missed was if A by chance sat in his own place, then B and C will also sit in their own places, thus leaving D to sit in his own place.. the randomness comes only when A does not sit in his place.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2014, 21:24
Can one of the moderators explain this in more detail?
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 16:33
According to me, the probability of a, b, c or d occupying their assigned seats is 1/2. (because they can either occupy seats assigned to them, or one of the non-assigned seats). So, probability of D occupying assigned seat is 1/2 (for that matter, probability of any one occupying his or her assigned seats is 1/2).
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 20:10
This difficult probability question requires that you consider each of 4 possible scenarios. For purposes of illustration let's assign people letters and seats numbers and say that A is assigned 1, B is assigned 2, C is assigned 3, and D is assigned 4. Let's break it down into 4 equal buckets of 25% each determined by which seat A picks.

A PICKS 1:

There is a 100% probability that D gets the right seat if Person A picks 1, so this represents overall a 25% favorable probability (1 of the 4 possibilities of the seat A could pick)

A PICKS 2:

If B picks 1, C picks 3, then D gets correct seat.

If B picks 3 and C picks 1, then D gets correct seat.

If B picks 3 and C picks 4, then D gets wrong seat

If B picks 4, C gets 3, then D gets wrong seat

Overall, 2/4 possibilities are favorable so take ½ of 25% (overall 12.5% favorable probability)

A PICKS 3:

B gets 2 and C picks 1, then D gets correct seat.

B gets 2 and C picks 4, then D gets wrong seat.

Overall, ½ possibilities are favorable so take ½ of 25% (12.5% favorable probability)

A PICKS 4:

100% probability that D gets wrong seat (0% favorable probability)

Add all of these up and you will see that the probability of D getting the correct seat is 50%. Correct answer is (C).
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2014, 02:46
desaichinmay22 wrote:
francoimps wrote:

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 1/2
(D) 5/8
(E) 3/4

OA

Let us assume that there are a,b,c and d individuals. a is the first one to arrive at concert and d is the last one to arrive at concert.
If a sits on his assigned seat, then b and c will also occupy their assigned seats and d will get to sit on his assigned seat.

If a doesn't occupy his assigned seat, then b will have to occupy seat of either a or c and c will have to occupy the seat that is not assigned to d from the remaining two.

Ans=C

Not clear on a few of your assumptions highlighted above. If a sits on correct seat , b and c could sit on each other's seat i.e. incorrect seat. However then d will sit on correct seat. Alternatively b and c could also sit on correct seats thereby all four sitting on correct seats.

So for basically d to be sitting in correct seat below are the combinations possible
a) all four correct seats
b) two correct and two incorrect seats.
Intern
Intern
WE: Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2014, 19:38
desaichinmay22 wrote:
francoimps wrote:

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 1/2
(D) 5/8
(E) 3/4

OA

Ans=C

Can someone explain why the probability of A not selecting his assigned seat will be 3/4 when we want to ensure D gets to sit on his assigned seat? I am thinking 3/4 should be when A can select any of the 3 seats, besides the one he is assigned to. This includes the possibility that A CAN select D's seat as well. However, we are looking for cases where D gets to sit on his assigned seat so shouldn't second scenario be when A selects either B or C's seat (2/4); AND B selects either of the 2 remaining besides D (2/3); AND C selects the remaining seat besides D (1/2)

Which should lead to -> 2/4*2/3*1/2

Final answer 1/4 + 1/6 = 5/12?

where am I going wrong?

Thanks.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 05:34
Seems like the scenarios are simple enough to do a decision tree:

Add the following scenarios where the last person gets the correct seat:

The probability that the first person took the correct seat: 1/4

The probability that the first person took the seat of the 3rd person to arrive, the 2nd person takes their own seat, and the 3rd person takes the seat of the first person: 1/4*1/1*1/2=1/8

The probability that the first person took the seat of the 2nd person, the 2nd person takes the seat of the first person, and the 3rd person takes his correct seat: 1/4*1/3*1/1=1/12

The probability that the first person took the seat of the 2nd person, the 2nd person takes the seat of the 3rd person, and the 3rd person takes the seat of the first person: 1/4*1/3*1/2=1/24

1/4+1/8+1/12+1/24=6/24+3/24+2/24+1/24=12/24 or 1/2
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 23:06
akhil911 wrote:

A. 1/4
B. 3/8
C. 1/2
D. 5/8
E. 3/4

This problem came in veritas prep and i was stumped by this problem.
Would appreciate if someone is able to show how to solve this problem.

Kudos me if you like the question !!!!

You can also use the process of elimination in this question.

Say there are four people P1, P2, P3 and P4 depending on who arrives first, second etc. They have their assigned seats S1, S2, S3 and S4.

The probability of P1 occupying S1 is 1/4 - in this case P4 will get S4 (Probability 1/4)

The probability of P1 occupying S4 is 1/4 - in this case P4 will not get S4 (Probability 1/4)

The probability of P1 occupying S3 is 1/4 - in this case P3 will take either S1 or S4, both with probability 1/2.
So there is 1/8 probability that P4 will get S4 and 1/8 probability that P4 will not get S4.

Note that 1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8 and you have the case leftover where P1 takes S2.
So the probability of P4 getting S4 will be more than 3/8 and less than 5/8.

The only answer is 1/2

Answer (C)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 03:45
I found it fairly easy to just go with the bruteforce method of calculating the cases. Logic seems to be very strict so the amount of cases wasn't even that big (8 total), and as it so happened only 4 of those 8 turned out to be "good", thus 1/2.
Say seats are labeled as 1 2 3 4 and so are people, here are cases
1 2 3 4
---------
1)1 2 3 4 -good
2)2 1 3 4 - good
2)3 1 2 4 - good
4)4 1 2 3 - bad
5)4 1 3 2 - bad
6)3 2 1 4 - good
7)4 2 1 3 - bad
8)4 2 3 1 - bad

4 "good" out of 8, 1/2
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 05:19
Zhenek wrote:
I found it fairly easy to just go with the bruteforce method of calculating the cases. Logic seems to be very strict so the amount of cases wasn't even that big (8 total), and as it so happened only 4 of those 8 turned out to be "good", thus 1/2.
Say seats are labeled as 1 2 3 4 and so are people, here are cases
1 2 3 4
---------
1)1 2 3 4 -good
2)2 1 3 4 - good
2)3 1 2 4 - good
4)4 1 2 3 - bad
5)4 1 3 2 - bad
6)3 2 1 4 - good
7)4 2 1 3 - bad
8)4 2 3 1 - bad

4 "good" out of 8, 1/2

You missed some cases:

2 3 4 1
or
2 3 1 4
or
2 4 3 1
etc

Also, 3 1 2 4 (your number 3 case above) is not a possible case. There may be others. I am not checking all.

Focus on - "each person arrives and takes his or her assigned seat in the section if it is unoccupied, and one of the unoccupied seats at random otherwise."

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 05:24
I thought that they arrived one after another in a set in stone sequence (we can sort of assume so), as in 1 - arrives first, 2 - arrives second, 3 - arrives third, 4 - arrives last (fourth). So a case of 2 3 4 1 can't happen coz if first guy arrives and takes 4th spot, the 2nd guy will take his spot (spot #2) coz its free.

Going by my logic for case 3 1 2 4: first guy takes 2nd spot, 2nd guy has to take random spot (he takes 3rd), 3rd guy has to take random spot (he takes first), 4th guy takes his spot (lucky him!?)
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 05:50
Zhenek wrote:
I thought that they arrived one after another in a set in stone sequence (we can sort of assume so), as in 1 - arrives first, 2 - arrives second, 3 - arrives third, 4 - arrives last (fourth). So a case of 2 3 4 1 can't happen coz if first guy arrives and takes 4th spot, the 2nd guy will take his spot (spot #2) coz its free.

Going by my logic for case 3 1 2 4: first guy takes 2nd spot, 2nd guy has to take random spot (he takes 3rd), 3rd guy has to take random spot (he takes first), 4th guy takes his spot (lucky him!?)

Ok, so you are considering the sequence of writing the numbers as the sequence of seats. Yes, in that case, it certainly looks correct.

Karishma

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 22:06
1/2(1st person to sit correct or incorrect) * 1/2(2nd person to sit correct or incorrect) * 1/2(3rd person to sit correct or incorrect ) * 1 (Last person is definitely Correct )* 4( four Distinct people possible to come last) .

I don't think my approach is right.
Experts correct me if my logic is wrong.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 04:59
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with &nbs [#permalink] 19 Sep 2018, 04:59

4 individuals arrive separately at an orchestra concert with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap