GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

5 Things I Learned Taking The New GMAT!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 5 Things I Learned Taking The New GMAT!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 20:14
souvik101990 - Thanks for sharing your experience.

The new change in GMAT structure totally altered my plan. I was planning to score high on CR/SC and RC was always my weak area. Now my weak area needs to be made my strong area in order to score high in verbal.

One way to think of this is to consider that GMAC challenges us to face our nemesis[RC] head on and thus making us ready for our MBA and post MBA corporate life.

Regards
Raghu

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 11:42
Thanks for the post. Quite strange to hear that % of SC questions has dropped.
Thank God .. My GMAT is done. I can never handle those 15 -16 RC questions

23 Kudos left to unlock next level. Help me by Contributing one for cause :) .. Please

My failed GMAT experience ... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-bad-experience-640-need-suggestions-on-verbal-improvement-251308.html

My review on EmpowerGMAT : https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/empowergmat-online-course-345355767

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 16:24
Hey Souvik,
Can you please also share the percentile break up of each sub category(SC,RC,CR) of the verbal section as shown on the old esr? A bit concerned because I read somewhere the NEW Esr do not provide topic wise percentile Break up for verbal and quant.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 15:19
Thanks for sharing your personal experience and providing us with the data points, souvik101990. Would you share the difficulty level progression and the sub-section percentile tables as well? I'm going to see if I can also put together a percentile table for each sub-section for the new and old formats.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
5 Things I Learned Taking The New GMAT!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 17:20
Top Contributor
HiLine wrote:
Thanks for sharing your personal experience and providing us with the data points, souvik101990. Would you share the difficulty level progression and the sub-section percentile tables as well? I'm going to see if I can also put together a percentile table for each sub-section for the new and old formats.

There's no need to do that--the percentile conversions for the new GMAT (Quant, Verbal, AWA, IR, Composite) are currently exactly the same as the percentiles for the old GMAT, since composite and section percentile scores are based on data from the last 3 years, which GMAC compiles (and then releases) annually in July.

In other words, the percentiles won't change at all for another couple of months, until a new set of data is collected and released by GMAC.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 09:39
All,

I have been dropping emails to get my new activation code for EP1 since last 10 days but there is no response from the GMAC.
I received only one email from them with the request number stating that the team is looking into it .

Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 09:51
prerakgoel03 wrote:
All,

I have been dropping emails to get my new activation code for EP1 since last 10 days but there is no response from the GMAC.
I received only one email from them with the request number stating that the team is looking into it .

Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hey prerakgoel03 ,

Please call their customer care. I am sure they must have raised the incident number but considering so many requests they must be receiving, it will take some time for them to meet all the requests. Talk to the customer care.

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 01:48
mcelroytutoring wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
The Q50 is a fluke.

What do you mean by "a fluke"? I disagree--give yourself some credit! :-) Scoring Q50/51 (currently 86% but formerly 97%) 3 times in a row is very impressive. If you scored a Q50, then you deserved a Q50, no matter how many questions you answered incorrectly.

The only difference between a Q50 with 4 wrong and a Q50 with 2 wrong is most likely that the first Q50 was served tougher questions overall.

Yes, there is such a thing as a "high" Q50 and a "low" Q50, which tends to have an effect on the composite score conversion, and explains how the exact same subscores in Quant and Verbal can yield different composite scores. However, remember that the adcoms at Business Schools don't have access to the level of data that we can see on the ESRs. As far as they know, all Q50s are equal--though one could argue that the composite score conversion does provide a clue in this regard.

-Brian

I echo the same. Enjoyed the conversation/discussion on this post, contributed by all master of GMAT.
Thanks a ton to all of you.

The Graceful

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 02:44
mcelroytutoring wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
mcelroytutoring - i think i made 4 mistakes in verbal last time - but yeah UGH on this one.

Hi souvik101990, Here's how I concluded 5 wrong on the V42:

1st quarter = 1 wrong = 7/8 = 88%
2nd quarter = 1 wrong = 6/7 = 86%
3rd quarter = 1 wrong = 6/7 = 86%
4th quarter = 2 wrong = 6/8 = 75%

-Brian

Hi Brian
With due respect to your and Saumik's mastery/expertise in GMAT, I humbly would like to check the possibility of the combinations of correct/incorrect answers.

Can't it be the I have highlighted below the ones you have mentioned.?

1st quarter = 1 wrong = 7/8 = 88%
1st quarter = 1 wrong = 8/9 = 88%

2nd quarter = 1 wrong = 6/7 = 86%
2nd quarter = 2 wrong = 7/9 = 86%
3rd quarter = 1 wrong = 6/7 = 86%
3rd quarter = 2 wrong = 7/9 = 86%

4th quarter = 2 wrong = 6/8 = 75%
4th quarter = 3 wrong = 6/9 = 75%
------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 36 = 9 wrong = 28/36=75% Correct

I know/assume that GMAT won't let it easily know about the percentage/percentile calculation or scoring in all. Just curious to know all of your expert opinion. Soumik,BB,Abhimanha,Chetan2u and all can provide inputs.

Thanks
The Graceful

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 5 Things I Learned Taking The New GMAT! &nbs [#permalink] 26 Aug 2018, 02:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

5 Things I Learned Taking The New GMAT!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap