It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 score - thank you - 10+ work ex - Suggest next steps please

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Other)
570 score - thank you - 10+ work ex - Suggest next steps please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 04:57
[sorry for a bit longish subject; this is what came to my mind few hours after taking GMAT ;) ]

Hello GMAT members and experts here!

First of all - thank you for a great GMAT community and a great platform. During last 2 months, I extensively used the forum and found it very useful. :thumbup:

I took GMAT today. I wish to share my exam experience and wish to get your suggestions on the next steps.

Score: Q42, V27 = 570; it is lower than the score in the mock test I took.

-Went ahead with default format(AWA-IR-Q-V) with an intention to get warmed up for main sections. - Perhaps, it was not the best decision. :suspect

-Secondly, during Verbal, the last section of all 4 sections, after 20 questions, I started feeling dizzy- exhausted. :sleep:

-Exam center in Pune also had serious issues with the Internet. All the computers had to be restarted 3 times. :x

Next step?
I would really appreciate your suggestion on the next steps:

A bit about myself before I ask you for an advice:

I have around 11 years of experience and currently work in India for an US-based software product company. The role is in pre-sales- so a lot of travel- doing technical demonstrations, PoCs - in the area of Data Science. I have been an individual contributor all these years.

On education - Bachelor of engineering - Mechanical + MS - Mechatronics - Germany and have also worked in Germany.

Age 35 :-)

Since last 10 months, I have been thinking of doing a 1 year MBA with a goal of:

- learning building blocks of starting a business and so was looking for a course in entrepreneurship.
- improve my interpersonal skills
- ofcourse, goes without saying, making connections

I guess, 570 leads nowhere and Executive MBA is the way to go ahead.(considering age). Is this correct understanding. If yes any suggestions on the good executive programs.
I would like to get your suggestions/guidance on the next steps.

Many thanks in advance.

-Amit

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 265

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 570 score - thank you - 10+ work ex - Suggest next steps please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 08:29
AmsDoshi

Do you plan to give GMAT again? Do you require advise on best prospects with your current score?

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 265

D

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 570 score - thank you - 10+ work ex - Suggest next steps please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 08:31
AmsDoshi wrote:
If yes any suggestions on the good executive programs.
I would like to get your suggestions/guidance on the next steps.

Many thanks in advance.

-Amit

Hi AmsDoshi,
Here is the list of one year MBA programs available:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one- ... 22103.html

Experts might suggest more on your profile. you might add more about your career goals and profile and post at profile review

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 09:35
Hello experts!! Many thanks for your responses.

I am sorry, but, since, two days after the exam, I kind of feel back to square one. I have been repeatedly asking myself - "Retaking GMAT, the application process, and MBA - is it worth the time, money and efforts, especially given the following parameters"?
1. I am 35 yrs already - (when I start will be 36)
2. Have a child (less than a year old)
3. I am the only earning member of my family

This noon, I jotted down my thoughts as below. I am looking for an advice to decide next steps. Perhaps, success stories of students who had a similar profile as mine.

Why did(do) I even dare to think of doing an MBA at this age?

It occurred to me about 8 months back, when I observed MBA as commonality among many successful business leaders during my meetings or while on business travel.

So, three reasons - Why MBA:
1. There is gap between my current job profile and what I want (details below)
1. My current job
a. - in once phrase 'Having It All, but Really Wanting Something Else'
i. Gives me good money, a lot of flexibility
ii. From the domain side, I focus on Data Science - everyone is just talking about it; so I should, ideally, feel 100% satisfied. there is a BUT
b. Then what's the problem?
i. I won't call it a problem, though, I have been an individual contributor all these years.
ii. My organization is horizontal, that means, not much chance of growing in the organization
2. My DREAM/ GOAL: In down the line 5-7 years:
i. I wish to be the country head of a technology company OR
ii. Start my own business

2. Rediscover myself
My current strengths:
1. Determination, Hard work
2. Academically strong + international experience
3. Speak German and already have Master's degree
Where do I lack or need further help?
1. No managerial experience (for the above-mentioned reasons)
2. Fine tuning my soft skills - critical thinking, Storytelling skills (even though, I do public presentations as my job)

3. I strongly believe that a professional management degree can help me fill the gap

I am pretty sure that members here will have an advice. Is there someone who has gone through this phase?

Really appreciate your guidance.

-Amit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 22:07
Hi AmsDoshi,

At your score and age, it’ll be difficult for you to make it to a reputed FT program. I would say even with a high score, it’ll be challenging.

An Executive MBA is unlikely to change your industry, if you’re looking at that. Moreover, an international program may require fair bit of travel as well.

Maybe there is an intermediate path to becoming country head of a tech company, if not through your current role. As far as entrepreneurial goal is concerned, there isn’t much correlation between MBA education and outcome of your venture, and these days there are plethora of entrepreneurial resources available outside the formal education system.

Last, an MBA is an expensive way to rediscover yourself. You can do it for free… starting today.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 54

570 score - thank you - 10+ work ex - Suggest next steps please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 00:30
AmsDoshi wrote:
Hello experts!! Many thanks for your responses.

I am sorry, but, since, two days after the exam, I kind of feel back to square one. I have been repeatedly asking myself - "Retaking GMAT, the application process, and MBA - is it worth the time, money and efforts, especially given the following parameters"?
1. I am 35 yrs already - (when I start will be 36)
2. Have a child (less than a year old)
3. I am the only earning member of my family

This noon, I jotted down my thoughts as below. I am looking for an advice to decide next steps. Perhaps, success stories of students who had a similar profile as mine.

Why did(do) I even dare to think of doing an MBA at this age?

It occurred to me about 8 months back, when I observed MBA as commonality among many successful business leaders during my meetings or while on business travel.

So, three reasons - Why MBA:
1. There is gap between my current job profile and what I want (details below)
1. My current job
a. - in once phrase 'Having It All, but Really Wanting Something Else'
i. Gives me good money, a lot of flexibility
ii. From the domain side, I focus on Data Science - everyone is just talking about it; so I should, ideally, feel 100% satisfied. there is a BUT
b. Then what's the problem?
i. I won't call it a problem, though, I have been an individual contributor all these years.
ii. My organization is horizontal, that means, not much chance of growing in the organization
2. My DREAM/ GOAL: In down the line 5-7 years:
i. I wish to be the country head of a technology company OR
ii. Start my own business

2. Rediscover myself
My current strengths:
1. Determination, Hard work
2. Academically strong + international experience
3. Speak German and already have Master's degree
Where do I lack or need further help?
1. No managerial experience (for the above-mentioned reasons)
2. Fine tuning my soft skills - critical thinking, Storytelling skills (even though, I do public presentations as my job)

3. I strongly believe that a professional management degree can help me fill the gap

I am pretty sure that members here will have an advice. Is there someone who has gone through this phase?

Really appreciate your guidance.

-Amit

Hi Amit,

I can understand your pain points. Many applicants who I talk to, at the same age/ work exp. bracket as you, have the same MBA/versus why MBA challenges as you. So, first of all, feel better that you are not alone in this.

Now a couple of challenges: 1. your GMAT score is rea....lly low. Only the lower ranked colleges will readily accept this score, and in my opinion, it would not be beneficial for you to go there, given that you will hardly get any brand name / quality network. That's not advisable when you are doing an MBA at this stage in your career and have a higher opportunity cost. Secondly, b-schools look for leadership experience. As an individual contributor, I'd guess you do not get sufficient chances to lead teams, which will not be viewed favorably by b-schools.

Now, coming to your goals: You have mentioned that the chances to grow within your team are limited. How about looking out for another job? That could allow you to lead teams, a skill you will need as a CXO. Secondly, if you are plateauing in your present job, then a job shift will give you the career boost you are probably expecting from an MBA. Thirdly, starting up is never easy, with or without the MBA. Just the loan burden after the MBA may not make it feasible for you to start up.

Having said this, I will not discourage you from the MBA - I strongly believe it should not become a regret later in your life to not have studied when you could. In terms of programs, you could apply to IIMA PGPX next year. There are also the SLoan Fellowship programs at LBS, MIT and Stanford. For these, you should retake the GMAT.

There is another program - Nanyang Fellowship- the good thing is, it requires an easier TOEFL/ IELTS score only, not GMAT. Infact, their application is under way for 2018 intake, so you could apply. also submit your CV for an evaluation to Nanyang (http://www.nbs.ntu.edu.sg/Programmes/Gr ... fault.aspx). ofcourse, take our help to create an impressive one page resume ;)

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 54

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 09:54
99Colleges wrote:
Hi AmsDoshi,

At your score and age, it’ll be difficult for you to make it to a reputed FT program. I would say even with a high score, it’ll be challenging.

An Executive MBA is unlikely to change your industry, if you’re looking at that. Moreover, an international program may require fair bit of travel as well.

Maybe there is an intermediate path to becoming country head of a tech company, if not through your current role. As far as entrepreneurial goal is concerned, there isn’t much correlation between MBA education and outcome of your venture, and these days there are plethora of entrepreneurial resources available outside the formal education system.

Last, an MBA is an expensive way to rediscover yourself. You can do it for free… starting today.

Hi Anil,

Many thanks for taking out time in replying to my question. Many things are slowly getting clear and your reply indeed has helped in deciding next steps.

Once again thanks a ton!

-Amit

Re: 570 score - thank you - 10+ work ex - Suggest next steps please   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2017, 09:54

570 score - thank you - 10+ work ex - Suggest next steps please

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap