GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

610 to 650 to...730+? Seeking Verbal Advice!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
610 to 650 to...730+? Seeking Verbal Advice!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 09:23
Hi GMAT Club!

I will try to keep this brief. I appreciate any advice and tips you may have. TLDR - verbal score is stagnating in the low 30s, need to raise it to 40+, how?!

Background:
    - Started my GMAT journey with Manhattan Prep 10-week course in Summer 2017
    - 1st GMAT in Sept 2017 - 610 (Q42, V32)
    - 2nd GMAT in July 2018 - 650 (Q48, V31)
    - 3rd GMAT planned for late Sept/early Oct - Target score of 730+
    - Taken multiple GMATprep and MGMAT CAT tests and it highlights that my verbal level is in the low 30s
    - Focused my latest prep solely on verbal (all three parts)
    - Had private tutoring sessions on CR

Tools Utilized:
    - OG 2017 (recent prep has been solely focused on working through questions and analyzing them)
    - Manhattan Prep books (not so much lately)

Other Notes:
    - 3rd GMAT planned for late Sept/early Oct - Target score of 730+
    - 4th GMAT can be planned for 16 days after the 3rd GMAT
    - Taken CATs/practice tests with Q first then V (usually did not complete IR/AWA)
    - CATs/practice tests taken in one sitting

I noticed it's easier to improve my overall score by improving on my verbal score, so I have been focusing on verbal. I feel like I have hit a wall in terms of improving my verbal and can seem to break past the low 30s. I cannot post my ESRs, but would appreciate if anyone can analyze them!

Thanks in advance!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 610 to 650 to...730+? Seeking Verbal Advice!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 09:29
I can highly advice to follow the user GMATNinja on this forum, his is the verbal guru.

Furthermore, there are some verbal videos from said member on the Gmatclub youtube chanel, those videos helped me alot in increasing my understanding of the verbal section.

Last but not least, I tried to collect some of the things I came accross in a small thread:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strat ... l#p2082192

All the best for your prep,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 12:42
Hi YNWA,

While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). Since you're new to GMATClub, you won't be able to post it just yet, but if you email it to me, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Beyond that data, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Since you last took the GMAT, how have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Your next planned Test Date will be some time in the next 2-3 weeks. Do you have the flexibility to push back that Test Date if needed?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 16:06
Arro44 wrote:
I can highly advice to follow the user GMATNinja on this forum, his is the verbal guru.

Furthermore, there are some verbal videos from said member on the Gmatclub youtube chanel, those videos helped me alot in increasing my understanding of the verbal section.

Last but not least, I tried to collect some of the things I came accross in a small thread:
[link]

All the best for your prep,
Chris

Thanks, Chris! I will look through the material. (I have already watched on youtube video and it was very helpful!)

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi YNWA,

While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). Since you're new to GMATClub, you won't be able to post it just yet, but if you email it to me, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Beyond that data, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Since you last took the GMAT, how have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Your next planned Test Date will be some time in the next 2-3 weeks. Do you have the flexibility to push back that Test Date if needed?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks Rich for your response. I have sent you my ESRs to your email. Please see below for my answers.

- 8/4, MGMAT CAT 660 (Q44, V36)
    - 8/19, Official MBA 620 (Q44, V32)
    - 9/8, Official MBA (reset) 680 (Q46, V37)

- I do. This answers your next question too, I plan on applying in R2. The plan is to finish up the GMAT in early October and start working on apps in October. Taking into consideration GMAT's 16 day rule, I am planning to schedule two GMATs.

- R2 deadlines in early Jan 2019.

- The schools I am targeting include: Haas, Booth, Sloan, Kellogg, Anderson, and Yale SOM
    - Given the schools I am targeting, my goal is 730+
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 23:34
Hi YNWA,

What you are experiencing in Verbal is 'Score Plateau'. To learn more about this and how to overcome it, I recommend that you watch recording of a recent Strategy Session conducted by e-GMAT Founder, Rajat Sadana. You may skip to 1:30:00 if you want to learn only about Score Plateau.

To analyze the ESR you can follow the 3steps mentioned in this article on ESR Analysis. If you need any further help on it, write to us at support@e-gmat.com.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 610 to 650 to...730+? Seeking Verbal Advice! &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 23:34

610 to 650 to...730+? Seeking Verbal Advice!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap