It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

630 to 730 with 3 weeks prep!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V45
GPA: 2.74
Reviews Badge
630 to 730 with 3 weeks prep! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys, I took my GMAT on Nov 7 and scored a 730 (45 V 44 Q), my first practice test in October I scored a 630. I took about 3-4 weeks of studying an hour or so during the weekdays and doing a practice test on the weekends.

The main tool I used to study was Empowergmat. I was pretty strong in the verbal from the beginning, but they still taught me a few great tricks that helped me get into the 99th percentile. I was able to learn these tricks really fast, every lesson had a new little trick that helped me score big.

For the Quant, I was pretty horrible when I first started. Within the first week of studying on Empower my quant score improved a lot, and I got a 690 on my next practice test. Seriously, at first I thought I would just use the OG books and do a bunch of practice problems, but I'm so glad I found Empower. It's so much cheaper than most of the other services ($99 a month for unlimited access to all of the study materials on all subjects), and they taught me tricks that could be applied to most quant problems. I don't think my score would have increased so fast if it weren't for the lessons. And I only paid for one month, so it was only $99. They also have a 70 point increase guarantee, where if you study with them a lot and your score doesn't increase 70 points, you can get some/all of your money back. Obviously I didn't get to use that but it's a nice offer!

By the time I took my official test, I had taken 3 full practice tests. I would definitely recommend taking multiple practice tests and acting like it is the actual test. For me, when I am studying normally I have water, get up to go to the bathroom, take breaks when I need to, but in the actual test you won't be able to do any of that. It's good to do full length practice tests with as many real test conditions as you can arrange (quiet, no breaks apart from the "allowed" ones, no water, etc). It helps increase your mental stamina and gets you more used to testing conditions.

On the day of the test, I showed up about half an hour early. I'm glad I did because my particular test center was pretty hard to find. I'm sure not all of them are like this, but there were no signs or anything and I had to find it inside this college I'd never been to before. So definitely get there early! Also, bring water and a snack. If you're like me, you will get thirsty in the ~4 hours you are in there, and having a snack during the breaks helps keep your energy up. Finally, I'd also recommend staying active before the test and during your breaks. Stretching and doing some jumping jacks felt a little silly, but it got my blood moving and refreshed me for the next section. It's a nerve-wracking experience, so again, practice the official test conditions as much as you can beforehand.

Last edited by hluedtke27 on 15 Nov 2017, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

EMPOWERgmat Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3698 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 630 to 730 with 3 weeks prep! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 14:23
Hi hluedtke27,

That's OUTSTANDING news! Improving 100 points in just one month is a significant achievement, so you clearly have the capacity to think critically and learn new skills - both of attributes will serve you well in Business School and beyond.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 261 [2], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hello hluedtke27 - First of all congratulations on the great score!

Also, considering this is a debrief and not a review of any particular course it would be great if you can add some more details such as:

- Strategies you followed for SC, CR and RC
- How many mocs did you appear for?
- Test day experience
- Time Management
- Any other generic advise that you have

This will help users from this community to benefit more. Hope to hear from you soon.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 261 [2], given: 199

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V45
GPA: 2.74
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 12:34
Hi Rich,

Thank you! And thanks for all your help!

1) I'm planning on applying this winter, to start in the Spring or Summer hopefully.
2) I am thinking of Syracuse, Johns Hopkins, Indiana U, Penn State, and University of Wisconsin. I am planning on doing a part-time online MBA so I can continue working full time. There are plenty of other programs to choose from of course, these are just ones that I hoped are in my reach, especially considering my rather low undergrad GPA.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 13:01
Hi hluedtke27,

Your 730 will certainly help to strengthen your application at all of these Schools (and it might open up some Scholarship possibilities - if that's something that you're looking for). It's important to remember that each application has a number of 'pieces' to it - and you can make your overall application even stronger with some well-written essays and a strong interview (when an interview is requested/offered). If you take to your applications with the same way you took to your GMAT studies, then I suspect that all of this will turn out well (and you'll have your choice from a number of different Schools).

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: 630 to 730 with 3 weeks prep!   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2017, 13:01

630 to 730 with 3 weeks prep!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap