GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

7 Things to do when in your first year at business school

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
7 Things to do when in your first year at business school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 09:36

Hi everyone. I am writing this post from the Winter Garden (see the picture above - how cool is that!?)at the new Ross building. Ann Arbor is getting colder every day and I am dreading my lack of experience of harsh winters. The happy hours on Thursdays help and so does the ecosystem of having people feeling similar emotions around me. I asked two of my MBA2 friends about what they recommend that I do in the first year of school and decided that it would probably help everyone around here.

They are also in-school entrepreneurs. BschoolTravel will also conduct a chat and a youtube live session soon with us so stay tuned. Find out more about them HERE

7. Build relationships with second year students

The amount of knowledge and resources that second year students have is invaluable for incoming students. Whether it's knowing which courses to take or how to prepare for specific interviews during recruiting, second year students have already experience it all. Some MBA programs offer more formal processes to meet Y2 students, while other programs are a bit more informal. Regardless, make sure you make the effort to meet them, as it will pay dividends in the long run.

6. Leverage your professors

Getting to know your professors often gets lost during the hustle and bustle of your first year. However, Professors can be an invaluable resource outside of the classroom. They have several connections to the professional world and are an incredible free resource for student entrepreneurs to tap in to. The little effort it requires to set up a coffee chat can go a long way with your professors.

5. Flexibility is key

Let's face it - you're going to be busy during your first year. Between classes, recruiting, and social life, you must prioritize and make a lot of sacrifices. However, the key is being flexible. Things change in an instance and that corporate presentation you were planning on going to may no longer seem all that important. Just make sure you aren't glued to your schedule and are open to breaking it sometimes, even if it's for a spur of the moment drink with classmates.

4. Travel

Some of the best advice I got when entering my MBA was to travel. There will likely be no other time in your life when you have the time and friends to travel with than during your MBA. The money may be concerning in the short-term, but trust me you'll be okay after getting that signing bonus! Not to mention, travel usually helps you see new perspectives as a business leader.

3. Off campus recruiting is real

Many students get caught up in the sexiness of on-campus recruiting and how to strategically place their bid points. But what students forget is that there are an endless number of companies that don't recruit on campus but are still looking for MBAs. And to be quite honest, I found several of these positions more interesting than the cookie-cutter roles through on-campus recruiting. Don't be afraid to do a little exploring and tap into your own network during you recruiting cycle.

2. Meet people outside your cohort

One of the biggest value-adds of an MBA is the network you gain. And while it's easy to become comfortable with your friends and classmates within your cohort or section, you'll end up limiting your network. Make sure to try to meet people outside of your section. Also, make sure to make friends with those that you normally wouldn't. More times than not they will help you see new perspectives, making you a better future business leader.

1. Have Fun

Most importantly, make sure you have fun! Too many times I've seen students isolate themselves because of their recruiting or academic concerns. Everyone should remember how unique of an opportunity this really is and should take advantage of it. Don't be afraid to balance your hard work with some good drinks with good company!

Feel free to ask questions. Dale from BschoolTravel will stick around the thread to answer questions and share more about his first year at Ross and maybe his experience with entrepreneurship even!

Attachment:
Ross_Winter-Garden-174-1-copy-1030x701.jpg
Ross_Winter-Garden-174-1-copy-1030x701.jpg [ 182.95 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Re: 7 Things to do when in your first year at business school  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 02:00
only what you can do is learn more, focus in studies and enjoy more in college.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 22:01
Nice to see this kind of article. Very Informative and professional. We have a website Fluke Bangladesh. In this website i always try to give knowledge for our client.like as digital multimeter, clamp meter, thermal imagers, vibration meter, etc. In future i also open a on line school. Pray for me dear.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 01:32
This article is interesting. It describes college life in a way so that we can spend our college life in the best way.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 7 Things to do when in your first year at business school &nbs [#permalink] 14 Dec 2018, 01:32

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap