It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

750 (Q 49, V 42), IR -8, AWA - 6, GMAT Debrief (October 21, 2017)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [4], given: 5

750 (Q 49, V 42), IR -8, AWA - 6, GMAT Debrief (October 21, 2017) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First, a huge thank you to this community and all the great posts. I learned so much here, in ways I can't even begin to list.

I started with a first practice exam from Veritas Prep on August 9 (640, 39, 39).

I took (and paid for) every practice exam I could find that seemed decent. Against the advice to save the official GMAT's till the end, I took the first two early in the process, since they are real questions. I felt taking them early would best serve my learning. I also found the additional gmat prep exam packs well worth it. I took practice exam 5 on October 3 and scored 770 on that.

Anytime I felt a company's questions were not representative or typical, I moved quickly to other vendors. I found the following most useful: official gmat tests, veritas prep, manhattan prep, gmat club (for analytical only, I think the verbal items are awful).

A week before the exam, I decided to change my strategy wrt the Analytical Writing section: instead of using a template, I reviewed every topic and answer provided here: http://www.english-for-students.com/Ana ... ument.html. After reading over about 20 of them, I started to think through each topic before seeing the provided response. I felt there was such a varied set of topics that called for different types of responses and was worried I wouldn't score a 6 if I used a template.

Overall, I spent 90% of my time practicing full-length exams and only 10% studying outside of the practice tests. I must have taken 75 full tests. I reviewed every wrong answer or answer I wasn't sure about, and often redid the question.

Also, I scheduled and paid for two exams (second one coming up in 10 days)... I wanted to feel completely comfortable canceling my first exam if it didn't go well. Thinking of it as a practice exam took some pressure off. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

I started with analytical. On the first question, I panicked and my mind froze. I finally had to test 3 of the possible answers, using over 4 minutes. But I regained my composure. Deep breath.

I hope this is helpful.

Kudos [?]: 6 [4], given: 5

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 147 [1], given: 56

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 750 (Q 49, V 42), IR -8, AWA - 6, GMAT Debrief (October 21, 2017) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 17:46
This post received
KUDOS
alainca wrote:
First, a huge thank you to this community and all the great posts. I learned so much here, in ways I can't even begin to list.

I started with a first practice exam from Veritas Prep on August 9 (640, 39, 39).

I took (and paid for) every practice exam I could find that seemed decent. Against the advice to save the official GMAT's till the end, I took the first two early in the process, since they are real questions. I felt taking them early would best serve my learning. I also found the additional gmat prep exam packs well worth it. I took practice exam 5 on October 3 and scored 770 on that.

Anytime I felt a company's questions were not representative or typical, I moved quickly to other vendors. I found the following most useful: official gmat tests, veritas prep, manhattan prep, gmat club (for analytical only, I think the verbal items are awful).

A week before the exam, I decided to change my strategy wrt the Analytical Writing section: instead of using a template, I reviewed every topic and answer provided here: http://www.english-for-students.com/Ana ... ument.html. After reading over about 20 of them, I started to think through each topic before seeing the provided response. I felt there was such a varied set of topics that called for different types of responses and was worried I wouldn't score a 6 if I used a template.

Overall, I spent 90% of my time practicing full-length exams and only 10% studying outside of the practice tests. I must have taken 75 full tests. I reviewed every wrong answer or answer I wasn't sure about, and often redid the question.

Also, I scheduled and paid for two exams (second one coming up in 10 days)... I wanted to feel completely comfortable canceling my first exam if it didn't go well. Thinking of it as a practice exam took some pressure off. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

I started with analytical. On the first question, I panicked and my mind froze. I finally had to test 3 of the possible answers, using over 4 minutes. But I regained my composure. Deep breath.

I hope this is helpful.

Many Congratulations!! It seems that you were pretty strong in verbal right from the start. Can you please share your strategy for RC.

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 147 [1], given: 56

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 248

Re: 750 (Q 49, V 42), IR -8, AWA - 6, GMAT Debrief (October 21, 2017) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 04:35
i want to know the difference between the gmatprep score and the actual gmat score. can you help me with the details of your gmatprep score if you gave any ?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 10:21
vivek6199 wrote:

Many Congratulations!! It seems that you were pretty strong in verbal right from the start. Can you please share your strategy for RC.

Sure. My RC prep was similar though easier since I'm a native English speaker. I took maybe 10 RC practice exams and went over each item I got wrong, understanding what I missed. I didn't find any vendors offering decent RC practice items.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 10:24
Takdir wrote:
i want to know the difference between the gmatprep score and the actual gmat score. can you help me with the details of your gmatprep score if you gave any ?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Are you asking for the difference in my scores between my official gmat practice exams and the actual official exam? What do you mean my gmatprep?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 10:34
alainca wrote:
Takdir wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Are you asking for the difference in my scores between my official gmat practice exams and the actual official exam? What do you mean my gmatprep?

yes :)
gmatprep is the name of the software that takes the official gmat practice exam. it would be really helpful if you could post the scores.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 10:41
Takdir wrote:
alainca wrote:
Takdir wrote:

yes :)
gmatprep is the name of the software that takes the official gmat practice exam. it would be really helpful if you could post the scores.

You bet

Default Exam Pack:
(1) 8/19: 730 (Q 44, V 47), IR - 4
(2) 8/22: 720 (Q 47, V 42), IR - 3 (I wasn't paying much attention to IR early on)

Exam Pack 1:
(1) 9/30: 760 (Q 49, V 44), IR - 5
(2) 10/02: 770 (Q 49, V 47), IR - 8

Exam Pack 2:
(1) 10/03: 770 (Q 49, V 47), IR - 8
(2) 10/10: 740 (Q 48, V 44), IR - 8

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 17:23
your verbal score seems to be higher on the practice exams. did you see any qn on the practice exam that you have practiced before?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 17:33
Takdir wrote:
your verbal score seems to be higher on the practice exams. did you see any qn on the practice exam that you have practiced before?

No. I think I simply didn't perform quite as well on the real test on verbal. I'm actually taking it again in two days, hoping to score a little higher.

It's also possible that I second guessed myself more on the real test. In the practice exams, I was often finishing the verbal with 10 minutes to spare. On the real exam, I took more time to review my answers to each one. That might have contributed to a lower score.

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 12:09
First of all congratulations to you for the great score!

Second - I must say hats off as you could actually muster the courage to appear the exam twice even after scoring 750 (not many people do that)

alainca wrote:
Overall, I spent 90% of my time practicing full-length exams and only 10% studying outside of the practice tests. I must have taken 75 full tests.

Third - The number of tests you took is just unbelievable.... 75 Tests :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :o :o

The advise you mentioned - "Review Mocs" is a great point and most important in preparation.

However, it would be really helpful if you could add more depth in terms of:

- Preparation Strategies
- Time Management

I wish you all the best for your next exam and I hope you get your dream score!

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 12:31
ydmuley wrote:

The advise you mentioned - "Review Mocs" is a great point and most important in preparation.

However, it would be really helpful if you could add more depth in terms of:

- Preparation Strategies
- Time Management

I wish you all the best for your next exam and I hope you get your dream score!

Thanks! I never gave any advice about "Review Mocs." What are you referring to?

Update: I retook the exam and scored exactly the same, so canceled on the spot.

What other preparation strategies can I offer? I created index cards to memorize math formulas, concepts, square roots of 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, prime numbers... but honestly I didn't find this to be a good use of my time. I think taking so many practice exams helped train my mind to stay focused even when I'm feeling tired or a question type turned me off. For example, sometimes a quant problem type would show up that I would habitually get bummed out by (absolute values and inequalities, or complicated distance traveled questions). With repetition, I was able to change my attitude from "oh no, I don't want to figure this out, it hurts to think about" to "let's take this slow and steady and I'll eventually have more fun with it."

Section Ordering: I always started with Qual First, because that's when I felt I had to be the sharpest, most energetic. Also, I knew that I moved through the verbal faster than most, with time to spare, so it was nice to have that extra time later in the test when I might feel more tired.

Re: 750 (Q 49, V 42), IR -8, AWA - 6, GMAT Debrief (October 21, 2017)   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2017, 12:31

750 (Q 49, V 42), IR -8, AWA - 6, GMAT Debrief (October 21, 2017)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap