GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 02:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (01:38) correct 22% (01:38) wrong based on 1758 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a combination of wool and cotton. The manufacturer has 3,000 pounds of wool and 2,000 pounds of cotton on hand. Is this enough wool and cotton to make at least 1,000 jackets?

1) Each wool jacket requires 4 pounds of wool, and no cotton
2) Each cotton jacket requires 6 pounds of cotton, and no wool
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 17:17
AbdurRakib wrote:
A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a combination of wool and cotton. The manufacturer has 3,000 pounds of wool and 2,000 pounds of cotton on hand. Is this enough wool and cotton to make at least 1,000 jackets?

We are given that a clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a combination of wool and cotton, and that the manufacturer has 3,000 pounds of wool and 2,000 pounds of cotton on hand. We need to determine whether there is enough cotton and wool to produce 1,000 jackets.

Statement One Alone:

Each wool jacket requires 4 pounds of wool, and no cotton.

Since 3000/4 = 750, this means the manufacturer can make 750 wool-only jackets. However, since we do not know how much cotton is needed to produce a cotton jacket, we do not have enough information to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

Each cotton jacket requires 6 pounds of cotton, and no wool.

Since 2000/6 = 333⅓, the manufacturer can make 333 cotton-only jackets. However, since we do not know how much wool is needed to produce a wool jacket, we do not have enough information to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statements one and two, we know that each wool jacket requires 4 pounds of wool and no cotton, and that each cotton jacket requires 6 pounds of cotton and no wool.

From the analysis of each statement, we know that the manufacturer can make a maximum of 750 wool jackets and 333 cotton jackets. Since we have enough cotton and wool to produce 750 + 333 = 1,033 jackets, we have enough cotton and wool to produce at least 1,000 jackets.

Answer: C

250 REVIEWS

5-STAR RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 03:37
AbdurRakib wrote:

Statement 1: Each wool jacket requires 4 pounds of wool, and no cotton

Manufacturer has 3000 pounds of wool. So she can make (3000/4) = 750 woollen jackets. He has some cotton also but we do not know how much cotton is used in one jacket.
Not sufficient.

Statement 2: Each cotton jacket requires 6 pounds of cotton, and no wool

Manufacturer has 2000 pounds of wool. So she can make (2000/6) = 330+ cotton jackets. He has some wool also but we do not know how much wool is used in one jacket.
Not sufficient.

Combining these two statements

he can make 750+(330+) jackets which is more than 1000.

We get a confirmed answer. So sufficient.

C is the answer
General Discussion
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M$)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 22:16
Bunuel Can you please help here?

I am not sure as to why C can be the answer to this question. The stem doesn't clarify what sort of a jacket? Is it a wollen jacket or a cotton jacket or a combination of both?

If it is wollen or cotton, then it makes sense to me and the answer can be yes (3000/4 + 2000/6)
If it is both, then we do not have sufficient information.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 22:23
Keats wrote:

I am not sure as to why C can be the answer to this question. The stem doesn't clarify what sort of a jacket? Is it a wollen jacket or a cotton jacket or a combination of both?

If it is wollen or cotton, then it makes sense to me and the answer can be yes (3000/4 + 2000/6)

The question asks about any kinds of jackets - wool or cotton or a combination of wool and cotton.
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M$)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 22:26
Bunuel wrote:

The question asks about any kinds of jackets - wool or cotton or a combination of wool and cotton.

Ah! I got it. They played with the language here. As long as it gives me the answer that there can be at least 1000 jackets that can be made, I think the answer to the question is sufficiently answered. So, option C definitely makes sense.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2020, 00:02
Hello, I have a slight confusion on the answer.
I think both C and D are valid because if you look at each statement separately we can say there's not enough material to produce 1,000 jackets, but then if we combine the amount then yes we can say there's enough material to product 1,000 jackets.
When both answer choice are valid which one should you choose?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2020, 00:16
Phenpimol wrote:
Hello, I have a slight confusion on the answer.
I think both C and D are valid because if you look at each statement separately we can say there's not enough material to produce 1,000 jackets, but then if we combine the amount then yes we can say there's enough material to product 1,000 jackets.
When both answer choice are valid which one should you choose?

The data sufficiency problem consists of a question and two statements, labeled (1) and (2), in which certain data are given. You have to decide whether the data given in the statements are sufficient for answering the question. Using the data given in the statements, plus your knowledge of mathematics and everyday facts (such as the number of days in July or the meaning of the word counterclockwise), you must indicate whether—

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
C. BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

As you can see D means that "EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked". This is not the case for the problem at hand. (1) is not sufficient to answer the question: we know that we can make 750 wool-only jackets but we don't know whether 2,000 pounds of cotton is enough to make the remaining 250 cotton jackets. The same for (2): we know that we can make 333 cotton-only jackets but we don't know whether 3,000 pounds of wool is enough to make the remaining 667 wool jackets. Combined the statement are sufficient: we know that we can make total of 750 + 333 = 1,033 jackets. So, the answer is C: BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.

I suggest you to go through the following post ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT.

Hope this helps.
S
A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2020, 09:51
Bunuel wrote:
Keats wrote:

Bunuel

Between C and E --- I thought the answer was E because the answer to question can be "Yes" or can be "No"

Specifically
Scenario 1) if 750 wool and 250 cotton jackets ; the answer to the question is "Yes", you can make atleast a 1,000 jackets
Scenario 2) If 1000 wool and 0 cotton jackets ; the answer to the question is "No" -- you cannot make a 1,000 jackets
Scenario 3) If 600 wool and 400 cotton jackets; the answer to the question is "No" -- you cannot make a 1,000 jackets

Hence i thought the answer was E and not C

If the answer was to be C -- wouldn't the answer to the question be always "YES" based on EVERY scenario (scenario 1 and scenario 2-or scenario 3 - the answer should be "Yes" every time)

Please let me know your thoughts !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 13:35
Hi Experts - chetan2u Bunuel GMATBusters nick1816

While i understand why C is right answer -- what would the total pounds of cotton or wool (or maybe lbs of cotton or lbs of wool needed per jacket) be like if the answer to this question would be "E" instead of C

I am struggling to understand, when would E ever be an option for a question like this as the answer to the question will always be the following (correct me if am wrong) -->

-- Yes we have the pounds of cotton or wool to make a 1000 jackets -- mark sufficient as the answer to the question is "Yes - we can make a 1000 jackets"

-- No, we don't have the pounds of cotton or wool to make a 1000 jackets -- in this case, i would mark sufficient too as the answer to the question would be "No - we cannot make a 1000 jackets"
Retired Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 17:42
It depends on how the question has been worded, there can be many cases:
For example:
if Statement 1 had been "Each wool jacket requires more than 4 pounds of wool, and no cotton"
and Statement 2 had been: "Each cotton jacket requires less than 6 pounds of cotton, and no wool"

Answer would be E

jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:

While i understand why C is right answer -- what would the total pounds of cotton or wool (or maybe lbs of cotton or lbs of wool needed per jacket) be like if the answer to this question would be "E" instead of C

I am struggling to understand, when would E ever be an option for a question like this as the answer to the question will always be the following (correct me if am wrong) -->

-- Yes we have the pounds of cotton or wool to make a 1000 jackets -- mark sufficient as the answer to the question is "Yes - we can make a 1000 jackets"

-- No, we don't have the pounds of cotton or wool to make a 1000 jackets -- in this case, i would mark sufficient too as the answer to the question would be "No - we cannot make a 1000 jackets"

S

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 17:48
GMATBusters wrote:
For example:
if Statement 1 had been "Each wool jacket requires more than 4 pounds of wool, and no cotton"
and Statement 2 had been: "Each cotton jacket requires less than 6 pounds of cotton, and no wool"

Answer would be E

Thank you so much for replying

I agree if greater than / less than scenarios are presented, E would certainly be a contender

Just wondering if you can think of cases with specific numbers however where E is a contender (not ranges or greater than scenarios)

Thank you so much for your time

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 17:59
with specific cases both in the QUestion stem and in Statements 1 & 2, we cannot have E.

because both definite Yes or No makes the case sufficient

GMATBusters wrote:
For example:

Answer would be E

Thank you so much for replying

I agree if greater than / less than scenarios are presented, E would certainly be a contender

Just wondering if you can think of cases with specific numbers however where E is a contender (not ranges or greater than scenarios)

Thank you so much for your time

B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2020, 13:34
The common confusion in this problem arises from the last sentence in the stem: "Is there enough wool and cotton to make at least 1000 jackets?"

1 and 2 briefly makes you think like you're sure the answer is D.

This is a trap because you think that (1) for example has told you there isn't enough cotton or jacket. Looks closer.

The question didn't ask OR. It specifically said AND. Thus there's not enough of both as there MAY or MAYnot be enough cotton depending on what's in the info we didn't get. So it's not sufficient.

This is very subtle bcos I noticed that GMAT quant can be unpredictable sometimes. Sometimes it leaves you with excessive or redundant info in the stems of some questions. In some others every bit of information is very crucial in getting the answer right.

If you look further closer you'll see that the first sentence in the stem if removed doesn't change anything in the answer. In fact it's one of those redundant information u see in some GMAT quant questions.

What matters MOST is the question you're asked. Is there? What? Can? Which? etc...

Pay almighy logical attention to the language in the question. Any other info in the stem that contradicts the main question, dash it against the wall and get it bursted!

In the problem above, you'll notice that the stem first started telling you a long cock and bull story of "only" "or" "both(and)".

At the end, the question demanded that you make a decision based on "and".

Hence you MIGHT expect to see an info on the pounds for both wool and cotton jackets to say "Yes there's enough info to determine if there's enough cotton AND wool for the 1000 jackets.

Finally, if (1) had said "One pound of cotton is required for a cotton jacket and no wool" then you'd clearly have at least 1000jacket from that, WOULD YOU SAY (1) is sufficient or insufficient then?

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIM
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 14:39
given, 3000 pounds of wool; 2000 pounds of cotton. types of clothes are only wool, only cotton, & mix of wool & cotton
find out is material enough for at least 100 jackets?

a) 4 pounds of wool per jacket with no cotton. we can make 3000/4 --> 750 jackets
no further information on cotton jackets, multiple case possible. Not sufficient ( Cancel DE)

b) 6 pounds of cotton with no wool. we can make 2000/6 --> ~333 jackets.
no further information on wool jackets, multiple case possible. Not sufficient ( Cancel B)

together a&b --> min. 750+333 jackets i.e., 1083. that is greater than 1000. Sufficient.
Answer C
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a co   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2020, 14:39

A clothing manufacturer makes jackets that are wool or cotton or a co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics