GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 12:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:35) correct 17% (01:54) wrong based on 92 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common among American writers of preceding centuries. I believe this because my analysis of 100 books, 50 old and 50 contemporary, demonstrates convincingly that none of the contemporary writings are executed as skillfully as the older writings.

Which of the following points to the most serious logical flaw in the Editor’s argument?

A.There could be criteria other than the technical skill of the writer by which to evaluate a book.
B.The particular methods currently used by American writers could require less literary skill than do methods used by writers in other parts of the world.
C.The editors fame could cause people to accept the editors thesis even without their reading the books to consider the validity of his thesis.
D.An individual who was not familiar with the language of literary criticism might not be convinced by the editors analysis of the 100 books
E.The books chosen for analysis could be those that most support his thesis.

Source: Crackverbal

B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB EPGP"20
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 13:14
devikeerthansr wrote:
A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common among American writers of preceding centuries. I believe this because my analysis of 100 books, 50 old and 50 contemporary, demonstrates convincingly that none of the contemporary writings are executed as skillfully as the older writings.

Which of the following points to the most serious logical flaw in the Editor’s argument?

A.There could be criteria other than the technical skill of the writer by which to evaluate a book.
B.The particular methods currently used by American writers could require less literary skill than do methods used by writers in other parts of the world.
C.The editors fame could cause people to accept the editors thesis even without their reading the books to consider the validity of his thesis.
D.An individual who was not familiar with the language of literary criticism might not be convinced by the editors analysis of the 100 books
E.The books chosen for analysis could be those that most support his thesis.

Source: Crackverbal

IMO the right answer is E. The entire conclusion is based only on the analysis of 100 books and nothing else. There is no guarantee that the selected books represent a good sample set to make that conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Re: A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 13:25
Thanks for the answer. I was stuck in between A and E. The weightage of the answer in my case was more for E than for A but I dont understand how I can completely eliminate A. Is it because there is no mention of the word technical in the para?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB EPGP"20
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 13:37
deepanjan0612 wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I was stuck in between A and E. The weightage of the answer in my case was more for E than for A but I dont understand how I can completely eliminate A. Is it because there is no mention of the word technical in the para?

Good point. I shall take a shot at addressing your point.
IMO even if there is a different skill with which one could evaluate an authors, the Editor in the argument can still come to the same conclusion provided his selected books are representative ones. The entire argument crumbles if books aren't the right ones.
Also, the key of the argument is on comparing the skills of older and newer writers but not on the what type of skills to compare with.
So, I eliminated A considering it out of scope for the current argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 13:56
deepanjan0612 wrote:

A talks about evaluating a book. The premise nowhere mentions that the editor was evaluating the book. The editor simply compares the SKILLS of old writers with those of contemporary writers.
A is out of scope in terms of the Purpose (evaluation of book).

E rightly weakens the conclusion of editor by reversing the causality i.e. by doubting the sample itself.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 23:10
We should not select choice which is somehow talk about other factor
A mentions other reason whereas our intention is to find an choice which if true amkes it analysis in doubt

E is surely better than A in that regard

Posted from my mobile device
Re: A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common   [#permalink] 07 May 2018, 23:10

A Famous Editor: American writers today lack skills that were common

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics