Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 678 [26]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [8]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 678 [6]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [3]
Given Kudos: 378
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: A financial analyst predicts that the government bailout of a bank [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This question tests 2 concepts namely "Will Vs Would" and "Greater vs More"

Concept 1: Bank Loan exposure is countable, hence the greater would be more appropriate

A financial analyst predicts that the government bailout of a bank would fail if the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is more than 40 percent of its total exposure

Concept 2: Now the non-underlined portion of the stem is simple present, hence "will" ie simple future should be used in the conditional sentence

Option D corrects both these errors: will fail if the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is greater than
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A financial analyst predicts that the government bailout of a bank [#permalink]
Kudos
Can we use 'will' with predicts ? Isn't would better suited ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
A financial analyst predicts that the government bailout of a bank would fail if the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is more than 40 percent of its total exposure

A)would fail if the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is more than (Need simple future tense for prediction)
B)would fall provided the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is more than (Same as A)
C)should fail if the home loan exposure in that bank was greater than (Same as A)
D)will fail if the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is greater than (Correct)
E)will fail if the home loan home loan exposure in that bank were more than (Same as A)

Kudos please if you like my explanation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM

A)would fail if the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is more than
B)would fall provided the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is more than
C)should fail if the home loan exposure in that bank was greater than
D)will fail if the proportion of home loan exposure in that bank is greater than
E)will fail if the home loan home loan exposure in that bank were more than

if then construct

if present tense then present tense/future tense
if past tense then would +verb
only D fits the bill
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
One extra point
If you are not sure if we should used would with predict or will , there is one more issue on which you can reply to get this one correct.

=> Greater than should be used to compare entities if entities are in percentage.

Option C and D uses that and we know for sure C is incorrect. Hence Option D is correct Choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Shruti0805 wrote:
Can we use 'will' with predicts ? Isn't would better suited ?

Using "predict" with "would" would be redundancy.

The analyst predicts that bailout WILL fail... correct
The analyst predicts that bailout WOULD fail.. redundancy

(Words such as believe, predict, fear, envisage etc. already imply hypothesis - use of "would" with such words is redundant.)

Hi sayantanc2k / @egmat/ GMATNinja / VeritasKarishma

in the right option as you said there is a hypothesis, shouldn't we require subjunctive verb rather than as a usual if-else rule?

Please clarify where else we can use subjunctive apart from triggerword+subject+that rule
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [5]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos