GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits follow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits follow  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 09:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (02:47) correct 34% (03:05) wrong based on 219 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tough and Tricky questions: Probability.

A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits followed by two letters. The letters A, B, and C are used only by government vehicles while the letters D through Z are used by non-government vehicles. Kerrania's intelligence agency has recently captured a message from the country Gonzalia indicating that an electronic transmitter has been installed in a Kerrania government vehicle with a license plate starting with 79. If it takes the police 10 minutes to inspect each vehicle, what is the probability that the police will find the transmitter within three hours?

(A) 18/79
(B) 1/6
(C) 1/25
(D) 1/50
(E) 1/900

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS '15
Re: A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits follow  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 11:05
If it takes 10 minutes to inspect one vehicle, the # of vehicles that can be inspected in 3 hours (180 minutes) = 180/10 = 18. Hence, for calculating the probability that the police will find the transmitter within three hours, the favorable cases = 18. Now, we need to figure out the total # of cases.

The total # of cases = Total # of such cars possible. The details given about the car is that it starts with 79, which leaves 2 more digits, both of which can be filled by all 10 numbers (0-9). In addition, we have 3 letters, each of which can be filled by any from the set {A,B,C}. Hence the total # of such cars possible = 10*10*3*3 = 900

So, the probability that the police will find the transmitter within three hours = 18/900 = 1/50. Option D
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Mannheim '15
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits follow  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 06:51
Bunuel wrote:

A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits followed by two letters. The letters A, B, and C are used only by government vehicles while the letters D through Z are used by non-government vehicles. Kerrania's intelligence agency has recently captured a message from the country Gonzalia indicating that an electronic transmitter has been installed in a Kerrania government vehicle with a license plate starting with 79. If it takes the police 10 minutes to inspect each vehicle, what is the probability that the police will find the transmitter within three hours?

(A) 18/79
(B) 1/6
(C) 1/25
(D) 1/50
(E) 1/900

the language four digits followed by two letters, it sounded like total 6 alphanumerics. can you please comment about this.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 12:45
Hi dangeyg,

This question involves permutations AND probability; these questions also tend to be very specific about what they ask for, so you have to pay careful attention to the details and take the proper notes.

We're given a variety of Facts about license plates in Kerrania:
1) Plates are always 6 characters - 4 digits followed by 2 letters (in THAT order)
2) On GOVERNMENT plates, the ONLY 3 letters that are used are A, B and C.
3) A specific GOVERNMENT plate that BEGINS with 79 _ _ _ _ is being sought.

To start this question off, we need to figure out how many DIFFERENT plates fit these "restrictions"

Since the first 4 spaces on a plate are DIGITS, the 'third' and 'fourth' spots can be anything from 0 through 9, inclusive (this means there are 10 options for each of those two spots). Next, since we're dealing with a GOVERNMENT vehicle, the 'fifth' and 'sixth' spots can only be the letters A, B and C (so there are 3 options for each of those two spots).

(10)(10)(3)(3) = 900 possible government plates begin with 79 _ _ _ _. UrsTruly explains the rest of the math correctly, so I won't rehash any of that here.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 12:46
tough and tricky one
we know that the plates start with 79
the plate consist of 4 digits and 2 letters
we have these possibilities
1st digit known, so only 1 possibility
2nd digit known, so only 1 possibility
3rd digit unknown, so 10 possibilities
4th digit unknown, so 10 possibilities

we have 100 possibilities by digits

now we know that only letters A, B, and C are used for government's vehicles, thus, we can establish these possibilities
1st letter, A, B, or C, which gives us 3 possibilities
2nd letter, A, B, or C, again 3 possibilities.
checking how many combinations we can have, 3x3 = 9, so we have 9 possibilities.

taking all together, by number of digits and by letters, we have 900 plates.

to check each car, it takes 10 minutes, so for all plates, we need 9000 minutes.
3 hours, that's 180 minutes.

the probability of catching the suspect is thus 180/9000, simplify 18/900 = 2/100 = 1/50
answer choice D.
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 06:19
Since the first two digits of the license plate are known and there are 10 possibilities for each of the remaining two digits (each can be any digit from 0 to 9), the total number of combinations for digits on the license plate will equal 10 ×10 = 100.
Because there are only 3 letters that can be used for government license plates (A, B, or C), there are a total of nine two-letter combinations that could be on the license plate (3 possibilities for first letter × 3 possibilities for the second letter).

Given that we have 100 possible digit combinations and 9 possible letter combinations, the total number of vehicles to be inspected will equal 100 × 9 = 900.
Since it takes 10 minutes to inspect one vehicle, the police will have time to inspect 18 vehicles in three hours (3 hours = 180 minutes). Thus, the probability of locating the transmitter within the allotted time is 18/900 = 1/50. The correct answer is D.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q45 V40

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 20:16
Since the first two digits are already determined, the inspectors will only have to sift through two more digits and two letters.

The Police could search one car in 10 mins. Altogether they can search 6X3 = 18 cars in 3 hours.

The
For the family of plates starting with 79, the plate has the format -- 79_ _ _ _
For the third digit and the fourth digit the possible options are numbers from 0 to 9
For the last two digits, the options are A, B, C.
Hence the possible plates are 10 X 10 X 3 X 3 = 900

The probability of finding the transmitter in 3 hours = 18/900 = 1/50

My Answer is "D"
Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 07:13
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 18/79
(B) 1/6
(C) 1/25
(D) 1/50
(E) 1/900

This problem contains superfluous information; well more so, not all the information given in the problem will be used to calculate our answer...let's take it step by step
So this license plate will have 6 characters: 4 randomized digits (these digits DO NOT have to be distinct- the problem does explicitly state this so it is assumed that digits can repeat such as 7999AAA or 7979BBB). Kerrania's Intelligence Agency has already identified the first two digits for this unique six character license place so we just multiply the possibilities for the last two numerical digits times the two possibilities for the last two letters which must derive from the set of Government letters only. Hence,

10 (numbers 0-9) * 10 (numbers 0-9) * 3 (letters A-C) * 3 (letters A-C) = 900 cars that start with 79 and use strictly Government letters

Now, the problem states it takes 10 minutes to search for each car...so how many cars can Kerrania's intelligence agency search through in 3 hours? Well, there are 60 minutes in 1 hour- so just multiply 60 minutes by 3 for a total of 180 minutes-so if Kerrania's intelligence agency can search through 1 car in 10 minutes then in 180 minutes they can search for 18 cars. Essentially what this question is asking is the total number of cars that can be found in an hour divided by the total number of cars in order to calculate the probability of finding a particular car within that group of 900 cars that contains the transmitter- it can be a very confounding problem so patience is necessary

P(cars found in 3 hours)/ P(total possibility of cars starting with 79 and using government letters)

18 cars / 900 cars = 1/50
Attachments

image1 (1).JPG
image1 (1).JPG [ 492.4 KiB | Viewed 1739 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 01:31
anairamitch1804 wrote:
Since the first two digits of the license plate are known and there are 10 possibilities for each of the remaining two digits (each can be any digit from 0 to 9), the total number of combinations for digits on the license plate will equal 10 ×10 = 100.
Because there are only 3 letters that can be used for government license plates (A, B, or C), there are a total of nine two-letter combinations that could be on the license plate (3 possibilities for first letter × 3 possibilities for the second letter).

Given that we have 100 possible digit combinations and 9 possible letter combinations, the total number of vehicles to be inspected will equal 100 × 9 = 900.
Since it takes 10 minutes to inspect one vehicle, the police will have time to inspect 18 vehicles in three hours (3 hours = 180 minutes). Thus, the probability of locating the transmitter within the allotted time is 18/900 = 1/50. The correct answer is D.

Hi, this question really gave me some problems,but I could finally do it. My question from you is derived from the following that you have written:-

Since it takes 10 minutes to inspect one vehicle, the police will have time to inspect 18 vehicles in three hours (3 hours = 180 minutes). Thus, the probability of locating the transmitter within the allotted time is 18/900 = 1/50.

I agree that in 3 hours, the number of vehicles that can be tested is 18, and we have 900 vehicles in total that may be tested.

What we have to find, is the probability that we find our transmitter vehicle in no more than 18 attempts. That would translate into - the first vehicle is our vehicle or the first is some other vehicle and then our vehicle or .....

What you have done is simply divided The cars we can check by The total number of cars that are there.

I cannot understand the connection, how does this give us the answer? Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma please help. I am trying to actually fully understand the concepts of probability, this would really help fetch a higher score. Thanks a lot :)

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 02:04
Quote:
Hi, this question really gave me some problems,but I could finally do it. My question from you is derived from the following that you have written:-

Since it takes 10 minutes to inspect one vehicle, the police will have time to inspect 18 vehicles in three hours (3 hours = 180 minutes). Thus, the probability of locating the transmitter within the allotted time is 18/900 = 1/50.

I agree that in 3 hours, the number of vehicles that can be tested is 18, and we have 900 vehicles in total that may be tested.

What we have to find, is the probability that we find our transmitter vehicle in no more than 18 attempts. That would translate into - the first vehicle is our vehicle or the first is some other vehicle and then our vehicle or .....

What you have done is simply divided The cars we can check by The total number of cars that are there.

I cannot understand the connection, how does this give us the answer? please help. I am trying to actually fully understand the concepts of probability, this would really help fetch a higher score. Thanks a lot :)

Probability that a certain event will happen = No. of favourable events/Sample space.

Favourable events in this question = fishing out the vehicle with the said license plate in 180 mins.
Sample space = total time it would require to go through all the vehicles matching the said criteria (79-xx-yy).

We have 900 vehicles to inspect. It takes 10 minutes to inspect one vehicle. So, the time it will take to inspect 900 vehicles will be 9000 minutes.

We have 180 minutes to do the search. So, the probability of succeeding = 180/9000 = 1/50. Hope its clear.

I used to think the brain was the most important organ. Then I thought, look what’s telling me that.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 12:10
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits follow &nbs [#permalink] 11 Aug 2018, 12:10

A license plate in the country Kerrania consists of four digits follow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap