It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 19:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1011 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 08:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:34) correct 45% (01:29) wrong based on 278 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether a particular change in its format would increase its readership. Sixty-two percent of those who returned the questionnaire supported that change. On the basis of this outcome, the decision was made to introduce the new format.

Which one of the following, if it were determined to be true, would provide the best evidence that the journal's decision will have the desired effect?

(A) Of the readers who received questionnires, 90 percent returned them.
(B) Other journals have based format changes on survey results.
(C) The percentage of surveyed readers who like the format change was almost the same as the percentage of the entire potential readership who would like format change.
(D) It was determined that the new format would be less costly than the old format.
(E) Ninety percent of the readers who were dissatisfied with the old format and only 50 percent of the readers who like the old format returned their questionnaires.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1011 [0], given: 61

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 04:41
(C) The percentage of surveyed readers who like the format change was almost the same as the percentage of the entire potential readership who would like format change.
(E) Ninety percent of the readers who were dissatisfied with the old format and only 50 percent of the readers who like the old format returned their questionnaires.

62% like the old format out of those who returned the questionnaire.
But what if the no. of people who have returned the questionnaire is quite less. Lets only out of 100 people, only 7 people have responded so out of that 5 like the format, 2 not. what about rest 93 cases. we don't about that. It can skew our data.

A) 90% returned so
90* 62/100 = 55
so yes, people liked the new format. But still is it true representative of entire population. We don't know.

C ADDRESS THIS ISSUE.

The percentage of surveyed readers who like the format change = we don't know if it 62 or less than 62 based on no. of readers responded.
so again there is a possibility that only 7% of potential readership who would like format change.

Pl help with this ques
I don't like both A, C and also I don't know why E wrong?

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 342

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 185

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 10:50
+ C.

We need to give the evidence that the journal's decision will have the desired effect? i.e readership would increase.

This option talks about the potential readers and it says the percentage of surveyed readers who like the format change was almost the same as the percentage of the entire potential readership
So if they the potential readers voted for this change their likelihood of reading the journal would be high once the changes are incorporated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 185

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 16:53
How can we rely on percentages, considering the number of people might actually vary.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 17:22
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you very much this is useful

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 14

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 451

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 19:00
broall wrote:
A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether a particular change in its format would increase its readership. Sixty-two percent of those who returned the questionnaire supported that change. On the basis of this outcome, the decision was made to introduce the new format.

Which one of the following, if it were determined to be true, would provide the best evidence that the journal's decision will have the desired effect?

(B) Other journals have based format changes on survey results.
(D) It was determined that the new format would be less costly than the old format.

Source: LSAT

the surveyed readers truly correspond to all readers. So since 62% reacts positively, it means 62% of all readers react positively, that's why I think C is correct ...
but A is a very powerful contender

thanks

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 451

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
I go with c. Since percentage of reader's surveyed resembles general population this option is valid. But what's wrong with A and E?

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 68

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 23:48
chandru1989 wrote:
I go with c. Since percentage of reader's surveyed resembles general population this option is valid. But what's wrong with A and E?

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

For A : "Of the readers who received. .." means these people are already readers of the journal. If we want to increase readership ie induce people who did not read the journal before to start reading it, we should not concern ourselves with those who are already readers.
I would think the same about option E.
One reason why C is correct is because it clearly states POTENTIAL readership.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 68

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 62

WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
i went with A and here follows my line of reasoning.
A-Lets assume there were 1000 readers/ readers who received the questionnaire. 900 returned and out of which 62% supported then approximately 558 persons supported- i felt this is better
B- other journals - None of my business
C- i rejected this option bec we know nothing about the people who would have liked the format change but would not have returned the questionnaire. lets say 1000 readers surveyed out of which 200 only returned the questionnaire. out of which only 112 supported the change. as a result only 11.2 % of 1000 readers supported the change. we have no concrete information about the rest 800 readers whether they liked or disliked the change. So how can we assume the choices of remaining 800 persons. - does not strengthen
D- Monetary aspect- not our concern
E- lets say 1000 readers surveyed. 400 disliked and 600 liked the old format. 90% of disliked=> 360 and 50% of liked=> 300. total returned the questionnaire = 660 out of which only 62% supported the change making it 409 people supported the change=>41% of the readers surveyed would like the change. - Does not strengthen.

Of all the options A had the highest probability as a strengthener. so i went for A. Requesting experts to correct me where i went wrong.

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 62

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 117

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 04:12
C..The percentage of surveyed readers who like the format change was almost the same as the percentage of the entire potential readership who would like format change. Not clear about C. What if the % of surveyed readers was only 1% and the % of potential pool of readers was say 2% , those % would amount to few people that like that fomat change thus making that decision ill founded.

GMAT loosers are born not made !!!

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 117

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1885 [1], given: 453

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aamir89 wrote:
i went with A and here follows my line of reasoning.
A-Lets assume there were 1000 readers/ readers who received the questionnaire. 900 returned and out of which 62% supported then approximately 558 persons supported- i felt this is better
B- other journals - None of my business
C- i rejected this option bec we know nothing about the people who would have liked the format change but would not have returned the questionnaire. lets say 1000 readers surveyed out of which 200 only returned the questionnaire. out of which only 112 supported the change. as a result only 11.2 % of 1000 readers supported the change. we have no concrete information about the rest 800 readers whether they liked or disliked the change. So how can we assume the choices of remaining 800 persons. - does not strengthen
D- Monetary aspect- not our concern
E- lets say 1000 readers surveyed. 400 disliked and 600 liked the old format. 90% of disliked=> 360 and 50% of liked=> 300. total returned the questionnaire = 660 out of which only 62% supported the change making it 409 people supported the change=>41% of the readers surveyed would like the change. - Does not strengthen.

Of all the options A had the highest probability as a strengthener. so i went for A. Requesting experts to correct me where i went wrong.

Quote:

Choice (C) specifically tells us that 62% of the ENTIRE POTENTIAL READERSHIP would like to have a format change. Without choice (C), it is possible that only a very small portion of the entire readership actually wants a format change. Thus, even if MOST of the readers who support a format change like this change, that would still only represent a tiny portion of overall readership.

In other words, say that we somehow knew that MOST people who support a format change actually responded to the survey. Even knowing that information, the survey results would still be meaningless because we do not know what percent of readers want a format change at all.

However, with choice (C), we now know that MOST readers would like a format change. Thus, if MOST readers who support a format change actually responded to the survey, then the survey would be evidence that the format change will be a success. True, choice (C) does not PROVE that the change will be a success. It is still possible that most readers who supported a change did not respond to the survey. But choice (C) eliminates a possibility (described in the last paragraph) that would weaken the conclusion. Thus, choice (C) strengthens the argument. If most readers favored a change, it is MORE likely that a greater number responded to the survey and thus MORE likely that the plan will succeed.

As for choice (A), we still don't know what percentage of readers received questionnaires. If the survey was only sent to a very small portion of readers, it wouldn't matter that all or most of them returned the survey. It would still be unlikely that the survey accurately represented readers in general.

Choice (A) also leaves the possibility that all or most of the readers surveyed supported a format change. And if that only represents a tiny fraction of OVERALL readership, then the survey at best tells us that an even tinier fraction support this specific change. Choice (C) eliminates this possibility, so it is a better answer.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1885 [1], given: 453

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 13:47

(A) Of the readers who received questionnires, 90 percent returned them. -We don't know that how many people received questionnaire; thus we can't say that 90% is a big number or not.
(B) Other journals have based format changes on survey results. -We are not worried about other journals
(C) The percentage of surveyed readers who like the format change was almost the same as the percentage of the entire potential readership who would like format change. -Correct. This states that 62% would actually love the change
(D) It was determined that the new format would be less costly than the old format. -Cost? Out of scope
(E) Ninety percent of the readers who were dissatisfied with the old format and only 50 percent of the readers who like the old format returned their questionnaires. -Irrelevant

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Re: A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 13:47

A medical journal used a questionnaire survey to determine whether

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap