GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A new law gives ownership of patents-documents providing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
A new law gives ownership of patents-documents providing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2010, 07:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:46) correct 20% (01:51) wrong based on 1114 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A new law gives ownership of patents—documents providing exclusive right to make and sell an invention—to universities, not the government, when those patents result from government-sponsored university research. Administrators at Logos University plan to sell any patents they acquire to corporations in order to fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching.

Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt on the viability of the college administrators’ plan described above?

(A) Profit-making corporations interested in developing products based on patents held by universities are likely to try to serve as exclusive sponsors of ongoing university research projects.

(B) Corporate sponsors of research in university facilities are entitled to tax credits under new federal tax-code guidelines.

(C) Research scientists at Logos University have few or no teaching responsibilities and participate little if at all in the undergraduate programs in their field.

(D) Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University for the most part duplicates research already completed by several profit-making corporations.

(E) Logos University is unlikely to attract corporate sponsorship of its scientific research.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
Re: A new law gives ownership of patents-documents providing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2010, 11:07
D it is.

Administrators at Logos university are planning to make profits by selling their patents to corporations.

Which option will hurt their plan?

Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University duplicates research already completed by several profit-making corporations.

If the research is already completed by corporations than why would corporations buy the patents of same research from Logos university and this in effect tends to hurt the administrators plan.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 11:06
Whenever I looked at this problem I thought along the lines of, what would make the university not able to allocate funds towards undergraduate programs by not selling their patents.

I eliminated answer D last because it said that a lot of the research they perform is just a duplicate of work performed and completed by for-profit corporations. If it is duplicate research then they would never be awarded a patent which means that this option is irrelevant to the question. All this option states is that most of their research won't result in a patent which is 100% irrelevant (in my mind) to the argument.

I selected A because if the corporations are only willing to allocate their money as a sponsorship and not as outright buying the patents for cash, then the school would not be able to allocate money to their undergraduate program. All you would have is the government and corporations sponsoring additional research but that would not translate in to more money for undergraduate studies.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2010, 10:24
I've seen this one before. OA is D. I remember it only too well! I got this one wrong.
nusmavrik got the right explanation. :-) +1 to you!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 05:07
clearly 'D'.
If Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University for the most part duplicates research already completed by several profitmaking corporations, then corporations would not be interested in research carried out by the govt sponsored research.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 06:20
A- Convoluted inference.
B- Availability of tax credits for Corporate sponsored research does not impact the given argument.
C- Irrelevant. No mention of Research scientists can be seen in the argument.
D- Directly attacks and weakens the conclusion which assumes that Corporations would be interested in buying the patents from the Universities.
E- Farfetched and an out-of the line prediction.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 00:04
betterscore wrote:
A new law gives ownership of patents-documents providing exclusive right to make and sell an invention-to universities, not the government, when those patents result from government-sponsored university research. Administrators at Logos University plan to sell any patents they acquire to corporations in order to fund programs to improve undergraduate teaching.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most doubt on the viability of the college administrators' plan described above?

(A) Profit-making corporations interested in developing products based on patents held by universities are likely to try to serve as exclusive sponsors of ongoing university research projects. -- > exclusive sponsors for ongoing projects. Does not weaken, rather OOS
(B) Corporate sponsors of research in university facilities are entitled to tax credits under new federal tax-code guidelines. - tax guidelines- OOS
(C) Research scientists at Logos University have few or no teaching responsibilities and participate little if at all in the undergraduate programs in their field. - kind of supports the argument .
(D) Government-sponsored research conducted at Logos University for the most part duplicates research already completed by several profitmaking corporations. - If the corporates already have those patents, why will they buy it again from Logos univ ?
(E) Logos University is unlikely to attract corporate sponsorship of its scientific research - does not weaken

Answer

You want something, go get it . Period !

VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2013, 22:10
The university is planning to sell patents that are the result of govt funded research in order to fund its undergraduate teaching program. Notice that the stem asks us about the answer choice that casts the most doubt on the validity of the plan.

[A]: Even if corporations try to serve as exclusive sponsors, the university will still get sponsorship as well as money from selling the patents. This does not cast any doubt on whether the plan will work. Incorrect.
[B]: Tax credits to corporate sponsors are irrelevant for the university, and if anything they only encourage corporations to sponsor research. Incorrect.
[C]: The teaching need not be done by the research scientists alone. Incorrect.
[D]: CORRECT. If govt-sponsored research duplicates corporate research, corporate organizations will have no interest in the research or patents, and so will not buy the patents. This puts the whole plan in jeopardy.
[E]: This is not a problem. The programs are already govt funded. Incorrect.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-23-2015
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 03:32
D seems to be conflicting. If profit making corps already completed research then how can a university get exclusive rights? This is cearly stated in first sentence that university has the exclusive right for the research.

So the answer D is flawed.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 10:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: A new law gives ownership of patents-documents providing &nbs [#permalink] 04 Sep 2018, 10:28

A new law gives ownership of patents-documents providing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap