GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
P
A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 21:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:48) correct 30% (02:49) wrong based on 27 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such as 757. Two three digit palindromes have a difference of 11, with their units digits summing to 11. The sum of the digits of both palindromes is

A. 15
B. 19
C. 23
D. 27
E. 31
Manager
Manager
B
Re: A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 14:56
Can someone post the quickest solution to this ? It took me 5 minutes to arrive at the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
B
A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 16:11
Sum of units digits should be 11 and difference of both numbers should be 11.

Units digits of both numbers can be (9,2) (8,3) (7,4) (6,5)..
Remember, the difference should be 11. So, we are looking for a units digits set from the above whose difference is 1.

That is (6,5)

Since the numbers are palindromes we have
6X6
5Y5

And as the difference of both numbers is 11.. 606 and 595 should be the numbers, Sum of all digits is 31

IMO E.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 19:04
Sum of units digits is 11. Hence the sum of two numbers will have 1 at the unit's place. Only option E satisfies this. Hence 'E'.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 06:09
omkartadsare wrote:
Sum of units digits is 11. Hence the sum of two numbers will have 1 at the unit's place. Only option E satisfies this. Hence 'E'.

Posted from my mobile device

If I am correct, it works in that really specific example, but for most other examples, it will not.

With 107 and 374.
The sum of their unit digits is 11, but the sum of the digits of both numbers is 8 + 14 = 22, which does not have 1 as unit digit.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2019, 06:09

A palindrome is a number that reads the same forward or backward, such

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics