GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 334
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Aug 2017, 18:39
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (02:04) correct 25% (02:25) wrong based on 286 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representative areas confirmed that plastics constitute a smaller proportion of all trash than paper products do, whether the trash is measured by weight or volume. The damage that a given weight or volume of trash does to the environment is roughly the same whether the trash consists of plastics or paper products. Contrary to popular opinion, therefore, the current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash

B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment

C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.

D) The production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic

E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.

Please give your explanations for sure. OA to arrive later.

Originally posted by joshnsit on 25 Aug 2012, 07:58.
Last edited by broall on 30 Aug 2017, 18:39, edited 3 times in total.
Reformatted question
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Posts: 60
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2012, 08:19
A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash : Against the argument
B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment
C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.
D) THe production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic
E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.

Please give your explanations for sure. OA to arrive later.



D is the answer as both cause equal damage when in trash but paper causes more damage when it is produced.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 334
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2012, 18:08
mandyrhtdm wrote:
A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash : Against the argument
B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment
C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.
D) THe production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic
E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.

D is the answer as both cause equal damage when in trash but paper causes more damage when it is produced.
Can you please explain how does A goes against the argument?
If the paper trash increases in volume, then amount of paper trash would increase wrt volume of plastic.
Th conclusion says that : the current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products.

If A says that volume increases after manufacture and before discarded as trash, then it means that volume/trash increases in case of paper(i.e. it qualifies the current use condition) though doesn't happen in case of plastic. Shouldn't that strengthen the conclusion?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 76
Location: Canada
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2012, 15:02
1
D. Strengthens the conclusion by saying that the production of paper is more harmful then plastic therefore paper must bemore harmful since waste damage is the same.

In A even though the volume increases the argument says that whether measured by weight or volume the damage from discarding is the same whether paper or plastic.
_________________
Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprepsc-105446.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 334
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2012, 14:01
joshnsit wrote:
mandyrhtdm wrote:
A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash : Against the argument
B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment
C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.
D) THe production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic
E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.

D is the answer as both cause equal damage when in trash but paper causes more damage when it is produced.
Can you please explain how does A goes against the argument?
If the paper trash increases in volume, then amount of paper trash would increase wrt volume of plastic.
Th conclusion says that : the current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products.

If A says that volume increases after manufacture and before discarded as trash, then it means that volume/trash increases in case of paper(i.e. it qualifies the current use condition) though doesn't happen in case of plastic. Shouldn't that strengthen the conclusion?
@mandyrhtdm. I got your point. Since the Conclusion is: The current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products. So, choice A actually strengthens if it says paper weight or volume increases relatively to plastic.

Thanks for discussion, guys. OA is D.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2012, 00:59
The page cannot be found
BODY { font: 8pt/12pt verdana }
H1 { font: 13pt/15pt verdana }
H2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 307
Location: Canada
Reviews Badge
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 10:18
3
A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representative areas confirmed that plastics constitute a smaller proportion of all trash than paper products do, whether the trash is measured by weight or volume. The damage that a given weight or volume of trash does to the environment is roughly the same whether the trash consists of plastics or paper products. Contrary to popular opinion, therefore, the current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash
B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment
C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.
D) The production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic
E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 624
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 10:51
vikasp99 wrote:
A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representative areas confirmed that plastics constitute a smaller proportion of all trash than paper products do, whether the trash is measured by weight or volume. The damage that a given weight or volume of trash does to the environment is roughly the same whether the trash consists of plastics or paper products. Contrary to popular opinion, therefore, the current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash
B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment
C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.
D) The production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic
E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.



Yes D seems to be best....
A--out of scope
B-indirectly it is questioning the premise -in premise we have " wt and vol does not matter .
C-out of scope - we are not considering other types of trash
D - yes ,(Production(paper cause more damage) + use(same level damage for both paper n plastic) , over all paper is more harmful...
E-out of scope.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jan 2016
Posts: 77
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 06:13
Is A wrong, because it just talks about paper and we have no info about plastic ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: Active
Affiliations: NA
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 261
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 00:24
ankujgupta wrote:
Is A wrong, because it just talks about paper and we have no info about plastic ?


Yes , moreover not complete information to support the conclusion.
_________________
#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 287
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 10:38
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________
Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 253
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 11:28
sallysea, thanks for merging the topics!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2017, 11:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representati

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.