It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [2], given: 0

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2009, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

59% (01:45) correct 41% (01:31) wrong based on 45 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.
(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

Kudos [?]: 35 [2], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

Re: ancient clay: SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2009, 07:00
pls UNDERLINE

patedhav wrote:
A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.
(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2009, 10:58
Good question. IMO-C. this sentence is proposing theory I would use imperative speech here -that+verb(without infinitive). E is also quite close, quite difficult to solve under test..

On the closer look I felt that.. study provided evidence that supports
not study provided evidence of support
so C.
Again good question mate!! kudos to you.

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2009, 19:40
IMO A

(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that --> correct tense, that begins a clause which precisely modifies for meteorite impact
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact --> contributed after meteorite impact is implied in passive, incorrectly modifying for meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that --> the last that beginning a new clause which includes inappropriate tense of contributed in compared with supports of the prior clause; or if such new clause is parallel with the sub-clause "global forest ... meteorite impact", that clause also problematically modifies for global forest fires because global forest fires couldn't contribute to the extinction
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that -->in support of seems to indicate that recent study, not evidence, supports for the theory. Besides, the same error as (C)
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and --> of support for seems unidiomatic. Also, the rest of this choice alters the original meaning of the sentence

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 06:26
OA is B). As I have also selected C) while doing this question. Can anyone explain why OA is B? (this question is from 1000SC).

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 06:27
Bandit, please explain why B) is True?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 09:49
It's really B?? I herad that some answers in 1000SC are wrong

I picked C, because my understanding is that we need "that" that modifies "evidence"

It's true that "supporting" also modifies "evidence" but my experience says that when the modifier is so close, we have to use "that"

someone to confirm this?

Cheers

edited:
PLEASE UNDERLINE

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2009, 10:08
it was close between B and C , but I agree with B.

In C the use of "the theory of global forest fires" is wrong.

Theory it self is that "forest fires were ignited ....and they contributed....ago" .

But in C it looks like that sentence only describes the forest fires and doesnt tell anything about "theory"

If C were to right then it should be something like this

"that supports the theory that forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that they (forest fires) contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago."

A is also wrong because it uses "the theory of forest fires" . Also A suggests that "impact" and not the "fires".

In general we say something like this:

The evidence supports the theory that molecules are made of atoms.

and not like this:

The evidence supports the theory of molecules that molecules are made of atoms.

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 149 [1], given: 10

Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2009, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
patedhav wrote:
Bandit, please explain why B) is True?

Lets go choice by choice:

A. supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that.
Here I feel that the meaning comming from this is short. Means, supporting the
"theory of global forest fire" . What ever is written after this seems to modify "theory of global forest fire". Also the use of that is bit of confusing.

that supports........that were......and that.....
Too long

Here in support of is a correct usage. However the passive construction as in "global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact " is not preferred in GMAT. also the second that incirrectly separate one idea into two.

Same problem as A.

Here supporting correctly modifies the evidences that suport the theroy that......... (complete theory). Hence I guess its correct.

Please correct me whereever I have gone wrong

Kudos [?]: 149 [1], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2009, 18:39
It was close fight between B and C.

I was not sure how to choose then I looked closely and found that sencond that in C refers to meteroit which is resposible for extinction.

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 12:22
E is unidiomatic.
A and B, wrong verb tense.
C has ambiguous meaning.
So D is the correct answer.

Choose Life

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2009, 19:46
IMO B - the most concise and also grammatically correct.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 20:08
+1 for B.

The meaning of the sentence plays a big role in choosing between B and C. The original sentence wants to state that "fires caused extinction" vs the "meteorite impact caused extinction". B removes that ambiguity and clearly points to the "fires causing extinction" .

Crick

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1120 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 22:30
+1 B

The idiom is:
theory + THAT + clause
The clause describes the theory.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1120 [0], given: 109

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2011, 00:02
C gives an impression that the theory actually contributed to the fires. This is wrong.

A also does the same mistake as C.

Only B has right meaning conveyed without ambiguity.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 21

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 75

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2012, 04:59
25. A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.

My question: When TO use THAT &/ OR MODIFIER (for e.g. "that supports" or "supporting" . In many question , i face this dilemma. although most of the time , i found some other criteria to find the right answer.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 75

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2014, 06:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 11:37
patedhav wrote:
(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that----- GF contributed to the extinction of D , not the M impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that ------ Passive
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that------ evidence in is wrong usage , That refers to theory....so theory can contribute to D extinction
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and-------need 2nd that to state 2 functions of M impact .

Also if you read non underline part in the end ,you will understand that sentence id about the theory .....so the usage of that after theory is necessary.

way to victory .....

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 17

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 09:23
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Re: A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2017, 09:23

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap