GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2018, 03:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:31) correct 45% (01:31) wrong based on 410 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.

A. supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that

B. supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact

C. that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that

D. in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that

E. of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

Originally posted by corporate_monkey on 07 Jul 2004, 07:56.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Dec 2018, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 06:30
Apart from, Idiom and style, let’s see how far grammar can come to our aid in this case.
First: “That” is being used as relative pronoun in four choices. In Choice A, “that” refers to the impact; did the fires cause extinction or the impact caused the extinction? .Obviously the fires that were the result of the impact caused the destruction. .In E too, the causal agent is referred to as the impact. This is also wrong reference.
In C and D, what does the word ‘that’ used as a demonstrative pronoun refer to? A demonstrative pronoun such as “that” cannot be a bare pronoun.

So A, C, D and E are all out. Now what are we left with except B? That is the answer and shortest road to Rome :-D .
GMAT Club Legend
Re: A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2004, 12:47
Let's look at D:

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence in support of the theory
1- that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact
conjunction: "and"
2- that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago

as you can see, and would introduce a second restrictive clause. The second one starts with "that" but would not make any sense because how can the theory contribute to the extinction of...?

C is out because "evidence supporting" present particple is much more concise than "evidence that supports". Remember, GMAT is about conciness as well.

It is between A and B.
theory of: when it is a set of widely accepted theories/facts/principles
Ex: theory of relativity, theory of Darwin
theory that: a belief, a hypothesis
Ex: theory that apes are more intelligent than chimpanzees, theory that global forest fires... etc.

Paul
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2007, 05:38
corporate_monkey wrote:
A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided
new evidence supporting the theory of global forest
fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
contributed
to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other
creatures some 65 million years ago.

(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires
ignited by a meteorite impact that
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires
ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires
that were ignited by a meteorite impact and
that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires
were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact
that ignited global forest fires and

B.

A suggests that the meteorite impact is the contributor of extinction. This is not the intended meaning.

B is correct since B clearly shows that forest fires are the contributors of extinction.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 07:59
don2007 wrote:
Guys,

Please help??

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.

A. supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that

B. supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact

C. that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that

D. in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that

E. of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

A. Theory is not named as "theory of global forest fires"...
B. Hold it
C. Bad comparision ..It sounds as though theory had contributed to the extinction..
D.global forest contributed to to the extinction of the dinosaurs..not the theory.
E. Awkward.

IMO B
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2009, 20:13
Lets go choice by choice:

A. supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that.
Here I feel that the meaning comming from this is short. Means, supporting the
"theory of global forest fire" . What ever is written after this seems to modify "theory of global forest fire". Also the use of that is bit of confusing.

(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that

that supports........that were......and that.....
Too long

(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that

Here in support of is a correct usage. However the passive construction as in "global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact " is not preferred in GMAT. also the second that incirrectly separate one idea into two.

(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

Same problem as A.

(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact

Here supporting correctly modifies the evidences that suport the theroy that......... (complete theory). Hence I guess its correct.

Please correct me whereever I have gone wrong
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2014, 15:13
corporate_monkey wrote:
A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided
new evidence supporting the theory of global forest
fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
contributed
to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other
creatures some 65 million years ago.

(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires
ignited by a meteorite impact that
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires
ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires
that were ignited by a meteorite impact and
that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires
were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact
that ignited global forest fires and

We need the theory that...

Otherwise it would read like:

The theory of global forest fires? That's not the theory

The theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact... the whole clause is the theory

So A,C,E are out

Now between B and D

D is wrong because that 'and that' is totally unecessary and changes the intended meaning

Hence B stands

Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 15:16
Hi All,

First of all don't get distracted by "evidence that" in option C as I feel that has been placed as a distraction. Gmat generally test the knowledge of "evidence that" vs "evidence of", However this question does not test that concept primarily since this question is more meaning oriented. If you have any doubts regarding the "evidence that" vs "evidence of" concept, you can find a very crisp article by egmat in the following link : evidence-of-versus-evidence-that-171574.html

Anyway, coming back to the original question, I will suggest using the egmat 's 3 step approach and solving the question:

Meaning analysis: I have broken down the sentence and I suggest you pause after each line.

supporting the theory --> supporting modifies the evidence
of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact-- > The phrase in green color is providing more information about the fires
that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago. -- > contributed is supposed to modify forest fires

Error Analysis:

1. "Theory of" --> this is incorrect since global forest fire is not the name of the theory. What we intend to do is actually state the theory
2. " theory of global forest fires that contributed" -- "That" doesnt clearly refers to "fires" and makes the reader believe that the theory contributed to the extinction.

Answers analysis:

(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that --> Explained in the error analysis

(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact -- > clearly addresses all the mistakes in the original question

(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that --> "theory of" is incorrect as explained in the error analysis

(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that --> Here there the second "that" again refers to the theory and incorrectly implies that the theory contributed to extinction

(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and--> There are more than one problems in this statement but " theory of" is good enough to strike this off
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 03:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2018, 03:02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap