GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2012, 01:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:51) correct 37% (00:57) wrong based on 527 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact that may explain the decline of several Maya cities.

(A) can threaten the very life
(B) is able to threaten the very life
(C) can be very threatening for the life
(D) may threaten some of the very lives
(E) can threaten some of the very lives

What's the difference between a and e? why isn't e the answer?

Please, post your answer with reasoning!! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2012, 19:26
+1 for A.

Collective noun (community) is treated as singular. Hence all choices with lives are incorrect.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Re: A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2012, 13:39
but i feel there is an error in all the options .The use of can is wrong in the above sentence .Can is generally used to denote ability .ex .I can walk . The use of may is more appropriate .This i remember reading long long back :) nostalgia :D

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
saikarthikreddy wrote:
but i feel there is an error in all the options .The use of can is wrong in the above sentence .Can is generally used to denote ability .ex .I can walk . The use of may is more appropriate .This i remember reading long long back :) nostalgia :D

Here we are referring to the ability of "scarcity of salt" to be a "threat to life".

eg Smoking can cause lung Cancer.

Crick
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2012, 23:27
in choice E, lives = not Noun, the correct noun is alive, but this word is not the intended meaning of the author.

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 00:35
The correct answer is A. As " Community" is singular it should be life of community not lives of community.
Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 02:41
live not lives is required..
also threatning some of the lives is not what the actual sentence intend to convey.
+1 A

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 23:31
I marked C . I do not get that what wrong with C?

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer. -- Albert Einstein
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 19:26
GMATNinja Can you please explain why C is wrong? I thought C was better than A since in A, it appears that "A scarcity of salt" is doing the action of "can threaten".
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Queen's MBA'20

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 04:53
can anyone pls explain why option C is wrong?
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 07:02
hsn81960 wrote:
can anyone pls explain why option C is wrong?

Hi hsn81960, at the very least, C is changing the meaning of the original sentence, since in C, very is modifying threatening, while the intent is to convey very life.
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 00:08
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact that may explain the decline of several Maya cities.

A) can threaten the very life - No error as per the grammatical formation
B)is able to threaten the very life - Shown as a person possesses a skill, seemed wrong to say it like that.
C)can be very threatening for the life - Emphasis change , Very is emphasizing now on how dangerous it would be rather than on what it could be dangerous for as intended in the original sentence.
D)may threaten some of the very lives - some of the very lives is wrong - SV error - as community is singular
E)can threaten some of the very lives - similar as D
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 00:56
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very lifeof a community, a fact that may explain the decline of several Maya cities.

MartyTargetTestPrep

I understand how C, B, and D are incorrect, but I incorrectly selected E.

If E were "can threaten some of the very lives within a community" then it would have been correct, right?

Is this down to an SV Agreement issue? "the very life of [collective noun]?

After looking at this for a bit, I also see that E changes the logical meaning of with "some" by limiting the threat. I.e. instead of threatening all people, we threaten some people.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 02:24
eybrj2 wrote:

A) Looks good with no apparent error. Communicates a fact as required by the original meaning of sentence. Lets keep it
B) We are not talking about the ability of "scarcity of salt" here, we need a valid fact
C) Meaning Error. Scarcity is not a goon who is threatening someone
D)Facts have to be said with surety. "May" does not make a sentence a fact. D is out
E) "some of the very lives" is too awful to be even considered.

Hence, A is correct
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 05:09
dcummins wrote:
I understand how C, B, and D are incorrect, but I incorrectly selected E.

If E were "can threaten some of the very lives within a community" then it would have been correct, right?

"Some of the very lives within a community" is a bit sketchy.

In this context, "the very" means something along the lines of "the actual." So, the expression "the very life" makes sense, because it conveys "the actual life." In the version created via the use of (A), "the very" emphasizes the fact that a scarcity of salt can threaten the life of a community. It says that a scarcity of salt can threaten the actual life of the community.

The expression "some of the very lives" therefore is somewhat the same as "some of the actual lives." However, since the translation from "very" to "actual" is not exact, and since "very" is more just used for emphasis, rather than as a normal adjective, there is not really such a thing as a "very life." Nobody says, "The people in Smithtown lead very lives." So we wouldn't say "some very lives," and so, while we could argue that "some of the very lives" is somewhat logical, somehow that expression doesn't quite make sense.

Quote:
Is this down to an SV Agreement issue? "the very life of [collective noun]?

After looking at this for a bit, I also see that E changes the logical meaning of with "some" by limiting the threat. I.e. instead of threatening all people, we threaten some people.

In addition to the "some of the very" issue described above, this version conveys an unclear meaning. Does "very lives" refer to the lives of people within a community? Does it imply that a community itself has multiple lives, as a cat supposedly does? What exactly does this version convey?

By the way, the idea that there is some "intended meaning" of a sentence in a Sentence Correction question and that a version that "changes the meaning" is therefore incorrect is a misconception. A version that effectively conveys any meaning that makes sense is correct. End of story.

Overall, to perform at a high level in Sentence Correction, you have to go well beyond looking for rule infractions. For example, to see why the version created via the use of (E) is incorrect, you have to analyze the sentence holistically and see why it's illogical in multiple ways unique to that particular sentence.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 07:19
I don't understand why C is wrong over A. VERY LIFE is awkward than VERY THREATENING.
Can you help in my understanding?

" I CAN AND I WILL"
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 03:44
eybrj2 wrote:

this is not from official source. I never go deep into the unofficial source. however, I get some ideas for this problem.

look at choice D and E. if the scarity can/may threaten some of the lives of a community, it can NOT explain the decline of the Maya cities. so, the first part of the sentence can not fit with " a fact, that..." logically.

if the scarity can threanten all the life of a community, not a few lives of persons in that community, it can explain whay some Maya cities decline. so meaning in choice A is good.

choice B. "is able" show a qualification, not a possibility. this meaning is not fit inhere.

choice C is wordy. moreover, "threatening" is a process of threaten, so, this meaning of a process is not fit inhere.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kellogg, Booth, CBS
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.52
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 01:04
eybrj2 wrote:

Adding to why C is wrong- So firstly, as many people have stated, C changes the meaning of the sentence by emphasising on threatening rather than on life. Secondly, it should be 'threatening to', 'threatening for' is wrong idiom.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 01:36
There's an idiom here that many people may not know. To "do X to the very Y" of something means to go all the way to something absolute or essential (described by Y):

He cut to the very heart of the matter. (Meaning, he went directly toward discussing the central or most important idea at hand.)
This law threatens the very existence of our company. (This law is such a threat that it may wipe our company out of existence.)

So A and B are saying something that the other choices only play around with: that a scarcity of salt is so dangerous that it may snuff out the life of an entire community. While there is nothing inherently wrong with using "very" in another way in C--we can't say that C "changes the meaning" any more than A does--it does appear that the use of "very" here is just to prey on those who are confused by its use in A and B. It's not entirely clear what "threatening for the life" would mean.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2019, 01:36

A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics