Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7798 [34]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [6]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Re: A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact [#permalink]
but i feel there is an error in all the options .The use of can is wrong in the above sentence .Can is generally used to denote ability .ex .I can walk . The use of may is more appropriate .This i remember reading long long back :) nostalgia :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact [#permalink]
saikarthikreddy wrote:
but i feel there is an error in all the options .The use of can is wrong in the above sentence .Can is generally used to denote ability .ex .I can walk . The use of may is more appropriate .This i remember reading long long back :) nostalgia :D

Here we are referring to the ability of "scarcity of salt" to be a "threat to life".

eg Smoking can cause lung Cancer.

Crick
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [3]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
in choice E, lives = not Noun, the correct noun is alive, but this word is not the intended meaning of the author.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
The correct answer is A. As " Community" is singular it should be life of community not lives of community.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
live not lives is required..
also threatning some of the lives is not what the actual sentence intend to convey.
+1 A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
Send PM
I marked C . I do not get that what wrong with C?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
GMATNinja Can you please explain why C is wrong? I thought C was better than A since in A, it appears that "A scarcity of salt" is doing the action of "can threaten".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
can anyone pls explain why option C is wrong?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hsn81960 wrote:
can anyone pls explain why option C is wrong?

Hi hsn81960, at the very least, C is changing the meaning of the original sentence, since in C, very is modifying threatening, while the intent is to convey very life.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact that may explain the decline of several Maya cities.

A) can threaten the very life - No error as per the grammatical formation
B)is able to threaten the very life - Shown as a person possesses a skill, seemed wrong to say it like that.
C)can be very threatening for the life - Emphasis change , Very is emphasizing now on how dangerous it would be rather than on what it could be dangerous for as intended in the original sentence.
D)may threaten some of the very lives - some of the very lives is wrong - SV error - as community is singular
E)can threaten some of the very lives - similar as D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very lifeof a community, a fact that may explain the decline of several Maya cities.

(A) can threaten the very life
(C) can be very threatening for the life
(B) is able to threaten the very life
(D) may threaten some of the very lives
(E) can threaten some of the very lives

MartyTargetTestPrep

I understand how C, B, and D are incorrect, but I incorrectly selected E.

If E were "can threaten some of the very lives within a community" then it would have been correct, right?

Is this down to an SV Agreement issue? "the very life of [collective noun]?

After looking at this for a bit, I also see that E changes the logical meaning of with "some" by limiting the threat. I.e. instead of threatening all people, we threaten some people.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact that may explain the decline of several Maya cities.

What's the difference between a and e? why isn't e the answer?

Please, post your answer with reasoning!! :-D

A) Looks good with no apparent error. Communicates a fact as required by the original meaning of sentence. Lets keep it
B) We are not talking about the ability of "scarcity of salt" here, we need a valid fact
C) Meaning Error. Scarcity is not a goon who is threatening someone
D)Facts have to be said with surety. "May" does not make a sentence a fact. D is out
E) "some of the very lives" is too awful to be even considered.

Hence, A is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I don't understand why C is wrong over A. VERY LIFE is awkward than VERY THREATENING.
Can you help in my understanding?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:

this is not from official source. I never go deep into the unofficial source. however, I get some ideas for this problem.

look at choice D and E. if the scarity can/may threaten some of the lives of a community, it can NOT explain the decline of the Maya cities. so, the first part of the sentence can not fit with " a fact, that..." logically.

if the scarity can threanten all the life of a community, not a few lives of persons in that community, it can explain whay some Maya cities decline. so meaning in choice A is good.

choice B. "is able" show a qualification, not a possibility. this meaning is not fit inhere.

choice C is wordy. moreover, "threatening" is a process of threaten, so, this meaning of a process is not fit inhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
A scarcity of salt can threaten the very life of a community, a fact [#permalink]
Kudos
eybrj2 wrote:

Adding to why C is wrong- So firstly, as many people have stated, C changes the meaning of the sentence by emphasising on threatening rather than on life. Secondly, it should be 'threatening to', 'threatening for' is wrong idiom.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
There's an idiom here that many people may not know. To "do X to the very Y" of something means to go all the way to something absolute or essential (described by Y):

He cut to the very heart of the matter. (Meaning, he went directly toward discussing the central or most important idea at hand.)
This law threatens the very existence of our company. (This law is such a threat that it may wipe our company out of existence.)

So A and B are saying something that the other choices only play around with: that a scarcity of salt is so dangerous that it may snuff out the life of an entire community. While there is nothing inherently wrong with using "very" in another way in C--we can't say that C "changes the meaning" any more than A does--it does appear that the use of "very" here is just to prey on those who are confused by its use in A and B. It's not entirely clear what "threatening for the life" would mean.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts