It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 0

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2007, 11:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (00:34) correct 23% (00:39) wrong based on 447 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

(A) which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing

(B) which includes establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught, closing

(C) which include the establishment of size limits for shark catches, the closing of

(D) including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing

(E) including the establishing of limits to the size of sharks that are caught, the closing of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 19 Oct 2017, 07:12, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [1], given: 0

Re: A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2007, 13:50
This post received
KUDOS
i'll go for D
in C 'which' refers to population but infact it shud refer to remedies..
D has correct parallelism establishing, closing, requiring

Kudos [?]: 128 [1], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

Re: A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2007, 15:11
singh_amit19 wrote:
A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring
commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

A. which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing
B. which includes establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught, closing
C. which include the establishment of size limits for shark catches, the closing of
D. including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing
E. including the establishing of limits to the size of sharks that are caught, the closing of

I picked C - seems OK to me...thoughts????

I think it is all about parallelism here, ...-ing. I will go with D
which* is redundant

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring...

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2007, 19:08
some of the choices seem to change the meaning , for example:

1. establishing size limits for shark catches --> to me, means a limit on the AMOUNT of shark that can be caught

2. establishing limits on the size of shark --> presented in E for example ...

does anyone else see this ?

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 2

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:15
singh_amit19 wrote:
A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring
commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

A. which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing
B. which includes establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught, closing
C. which include the establishment of size limits for shark catches, the closing of
D. including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing
E. including the establishing of limits to the size of sharks that are caught, the closing of

I picked C - seems OK to me...thoughts????

D.

Elim ABC right away improper use of "which"

E. not ||. the establishing... the closing... and requiring should be "the requiring"

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2010, 11:35
'a number of ...." always takes a plural verb form so A and B goes. C is not parallel.
E is wordy/awkward.
So we are left with D

Once again, correct me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2013, 21:12
Please explain that why 'which' is used improperly?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 16

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 115

GPA: 2.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2013, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
superchor wrote:
Please explain that why 'which' is used improperly?

"Which" is a relative pronoun that describes about the noun that is just before it. In this case, the noun that is just before "which" is "shark population" however, the author intends to point to the "remedies". This is the reason that "which" is not properly used here.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 115

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [2], given: 42

GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2013, 14:19
This post received
KUDOS
in this sentence which is referring to remidies but it cannot be placed next to remedies so use including which modifies the entire clause.

Kudos [?]: 34 [2], given: 42

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2015, 22:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 11:00

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 255

Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19, Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 04:32
VerbalBot wrote:

Why is it not E

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 255

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 226 [1], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
This sentence has parallelism error. The list is not parallel. Since 3rd element of the list is not underlined, elements 1 and 2 should follow the structure of element 3. Thus, all elements should be verb-ing forms as follows:

1) establishing size limits for shark catches
2) closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season
3) requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits
This sentence also has modifier error. The modifier “which includes…” modifies the closest noun or noun phrase. In this sentence, it does not make sense for the “which modifier” providing list of remedies to modify either the noun phrase “decline in shark population” or the noun “the shark population”.

In A and B, the singular verb includes implies that the pronoun which refers either to the singular noun decline or to the singular noun population, but neither the decline nor the population is including the list of remedies that follows. Eliminate A and B.
C and E lack parallelism: the establishment of (the + noun + preposition), the establishing of (the + gerund + preposition), and the closing of (the + gerund + preposition) are not parallel with requiring commercial fishers (gerund + direct object). Eliminate C and E.
The correct answer is D.
D is correct primarily because A, B, C and E each have a clear error.
In D, including and establishing are performing different functions.

Generally, when a present participle (such as including) is preceded by a comma, it refers to the subject of the previous clause. It could be argued that including refers to the study: the study is including -- among the remedies that it recommends -- establishing size limits, closing state waters, and requiring fishers to have permits.
Establishing is not a present participle but a gerund (a verb functioning as a noun). Establishing size limits is one of the remedies that the study is including.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 226 [1], given: 855

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 01:38
I think D is the correct answer.

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 350

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 854

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 00:56
anairamitch1804 wrote:
This sentence has parallelism error. The list is not parallel. Since 3rd element of the list is not underlined, elements 1 and 2 should follow the structure of element 3. Thus, all elements should be verb-ing forms as follows:

1) establishing size limits for shark catches
2) closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season
3) requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits
This sentence also has modifier error. The modifier “which includes…” modifies the closest noun or noun phrase. In this sentence, it does not make sense for the “which modifier” providing list of remedies to modify either the noun phrase “decline in shark population” or the noun “the shark population”.

In A and B, the singular verb includes implies that the pronoun which refers either to the singular noun decline or to the singular noun population, but neither the decline nor the population is including the list of remedies that follows. Eliminate A and B.
C and E lack parallelism: the establishment of (the + noun + preposition), the establishing of (the + gerund + preposition), and the closing of (the + gerund + preposition) are not parallel with requiring commercial fishers (gerund + direct object). Eliminate C and E.
The correct answer is D.
D is correct primarily because A, B, C and E each have a clear error.
In D, including and establishing are performing different functions.

Generally, when a present participle (such as including) is preceded by a comma, it refers to the subject of the previous clause. It could be argued that including refers to the study: the study is including -- among the remedies that it recommends -- establishing size limits, closing state waters, and requiring fishers to have permits.
Establishing is not a present participle but a gerund (a verb functioning as a noun). Establishing size limits is one of the remedies that the study is including.

I agree with D as the correct answer only because it is better than all the others. But I do have a question regarding its grammatical correctness. The problem is with "including".

This has been used at the end of the main clause to tell something extra about the clause. But from what I've read in MGMAT and e-GMAT, if a Verb-ing nodifier is placed at the end of a sentence, then it can do only the following:-
1. Tell us about the result of an action in the clause.
2. Tell us something extra about a verb in the clause.

In this sentence, "including" is doing none of these, but is used to modify a noun in the preceding clause. Is there some grammatical knowledge that I'm missing? Please help.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 854

Re: A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2017, 00:56

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap