GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 05:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 10:26
Hi?

Please correct my reasoning abt A.

Is it wrong because a verbing should be able to make sense with the subject of the clause i.e Creature of seabed.
And according to it the creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, and this possibly resulting from increasing sea temp.
so it would be wrong as it doesn't make sense.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 19:50
Prashant10692 wrote:
Hi?

Please correct my reasoning abt A.

Is it wrong because a verbing should be able to make sense with the subject of the clause i.e Creature of seabed.
And according to it the creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, and this possibly resulting from increasing sea temp.
so it would be wrong as it doesn't make sense.

Hi Prashant10692!

I'm happy to jump in for Mike :-) Yes, that's definitely a way that we could think about this! That is correct :-) If we are referring to the entire clause (rather than only the subject of the clause), then we want to use something like "a fact which resulted from", or "as a result of", which choice B correctly uses.

-Carolyn
D
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 20:45
laxieqv wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

(A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing - Meaning: Food supplies does not cause suffering.

(B) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

(C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing - Meaning: Food supplies does not cause suffering.

(D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in - Meaning issue. "that" should come before "creatures of the seabed".

(E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing - Meaning issue. "that" should come before "creatures of the seabed".

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 13:01
laxieqv wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

(A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

(B) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

(C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

(D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

(E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 34: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Spoiler: :: nytimes article
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/01/science/the-diverse-creatures-of-the-deep-may-be-starving.html

Hordes of creatures living in the hidden depths of the deep sea are in danger of starving to death, scientists report. This remote part of the planet is believed to harbor millions of undiscovered species, an unknown number of which may be in crisis.

A study of food supply and demand miles down in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 found that creatures of the seabed suffered from growing food shortages. A likely culprit, scientists say, is a documented increase in sea surface temperatures during the same period.

''If the food deficit continues, it is going to change the configuration of the deep-sea communities,'' said Kenneth L. Smith Jr., a biologist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in San Diego and a co-author of the report, which was published recently in Science. ''Some species will die out while those that can survive on a very low food supply will still be able to maintain themselves.''

A, C, and D are wrong because they imply that the creatures are suffering from the food supplies, not the fact that they were dwindling. E is awkwardly phrased, so B is the best option.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 01:26
[quote="laxieqv"]A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

(A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

(C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

(D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

(E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

if gmat test us meaning, this means we have to solve meaning problem more than realize the grammatical sentence pattern. this means we will face 2 patterns of sentence which are both grammatical but only one of them is logic.

both "reveal +noun" and 'reveal +that clause" exist in english grammat. So, both "reveal the creatures" and "reveal that creatures suffer" are grammatical. but the point is which pattern is logic in the context of sentence.

when the object of a verb is changed from an idea prepresented by "that-clause" to a concrete phisical thing or animal presented by a concreted noun, the meaning is changed and can be illogic. i do not say that this change alway makes an illogic meaning. i will give an example latter.

it is not logic to say " a study reveal creature that were suffering" but it is logic to say " a study reveal that creatures were suffering". similarly, it is not logic to say that " creatures were suffering because of food suply" . it is logic to say " creatures were suffering because food supply is dwindling"

it is also logic to say

creatures were suffering because of the bad weather

notice that we use a noun "bad weather", not a "that clause" to complement sentence. I want to say that both noun and "that clause" as object can be correct , depending on logic.

the point of this problem is the change of object from an "that clause" to a noun which makes an illogic meaning.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 07:33
is the use of verb-ing (resulting) modifier in option A correct ?

As far as i know when a verb-ing modifier is used for modifying action, the modifier and the action should have the same doer. should this concept be applicable for all the verb-ing modifiers which are used to modify actions?
please correct me.
thanks,
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 07:45
blueseas wrote:
Dhairya275 wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1986 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

A. that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
B. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
C. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
D. creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
E. creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

IMO B
SOME THEORIES:
-verb-ing =>when followed by a (clause+comma) either modify -whole clause or -show result .
-which =>this can never refer to whole clause it either refers to noun or noun phrase.

A. that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
WRONG.
-Dwindling food supplies =>it seems that food supplies were dwindling by itself.=>illigical.
-wrong usage of verb-ing after (clause+comma)=>neither showing result of previous clause nor describing previous clause.

B. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
RIGHT.

C. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
WRONG.
-The part starting from WHICH WERE..{...}is acting as a modifier..now if you remove this modifier you can easily see that sentence is incomplete hence a fragment.

D. creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
WRONG.
-Lack of THAT after revealed..(revealed that ...)
-again same as C its a fragment.

E. creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
WRONG.
-use of which is wrong....as we know which cant refer to a CLAUSE hence it is either refering to FOOD SUPPLIES or DWINDLING(not a noun)..in both cases sentence doesnt makes sense.

hence B

Hi,
i am having a small doubt about the use of Verb-ing modifier. as far as i i know it can used to modify the nouns or the action in the preceding clause.
when a verb-ing modifier is used to modify action of a preceding clause
1. The doer (subject) should be same for the action and the modifier but when a verb-ing modifier is used to provide result is it necessary that the modifier should have the same subject(doer)?

thanks,
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 10:40
thaya wrote:
Hi,
i am having a small doubt about the use of Verb-ing modifier. as far as i i know it can used to modify the nouns or the action in the preceding clause.
when a verb-ing modifier is used to modify action of a preceding clause
1. The doer (subject) should be same for the action and the modifier but when a verb-ing modifier is used to provide result is it necessary that the modifier should have the same subject(doer)?

thanks,

Important distinction here: when verb-ing follows a comma and a clause, it generally modifies the entire previous clause, providing either a consequence of the previous action, or additional context for that action. Now, you'd probably keep the subject of that action in mind when evaluating the verb-ing modifier, but it isn't strictly correct to claim that verb-ing is modifying the subject directly. For example:

"While Tim was giving a speech about the importance of eye contact, he began bleeding out of his left cornea, terrifying all the children in the kindergarten class."

This usage is fine, but it's not fully correct to say that Tim terrified the children - he didn't show up to this school dressed as a ghost. It's more precise to claim that the fact that his cornea started bleeding, the action, led to the children being terrified.

The takeaway: when you see "comma + verb-ing" don't ask yourself if it makes sense for verb-ing to directly modify the previous subject. Ask yourself if it's logical for verb-ing to offer a consequence or context for the action that the subject is performing.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 10:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics