Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [20]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [8]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Re: A team of scientists has recently provided evidence of Earth [#permalink]
Thanks for clarifying! My analysis for meaning issue in option C the sentence is now stating that there could be an equal number or greater number whereas the original sentence states that as many as 40,000 small comets

Another issue with C is much vs many

Zarrolou wrote:

Great analysis so far.

A team of scientists has recently provided evidence of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to fall to Earth as rain.

C is wrong because uses an icomplete idiom "as much as" is the correct one: "as much ?" is not complete

(C) that as much or more than 40,000 small comets daily bombard Earth, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere, and

I am not sure of what meaning issue you are refering to, but "vaporizing" is not ambiguos. It's not correct but it's not ambiguos
"vaporizing" as COMMA +ING modifes the preceding clause and it usually provides additional info/ explains the clause or shows the consequences
usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html
It must also make sense with the subject, and here it does not "scientists - vaporizing "

Also it is not parallel to the next verb "fall" : vaporizing in the upper atmosphere, and fall
since both verbs refer to the comets, they must be parallel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
fozzzy wrote:
A team of scientists has recently provided evidence of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to fall to Earth as rain.

(A) of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to
(B) of Earth's being daily bombarded with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere and that
(C) that as much or more than 40,000 small comets daily bombard Earth, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere, and
(D) that daily Earth is bombarded with as much or more than 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and that
(E) that Earth is bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and

Evidence you need a "that" so A and B are out. Option D has daily earth this is nonsensical. I have a question regarding option C its incorrect because of meaning issue and vaporizing is ambiguous?

A team of scientists has recently provided evidence that Earth is bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and fall to Earth as rain.

Answer must be option (E) for the highlighted errors in red.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
A team of scientists has recently provided evidence of Earth [#permalink]
evidence of is wrong. evidence that is correct.
Quote:
(A) of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to

wrong because of the above stated reason.
Quote:
(B) of Earth's being daily bombarded with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere and that

same as (A)
Quote:

as much or more than? who writes like this?
Quote:
(D) that daily Earth is bombarded with as much or more than 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and that

unnecessary parallelism. (E) conveys the message way better.
Quote:
(E) that Earth is bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM

Option D vs E . " as much or more than 40000" comets " vs " as many as 40000 small comets"
Note that Many is used for countable nouns , relate with the proverb " Too many cooks spoil the dish" .
We all know that this proverb is both grammatically and generally true , since cooks are countable so by reverse engineering many should be used for countable nouns.
Here in the given question comets are countable so we should use "as many as "
E wins
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Hi experts,

I was stuck between (A) and (E). I thought that the correct idiom was "evidence of" vs. "evidence that". However, I see that with (A) the "vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to" modifier seems to be modifying "a team of scientists" and that cannot be correct. I would be so appreciative to confirm if it is more idiomatic to say, "evidence that" and if my understanding as to why (A) is incorrect is right. Thank you in advance.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921

The tricky thing about idioms is that it's completely normal to see words that can be used in more than one way. We say "evidence of" to introduce a noun:
"There was evidence of tampering on the fusebox." We say "evidence that" to introduce a clause: "There was evidence that someone had tampered with the fusebox."

This is a very normal kind of split to see. Either one COULD work, if it were followed up in the right way. A doesn't work because we don't have "evidence of Earth," we have evidence of a situation: "Earth being bombarded." This doesn't work with "evidence of," and is one more way that the GMAT uses "being" to create bad choices. Generally, if you choose an answer with "being," you had better be really sure all the other choices are wrong! E, meanwhile, appropriately follows "evidence that" with a clause: "Earth is bombarded."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts