Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2007 [90]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [21]
Given Kudos: 91
Schools: HBS '18 IIMA
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT Date: 02-08-2015
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A train traveled from Station A to Station B at an average speed of 80 [#permalink]
Is there a quicker way to see that the distance variable cancels out, rather than going through the entire algebraic calculation? I made the assumption that the variable would remain, and struggle to finish in ~ 2 minutes once I start getting into algebra for DS questions. Thanks..
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31947 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: A train traveled from Station A to Station B at an average speed of 80 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ElCorazon wrote:
Is there a quicker way to see that the distance variable cancels out, rather than going through the entire algebraic calculation? I made the assumption that the variable would remain, and struggle to finish in ~ 2 minutes once I start getting into algebra for DS questions. Thanks..

Hi ElCorazon,
the Q stem tells us the speed in two different routes and asks us the average speed..
for this we require the distance or the ratio of distances..
lets see the statement..
1)statement 1 gives us the ratio of distance .. so sufficient..
2) statement two tells us the ratio of time so multiplying this ratio with speed would give us the ratio of distance .. again sufficient

ans D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [8]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ElCorazon,

The 'goal' to try to answer each Quant question in under 2 minutes is NOT practical. While some questions can be solved relatively quickly (in under 30 seconds), certain questions are designed to take longer to solve (upwards of 3 minutes, and that's if you KNOW what you're doing). These types of "multi-step trip" questions are usually wordier, take more steps to solve and require a higher degree of organization and attention-to-detail than most prompts, so it's understandable that you would need MORE than 2 minutes to solve it.

Instead of having a "2 minutes or less" goal, focus more on your overall efficiency - you should try to get this question correct without wasting time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ElCorazon,

The 'goal' to try to answer each Quant question in under 2 minutes is NOT practical. While some questions can be solved relatively quickly (in under 30 seconds), certain questions are designed to take longer to solve (upwards of 3 minutes, and that's if you KNOW what you're doing). These types of "multi-step trip" questions are usually wordier, take more steps to solve and require a higher degree of organization and attention-to-detail than most prompts, so it's understandable that you would need MORE than 2 minutes to solve it.

Instead of having a "2 minutes or less" goal, focus more on your overall efficiency - you should try to get this question correct without wasting time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich!
I watched EMPOWERGmat course and you said that if we have a ratios that means that statement is sufficient. Hence answer is D. Do i think logically?=))
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This question is not correct, because the statements conflict each other. It is impossible that, given A to B is 80 mph and B to C is 60 mph, both of these statements could be true. Think about this example:

Statement 1 - assume distance from A to C is 320 miles. Because A to C is 4x B to C, then A to B is 3x B to C. Its a 3:1 ratio in the distances. Therefore we have 240 miles from A to B and 80 miles from B to C. That leaves us with time of 3 hours from A to B and time of 1 hour 20 minutes from B to C.

Statement 2- this can't be possible given what we just figured out in statement 1. 3:1.33 does not equal 3:1.

The question is flawed.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619160 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
This question is not correct, because the statements conflict each other. It is impossible that, given A to B is 80 mph and B to C is 60 mph, both of these statements could be true. Think about this example:

Statement 1 - assume distance from A to C is 320 miles. Because A to C is 4x B to C, then A to B is 3x B to C. Its a 3:1 ratio in the distances. Therefore we have 240 miles from A to B and 80 miles from B to C. That leaves us with time of 3 hours from A to B and time of 1 hour 20 minutes from B to C.

Statement 2- this can't be possible given what we just figured out in statement 1. 3:1.33 does not equal 3:1.

The question is flawed.

Thank you for noticing this. Edited the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
ElCorazon wrote:

Hi ElCorazon,
the Q stem tells us the speed in two different routes and asks us the average speed..
for this we require the distance or the ratio of distances..
lets see the statement..
1)statement 1 gives us the ratio of distance .. so sufficient..
2) statement two tells us the ratio of time so multiplying this ratio with speed would give us the ratio of distance .. again sufficient

ans D

Hello Sir,

I have understood the question and the answer to it. However, this question has put questions on my understanding.

For "Averages", we take the ratios. I have always understood that when it is average speeds, ratio of "time" needs to be taken and not the ratio of "distances". But here by ratio of distances, we are able to arrive at the average speed. Has my understanding been wrong?

Please assist.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619160 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
dhanush95 wrote:
iam unable to see the options in the question

This is a data sufficiency question. Options for DS questions are always the same.

The data sufficiency problem consists of a question and two statements, labeled (1) and (2), in which certain data are given. You have to decide whether the data given in the statements are sufficient for answering the question. Using the data given in the statements, plus your knowledge of mathematics and everyday facts (such as the number of days in July or the meaning of the word counterclockwise), you must indicate whether—

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
C. BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

I suggest you to go through the following posts:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT.
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [2]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos