GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Feb 2019, 23:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

08:00 PM EST

09:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

A week before GMAT- demotivated and lost

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
A week before GMAT- demotivated and lost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jan 2019, 05:11
Hi all- this is my first post here. I have some special circumstances under which I pretty much have a spot at one of the best business schools but the only thing left for them to see is my GMAT score. It has been implied that as long as I ‘don’t bomb’ my GMAT, my admission should not be a problem. I found out about my placement a month ago and since then I have been studying for GMAT. I have taken practice tests on Veritas, and GMAT official practice tests. My scores have been in the following order:
Veritas:
1. 580
2. 560 (this was a month after the first test)
3. 590 (a week after the previous one)
GMAT official prep:
4. 640 (taken a week after the previous test)
5. 540 (taken a day after the previous test)

I’m bummed that my score dropped to 540 today and my GMAT exam is in one week. I feel demotivated and have no idea where I stand with this fluctuation of scores. I just need somewhere around 650 to be ok with this admission.

Please advise what to expect with this score variation and how to prep in the next one week. My verbal is strong (I score in 80-85 percentile) but the best in quant I got was 41 and that’s it.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by gmatt2019 on 25 Jan 2019, 14:05.
Last edited by gmatt2019 on 26 Jan 2019, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior DS Moderator
V
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A week before GMAT- demotivated and lost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 22:48
Hi
GMAT is more of a Psychometric test so being calm and composed is more important.
Do not freak out on your mock score, believe me you can score a significantly good score if you control your mind from being anxious.
Do not give any more mocks now. Focus only on official Questions and error logs during last days before the GMAT.
If you have specific doubts, feel free to reach out.

Best of luck

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 22:59
Agree with gmatbusters , official questions only + error review in the last few days. You will find the complete list of GMAT prep questions for review here. ( attaching CR, there are similar posts for SC,PS&DS)

Also, don't forget to revise formulae for math using the GMAT Club math book - downloadable PDF here.

Keep calm, you are in the last lap of your GMAT journey and you don't want to give up now :-)

Good luck!

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 05:06
gmatt2019 wrote:
Hi all- this is my first post here. I have special circumstances under which I pretty much have a spot at one of best business schools but the only thing left for them to see is my GMAT score. It has been implied that as long as I ‘don’t bomb’ my GMAT, my admission should not be a problem. I found out about my placement a month ago and since then I have been studying for GMAT. I have taken practice tests on Veritas, and GMAT official practice tests. My scores have been in the following order:
Veritas:
1. 580
2. 560 (this was a month after the first test)
3. 590 (a week after the previous one)
GMAT official prep:
4. 640 (taken a week after the previous test)
5. 540 (taken a day after the previous test)

I’m bummed that my score dropped to 540 today and my GMAT exam is in one week. I feel demotivated and have no idea where I stand with this fluctuation of scores. I just need somewhere around 650 to be ok with this admission.

Please advise what to expect with this score variation and how to prep in the next one week. My verbal is strong (I score in 80-85 percentile) but the best in quant I got was 41 and that’s it.

If possible postpone your exam. I have been through such a situation when my scores showed a fluctuating trend. I still took the exam and did not perform well even after trying really hard- solved all the OG questions from OG-13 to OG-17, revisited all the fundamentals, etc. The final score of my exam was exact average of the scores of two GMAT Prep exams I took. It might sound disappointing but I would suggest to postpone the exam for a small period so that you can re-visit the basics and become doubly sure of getting your target score. I even talked to some of my seniors/colleagues who took the GMAT and all of them told me that GMAT prep exam scores work as actual reflection of your preparation. Anyway decision is upto you. All the best !!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 06:01
Thanks all for your sincere advice and feedback.

gmatbusters: sorry I don’t know how to tag :) thanks so much for your encourage reply. It makes me feel better.

Gladiator59: omg thanks so much for sharing the material! I will definitely use it as my final week prep.

NRJ11090: unfortunately I can’t postpone it as my deadline to submit the unofficial score is the week after my test.

I do think that my last test was an anomaly as I was mostly checked out and wanted the test to just end. Since I had taken it just a day after the previous mock, I was trying too hard to finish quick. I finished my test 30 min before the end time.

Is it sensible to take one more official practice test? Just so that I can feel better maybe after learning from my mistakes? Or is it still a bad idea?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 06:22
I’m clearly nervous-typing at this point hence the typos lol. I meant ‘encouraging reply’ in my previous post.

Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 07:00
gmatt2019, it's normal being nervous.

I think you should try to give a full length GMAT prep exam after a few days ( post revision and review of questions) in full exam like condition.
I.e with AWA & IR and the 8 mins breaks...to get a boost in confidence. Focus on getting the practice and not on the scores as it could lead to you stressing more or wasting time.

Stay calm and remember that 7 days is sufficient time to revise. :-)

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 07:12
gmatt2019 wrote:
I’m clearly nervous-typing at this point hence the typos lol. I meant ‘encouraging reply’ in my previous post.

Cheer up and prepare well. Use your time judiciously. Eat, sleep, drink and dream GMAT :D . Practice hard and go get your target score :)
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 07:51
Hi gmatt2019,

Welcome to gmatclub!

Try to analyze what went wrong with your second attempt:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-format-g ... ml?fl=menu

IMO, the best thing you can do is to keep calm. Stress can negatively affect your performance. What's the worst thing that will happen if you bomb your test? Accept that, and you might feel relief.
After that, keep on working, sleep well before the test and do your best on the test day. It worked for me.

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 13:05
Relax!!! One week out from your test, trying to learn new material is counterproductive. All it will do is wear out your brain and make it harder to focus on test day. You know everything you need to know: now, focus on getting the best score you possibly can, using that knowledge. Here are some things you can think about in the next week:

- Do you have your timing plan down 100%? https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... rt-1-of-3/
- Staying calm and anxiety free during test day: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... aking-out/
- Win every question: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -question/
- Gain some points by guessing: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -the-gmat/

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 06:10
Akela ccooley thanks guys! Your replies have really helped calm me. I chose to take a break all day Saturday. Today and the next few days I’ll just practice solving problems from each section, take a practice test 3-4 days before the exam, and revise my concepts and error logs. Hoping for the best!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 490 Q39 V18
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
A week before GMAT- demotivated and lost  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 06:17
Hey gmatt2019

Guess what? My exam is in 3 days!!
So I understand your situation.
I was nervous from a few days. But realised its just killing my previous time.
So I put that anxiety aside and started solving only gmatprep questions. I collected them for each section and started solving as many as possible.
The day before test, only revise and do super light practice!
Also given your limited time, please stick to gmatprep or og only! Make a mental note of why answers are wrong and it will greatly help you for sure!

Most importantly practice or go through the empowergmat TRIAGE method! You can Google it and you will find a pdf version of it.

Give your best!

We're all rooting for you buddy! :D
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 20:18
Hi, it is natural to feel that way.
Try out many practice tests as that will help you boost confidence

Good luck
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 19:06
I’m glad you reached out, and I”m happy to help. Unfortunately, you are in a pretty tough spot. Looking at the variation in your practice tests scores, it’s clear that you need to focus on improving your quant skills rather than on taking so many practice exams, right? That being said, you likely will need more than just one week to improve those skills. Is there any way you can push your GMAT to a later date?

If you have no choice but to take your GMAT in a week, then the best option would be to begin engaging in focused practice, so you can efficiently find and fix your quant weaknesses. For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

If it turns out that you can push your GMAT to a later date, feel free to reach back out, and I can provide some further advice.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to improve your GMAT quant score.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 16:05
Hi all - just wanted to update you on this post. I took my GMAT today and scored in 600s which was my my target score. Thanks all for your supportive messages :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A week before GMAT- demotivated and lost   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2019, 16:05

A week before GMAT- demotivated and lost

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap