GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jun 2018, 23:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:23) correct 29% (01:28) wrong based on 4559 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

(A) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking

(D) a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

(E) a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/23/us/researchers-get-first-detailed-look-at-magnetic-cloud-from-sun.html

An international group of space scientists said that on Jan. 6 the Sun ejected a pocket of mass from its corona that developed into a giant, tube-shaped magnetic bubble 30 million miles in diameter that hit Earth almost four days later. The expanding cloud of energized particles triggered a large storm in the magnetic field, or magnetosphere, surrounding the planet. The storm brightened the Northern Lights and possibly knocked out a communications satellite.

Originally posted by betterscore on 27 Jul 2012, 09:54.
Last edited by hazelnut on 24 Jun 2018, 23:36, edited 4 times in total.
format
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2012, 18:11
First off, we need to identify whether the scientists are tracking the expanding cloud or the storm. The original sentence clearly indicates that the magnetic field is in the Earth. Therefore, it is the 'expanding cloud...' so we can eliminate (D) and (E). Next we can eliminate (A) because the 'which' incorrectly modifies 'Earth.' The 'it' in (B) is ambiguous. Therefore the answer is (C).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2012, 10:06
The opening modifier should correctly modify the,following portion.
"According to scientists who monitored its path","Its" should properly refer to "an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun".So that leaves out with choice (A),(B) and (C).

(A) has -ism problem at the end of the sentence between "brightened" and "knocking"
(B) "it brightened the Northern Lights" It does not have proper antecedent.
(C)Proper -ism rule maintained

I too need Kudos sometimes !!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2012, 00:15
The problem is the ambiguous pronoun -It-, with many suitors. The key is to get rid of it. As per that, we can safely eliminate B, D. and E. Between A and C, it wouldn’t take much to say no to A for the very blatant touch - rule error, leaving C with good //ism and without pronoun hitch.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2012, 22:18
According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large strom in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brigthened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite

A. an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large strom in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking
--> NONPARALLEL

B.an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large strom in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it the brigthened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked
-->illogical sentence

C.an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large strom in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking
--> CORRECT

D. a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brigthened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked
--> nonparallel/passive

E. a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brigthening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked
--> passive+not parallel

will go with C

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2013, 23:18
betterscore wrote:
According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth. which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field
that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds
Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking

Again people have knocked off B for IT- is ambiguous , I m sry but i don't agree... (it is is parallel and correctly pointing to sub of previous IC)

B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field
that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked

When We say IC, and IC -> that means both are independent....

I was shocked to see my GF with stranger in the restaurant ,and I fainted on my dinning table.

This means I was not fainted because I saw them...the reason might be something else...

In B we are providing a result so 'comma+ and' is wrong

In C we are providing V-ing which provides the result of first clause ...So C correct

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 05:41
I did not understand why the modifier "According to scientists who monitored its path," should modify the cloud of ...... The scientist can monitor the path of storm too right? As they do for storms on earth! Am I missing anything here? Please help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 05:57
anilisanil wrote:
I did not understand why the modifier "According to scientists who monitored its path," should modify the cloud of ...... The scientist can monitor the path of storm too right? As they do for storms on earth! Am I missing anything here? Please help!

Hi anilisanil,

Lets tale your doubt. As per your doubt, if I understood it correctly, Storm could be the Subject of the Sentence. Right. So,lets analyze the following:

D. a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brigthened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

Couple of Problems Here. First "Triggered" is modifying Earth, which is clearly not the Intended Meaning. Secondly, when you have two independent clauses, it must use FANBOYS and COMMA. Comma is missing here. Hence, this option is incorrect.

E. a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brigthening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked
Again, Comma +Fanboys problem is still here. Moreover, this choice is PASSIVE, and is not parallel.

Even if you consider the subject to be Storm, the relevant choices still have some blatant errors. Hence, you have to go for other choices. So, if you are not able to find the subject, I would suggest you to move on to choices and see if those can be ruled out. Had the Choice E been perfectly parallel, but it is in passive voice, I would still refrain myself from marking this as Answer choice. The reason is beacuse of its Passive Nature. You already have a better answer available. Right, so why would you go for something inferior.

Regards
H
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2013, 18:31
Tough call

whenever you see such complex questions AND a modifier is at the beginning of the same, the first thing to think is twofold: attack even aggressive the question and try to figure out the subject of the sentence, what is the critical point of the same. Moreover, is important to figure out the first words of the underlined part at the beginning or at the end to see a split (even the most difficult question have a split, even a single word, no matter what)

Now, we start with According to scientists who monitored its path: to make things simple i see a path, a path of who or whom VS a path of that or which; here the subject is a cloud VS a storm, bot are possible in this scenario in terms of path

D and E ant the end have and it but here i do not see something in terms of antecedent of it: both particles and Lights do not agree, so out.

A B C

an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking

here which is incorrect because it refers to earth but this is impossible that brightened the Northern Lights: has no logical sense. The tenses are not parallel too

an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked

Both bold parts are clearly wrong

we have now C

an expanding cloud (subject) of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered (verb) a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking (the right subordinated clause)

This is more or less the process to tackle the most difficult SC. No matter what. The patterns followed by the exam are not infinite.

Regards. +1 nice question, really.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Aug 2013, 03:12
raiprem123 wrote:
According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

A : an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking
B : an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked
C : an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking
D : a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked
E : a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

According to scientists who monitored its path ==>now whose path scientists are monitoring...
it can be expanding cloud or a large storm....so basis this split we cannot eliminate any choice.

A : an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking
WRONG.
--use of WHICH is wrong.....WHICH is incorrectly referring to EARTH.
--AND ALSO => Together they are redundant.

B : an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked
WRONG.
--AND ALSO => Together they are redundant.
--WHAT RECENTLY=>making sentence unnecessary wordy.
--use of CLAUSE it brightened the northern lights ==> meaning = expanding cloud brightened the northern lights...BUT this is not the intended meaning.....incorrect.

C : an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking
CORRECT.

D : a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked
WRONG.
----brightened and it possibly knocked are not parallel.
----use of IT is redundant.

E : a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked
WRONG.
--USE OF IT is wrong .
--brightening and it possibly knocked are not parallel.

hence C

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Originally posted by blueseas on 16 Aug 2013, 22:55.
Last edited by blueseas on 18 Aug 2013, 03:12, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 07:09
When facing tough question such as this, the easier method will be to fall back on small grammar snippets to eliminate as many wrong choices as possible first; In this case, we can eliminate A and E because, we can see the mismatch of parallelism easily; second we can eliminate B because it uses ‘and also’, a redundant expression. This leaves us with C and D; At a higher level of parallelism, we should avoid the use of the subject or its pronoun in the second arm, if it happens to be same as the subject of first arm; using “it" is said to be redundant in such cases. If the pronoun’s reference is in doubt, then that choice is fit to be dropped. We can eliminate D, and end up with C as the correct choice. This may not be a panacea for situations, but at least a handy tool

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 13:23
According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth. which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking out a communications satellite.

(A) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, which brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocking

(B) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun was what recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, and it brightened the Northern Lights and also possibly knocked

(C) an expanding cloud of energized particles ejected from the Sun recently triggered a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, brightening the Northern Lights and possibly knocking

(D) a large storm in the magnetic field that surrounds Earth, recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightened the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

(E) a large storm in the magnetic field surrounding Earth was recently triggered by an expanding cloud of energized particles, brightening the Northern Lights and it possibly knocked

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 13:13
Jagwant01 wrote:

I feel in option C the word " brightening" is modifying earth which is wrong. Can someone please point out where i am going wrong, and also what is the function of brightening in that sentence.

Hello Jagwant01,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

In Choice C, both brightening... and knocking... are modifiers that are placed after a clause and are preceded by a comma. Hence, they are comma + verb-ing modifiers that modify the action in the preceding clause.

Per the context of the sentence, brightening... and knocking... correctly modify the preceding action triggered. The sentence intends to say that an expanding clause triggered a large storm. This action led to two events. It brightened the Northern Lights and probably knocked out a communication satellite.

Now, the verb-ing modifiers that are not preceded by a comma act as noun modifiers and modify the preceding noun.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 11:19
betterscore wrote:

We need the main subject " an expanding cloud" after comma. So D and E are out.

In A, "which" is wrongly modifying "Earth", and also "it" is ambiguous".

B also has modifying issues.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 06:20
ChrisLele wrote:
First off, we need to identify whether the scientists are tracking the expanding cloud or the storm. The original sentence clearly indicates that the magnetic field is in the Earth. Therefore, it is the 'expanding cloud...' so we can eliminate (D) and (E). Next we can eliminate (A) because the 'which' incorrectly modifies 'Earth.' The 'it' in (B) is ambiguous. Therefore the answer is (C).

ChrisLele Can you please brief how it is referring to expanding cloud and not the storm?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 11:10
Top Contributor
1. The scientists are monitoring the path (its path) of a cloud of energized particles ejected by the Sun -- The pronoun 'its' should refer to the subject of the clause namely, -the cloud-. The cloud is also the nearest noun to the pronoun.

2. As per modification rule, the modified term should be first mentioned immediately after the modifier

3. The storm is the object of the verb triggered. We can't expect a pronoun to jump over the subject to refer to the object.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GPA: 2.33
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 19:02
According to Scientist who monitored It's Path - Which Path they are talking about? D,E Eliminated. It's can't refer to a large storm in the magnetic field.

Eliminate A - ,Which rule
Eliminate B - and also - Redundancy

C is the Correct Answer Choice.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 19:02

According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap